“Great island and mountain golf in one visit”

The Shawnee Inn and Golf Resort
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed June 19, 2013

Once again enjoyed the golf at Shawnee. The course in the valley provides a great mountain backdrop for a nice round of golf. The use of a river island for 2/3rd of the 27 holes provides some nice river views and more than a few holes where water comes into play. The best is the par 3 holes shooting over the river on the blue and red courses. Not hard for the distance but it gets your mind playing the possibilities, which is the best part. Not a lot of elevation changes but a nice layout that will provide some challenge for the low handicappers and still bailout areas for the occasional golfer. Some tricky greens make it a fun course that I look forward to playing again.

If you have the time you can take a break at the snack house that has a nice selection, outdoor covered seating and great views for many holes. You can sit and enjoy the golf. Also check out the veranda at the hotel overlooking some finishing holes and the river.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank On_the_go_with_joe_m

Reviewed June 4, 2013

We have been going to the Poconos for at least one weekend per year for the last ten years. This year we decide to go to Shawnee Inn, usually we stayed at the Shawnee Wyndham Villas. The room I have was great with stove, dish washer and microwave. My son love the pillow menu and the cookie left for him with his pillow order. We love the River Grill that we can order wine bottle and they serve it on the porch, and the breakfast buffet was fantastic. And the bell service who would not let us lift a bag. I love staying here and we don't even play golf.... The course look great! And we have a lot of fun on the river adventure.

We did have a very bad check-in which the service was rude and he did not listen to our second room double bed request. We have to go all the way back down to check-in to correct the problem. That was all resolved in time but the attitude remain from the same person all weekend with any request, is a automatic no.........

We love the breakfast buffet, breakfast at the country store and lunch at the Gemstone pub is fantastic. They have really improve on the craft beer offering and the quality of food. I will be coming back to Shawnee soon but not so sure about the Inn if the front desk service do not improve.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank schong
Rob H, General Manager at The Shawnee Inn and Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2013

Schong,

We are so glad that you came back and love your breakfast buffet and The Gem and Keystone™ Brewpub. The head brewer at ShawneeCraft® Brewing Company has been working really hard to make all those different types of beers for our guests to enjoy.
We are not happy that you had a bad encounter with out front desk staff and I will have a talk with the front desk manager to resolve this problem.
I hope that we will see you again soon.

Reviewed June 4, 2013

Had a great time with my family of 4 (wife and 2 boys 11 and 15). The place has been around for a long time but is clean and updated. Staff vey friendly. Loved the grounds and the golf course was really nice and affordable. 2 tennis courts a plus but could be a problem if occupied. Nice spa and indoor pool. If you are into mountain biling definitely bring your bike rack and bikes for awesome biking on the McDade Trail which is a 30 mile trail through the woods and along the river. Not too many hills. Food was very good and reasonably priced, especially the pub. Breakfast was awesome on the veranda. Piano player Friday and Saturday evenings was a nice touch. Enjoyed the old photos on the walls showing prior famous guests including Mickey Mantle and Bob Hope. Nearby is the playhouse if you want to see a play. Movies nearby in town along with restaurants.

The only negative would be the Shawnee River Company which rents canoes and kayaks on the shore of the premises. The hourly rate for a tandem kayak was $37.80 including tax and insurance. Not sure why I pay the insurance when it is their business and they need to incur that cost. So they tell you $30 for 1 hour and it turns into $37.80! What a ripoff but I didn't want to disappoint my son so I paid it reluctantly. 1 hour shouldn't cost more than $20 bucks max.

Room Tip: If only 2 people go with King Bed as the 2 Queens made the room tight
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank sacker17
Reviewed May 21, 2013

The place was nice but the room was a bit small with no microwave or fridge. You can hardly walk between the TV stand and the bed. I probably would not go here again. My wife found this place in living social, and usually they give us some kind of coupon in regards to the included free breakfast. The pool doesn't open until very late, 10am which doesn't give you much time if you say one day checkout is 11am.

The not so good: When we go there was no one at the front desk. Someone had to go look for them although it wasn't that long. At the end of our stay we mentioned that they did not remind us or give us anything about the free room. We actually paid for breakfast but totally forgot about that it was included. They basically said it was our fault, and there was nothing they could do about it. I have a feeling that anything you complain about here is going to be blamed back at the customer and you will get the "yeah, yeah, yeah" response.

I stayed at other resorts in the area, and it's like night and day how organized the other places are in contrast to this one.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Brian Z
Rob H, General Manager at The Shawnee Inn and Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 25, 2013

Thank you for taking time out to write about your time here at our resort. I apologize for the lack of guest service you received. Rest assured that I will share your experience with our staff. Our employee mission is to deliver exceptional service to every guest at every opportunity. Please ask any staff member if you return and they should know that. If you are looking for a modern, spacious resort with microwaves and refrigerators in every room, you will not find it at this resort. We are a historic resort with unique in room amenities that you will not find at most resorts in our region. We are in a beautiful location, we have a variety of activities and a few dining options. We hope that you will reconsider and try us again.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

I recently spent 3 days/2 nights at the Shawnee Inn and experienced a wonderful time. Twenty guys on an overnight golf trip that included a round at Great Bear which is a great compliment to the 27 holes at Shawnee. Both courses were in excellent early season condition. The management staff at Shawnee has always been outstanding and seems to get better each year. The general staff are always very professional, courteous and attentive.

In addition my wife spent a "Girls Spa Weekend" at Shawnee with her family back in March. Another very enjoyable time....Spa Staff, Reservations/Front Desk Staff and Dining Staff were all excellent. Accommodations go above and beyond and rooms are always spotless. We will be returning very soon....CAN'T WAIT!!!!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank Walter W
Rob H, General Manager at The Shawnee Inn and Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2013

Thank you for writing about your experience at Shawnee. I would also like to thank you for staying with us and continuing to return. We hope to see you again in the near future. Please reach out to is if you need anything special.

Reviewed May 6, 2013

I had the most amazing weekend at the Shawnee Inn! I met Rob, the General Manager of the Inn, and he was friendly, personable and informative! There is no better place to stay in the Poconos. I had another great golf lesson with Max Frey, who is a new addition to the resort. He is patient, helpful, and knowledgeable. I give the whole experience 5 stars!!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank JillM8
Reviewed April 25, 2013

Tara,

Thank you for the follow up email and the kind offer to return. I must tell you that I surprised my wife with this trip for her birthday. She had no idea where we were going until we pulled up to the front entrance. Our experience at the Inn was wonderful. I am retired military and my family and I have traveled the world and have stayed at some amazing places. But I can tell you that, in our opinion, staying at the Shawnee Inn was absolutely one of the most relaxing and stress free get aways for us. We love the history and the "Great Gatsby" feel of the inn and every employee we came into contact with were exceptional. Gary in Sales and Teresa at the front desk were the last two people we saw prior to our departure and they just did a wonderful job. The dining room room employees, the amazing "omelet man" at the breakfast buffet, cleaning staff, maintenance workers all were very pleasant and professional and just made us feel welcome! You are extremely fortunate to work in a beautiful and historic place and to work with kind, generous, and overall people that a guest want to meet and enjoy during there stay.

We will be back!

Pocono Manor Resort & Spa
#2 of 2 in Pocono Manor
Bushkill Inn & Conference Center
Wolf Hollow at The Water Gap Country Club
Wolf Hollow at The Water Gap Cou...
#1 of 3 in Delaware Water Gap
Staybridge Suites East Stroudsburg - Poconos
Staybridge Suites East Stroudsbu...
#4 of 8 in East Stroudsburg
Holiday Inn Express Stroudsburg - Poconos
Skytop Lodge
Skytop Lodge
#1 of 1 in Skytop

Been to The Shawnee Inn and Golf Resort? Share your experiences!