“Awesome!”

The Shawnee Inn and Golf Resort
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed March 23, 2013

My husband and I have never been to the Poconos and Shawnee Inn and Golf Resort was recommended to us by a friend. Upon our arrival, the desk clerk ( I am so sorry I can't quite recall the name) was very friendly and listened to my requests for a room. Not only did he listen, but he convered with the manager on duty to convey to me that we were being upgraded and that they wanted us to have an enjoyable first visit. My husband and I checked into our room on the third floor overlooking the river with a fireplace and were so excited about our upcoming weekend stay. It was updated, quiet, and comfortable. The only suggestion to staff is to add one more chair to the room so both of us could watch out the window at the beautiful river and that day, the falling snow.
Unfortunately, and sadly, we received a very upsetting call about a death in the family and had to leave immediately.
The staff was very understanding and we recently received notice that we were granted a total refund.
We can't wait to come back.
This hotel is charming & the staff is amazing. We thank them for their understanding at a very difficult time.
Prior to our leaving, a quick tour of the hotel showed a lovely indoor pool, a few guests shared their rooms and each is unique. I would guess that if you just let the staff know prior to arrival about your individual needs (kitchenette, sitting area, view, fireplace, floor level preference, etc.) that they are most accommodating.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank littlemoose

Reviewed March 19, 2013

This was our second getaway at the Shawnee Inn and we will probably go back again! While I agree that the rooms are somewhat small by today's standards (especially the bathroom), they more than makes up for it in character. We also loved the huge indoor pool and large sun porch, as well as the surrounding grounds. Another plus was the staff, who bent over backwards to make sure our stay was enjoyable. We will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Joseph K
Reviewed March 18, 2013

This hotel while they had great customer service really could use some updating. The doors on the end of each floor look like they were from an old psych ward. In addition, the walls are paper thin so you hear everything and I mean everything. We went on a Living Social deal and the room category they assigned was like the size of a closet. The hotel buffet breakfast, which was included was satisfactory at most. I do not think I will be back.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Rob H, General Manager at The Shawnee Inn and Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2013

Thank you for your review. We appreciate that you found us through one of partners, Living Social. We are a 100 year-old resort and have features that are not used in the construction of current facilities. As we progress as a resort we will continue to make changes to improve the guest experience without changing our historic feel. I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations. Our building is historic and one of a kind, but it is also the level of service and quality of activites and amenties that make Shawnee a unique experience. Try us again in the Summer or Fall. I trust you will not be disappointed.

Reviewed March 18, 2013

This was my third visit to Shawnee and I suspect my last. The menu and food have deteriorated. The dinner menu is extremely limited and the pork loin was so tough that one of my friends couldn't even eat it. I had chicken breast and it was dry, even though they put a little sauce on it. Another friend asked for her steak medium rare, and it came out very rare and cold. She had to send it back. And the place wasn't even that busy so there was no excuse for those problems. The breakfast buffet was the highlight of the meals. The appeitizers they offered (Beef teriyaki and vegetable crudi or whatever it was called) were a joke. The beef was tough and the vegetables were just sliced zucchini with a little bit of other stuff mixed in. But the real disappointment was the Spa. I signed up for a facial, an exfoliation, and a massage. The exfoliation machine wasn't working correctly I was told so I couldn't get the exfoliation. They offered me another service to be performed the next day when I was leaving, but I couldn't stay to take advantage of it. The exfoliation machine worked for one of my friends perfectly so it might have been an operator problem. In any case, they would not give me a refund nor any products to compensate for the "payment" of the exfoliation procedure. When you go to a Spa and expect to have Spa treatments and travel hours to get there, it's very disappointing to not get those treatments but pay for them anyways. My package included the Spa treatments. Next year I'm going to convince my friends to go elsewhere. Why go there? The food is bad and the Spa doesn't work properly. You can't play golf in the winter. Maybe if you only want to ski that's the place to go, just don't eat the food or use the Spa.

Room Tip: There are alot of lady bugs so ask to see the room before you get it to check for the lady bugs.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for your review. Though difficult to read, there are some items here that are embarrasing as an operator that we could not execute properly. I apologize and have no excuse for why your experience did not exceed your expectations. I have been over your review with our staff and have made some changes to the dining menu and the equipment in the spa to ensure a more pleasurable experience. our emphasis on guest service and ensuring the quality of your stay is foremost in the minds of all the staff at our resort. I hope you will reconsider and give us another try.

Reviewed March 18, 2013

I spent the weekend at the Shawnee Inn. The only reason I didn't give 5 starts was because the rooms are small and the walls are thin. It was great otherwise. I don't know if they hire their staff based on personality, but everyone there was beyond friendly. It didn't feel fake. They were just really great people. From the lotions and shampoos, from the "pillow list" to the cookies before you go to bed, I just loved everything about this place. They let us check in early on friday and we were able to make it for the tour of the brewery. The pool was a great size and the lifeguard on duty was actually looking out for people. Not just there to collect a pay check. The breakfast is a full breakfast - omelte station, waffle maker, cereal, eggs, sausage, bacon, buscuits and gravy, yogurt, bagels. We went skiing on saturday. You can use you guest card to get 30% off your ski tickets. The beautiful scenery, the great people, good food will make me come back. I just can't say enough good thinkgs about this place.

Room Tip: Room 224 is a larger room.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank NoVacation
Reviewed March 12, 2013

Stayed for a ski weekend Feb. 22-24 2013 under the hotel's "ski and stay package" with discounted lift tickets and rentals, so convenient. Accommodations were part of their "Legacy collection" in the Sycamore cottage, which sleeps 8, plenty of room for myself two daughters and two of their friends.

Cottage has 3 bedrooms w/ a full bathroom in each (2 W/ King beds 1 w/ 2 double beds, sleeps 8) , living area with leather sofa's, woodburning fireplace, flat screen tv and kitchenette, very comfortable. Parking right next to cottage making it very easy to bring all your "stuff" inside. Didn't get a chance to use the indoor pool but it looked great. Nice hot complimentary breakfast each morning, professional courteous staff.

Shawnee mountain ski area located less than 3 miles from this hotel. Freash mountain air and scenery only an easy hour and a half drive from N.Y.C. Can't go wrong, can't wait to return.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Pete222_13
Reviewed February 21, 2013

My wife and daughter and I spent a recent Saturday night(February 2013) at the Shawnee Inn and had a wonderful time. We arrived early in order to ski at the nearby mountain and we were allowed to check in several hours in advance. After a day of skiing we returned to the hotel and were pleasantly surprised to find a piano player in the lobby for most of the evening. We enjoyed some cocktails in the lobby sitting area listening to the wonderful music before getting ready to head for dinner. I requested a river view room and was ecsatic to wake up , open the curtains and see not one, but two bald eagles perched in a nearby tree. It was a rare treat for me and my daughter and a great way to start another great day of skiing.
The room was great and the bed and pillows very comfortable. The staff were all very friendly and courteous, especially the front desk staff and bellhop(did not get his name). We love this great old Inn and will be back.

Room Tip: Second or third floor rooms with a river view and in some cases, hardwood floors, are worth the extr...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank chance003

Thank you for your review. I am so glad that you were able to see the bald eagles. The outdoors are such a wonderful part of the Shawnee experience. Located on the edge of the Delaware River and surrounded by the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area, the Shawnee Inn and Golf Resort prides itself on possessing one of the most breathtaking locations. Come on the Summer and Fall and experience a tour of our Farm, campfire with Smores, hayride and many other great activities. I will pass along your accolades to the staff and hope to see you here in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Shawnee on Delaware
Pocono Manor Resort & Spa
Pocono Manor Resort & Spa
#2 of 2 in Pocono Manor
Stroudsmoor Country Inn
Stroudsmoor Country Inn
#5 of 8 in Stroudsburg
Staybridge Suites East Stroudsburg - Poconos
Staybridge Suites East Stroudsbu...
#4 of 7 in East Stroudsburg
Bushkill Inn & Conference Center
Hampton Inn Stroudsburg / Poconos
Skytop Lodge
Skytop Lodge
#1 of 1 in Skytop

Been to The Shawnee Inn and Golf Resort? Share your experiences!