“Worthington Suite is Superb!”

The Shawnee Inn and Golf Resort
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed September 30, 2012

We spent 3 days and 2 nights in the Worthington Suite and had a blast. The Worthington building is separate from the main inn, located among golf condos but an easy 5 minute walk to the main building. You cannot beat the Shawnee Inn's location on the banks of the Delaware River. They have a beautiful porch with rocking chairs overlooking the River. You can walk along the river and the have a number of benches along the edge.
Our room was incredible, Worthington 2 West on the 2nd floor. The room had a fully equipped kitchen, a beautiful sitting area with gas fireplace, huge bathroom with jacuzzi tub, and extremely comfortable king sized bed. All modern and comfortable. We especially loved the fireplace, very romantic.
The service was wonderful. I told them we were coming for our wedding anniversary and when we got to our room there was a card and chocolate covered strawberries waiting for us. The concierge Tara was very helpful providing information on the Delaware Water Gap and they had a great guide on local hiking prepared by the Inn.
We ate in the River Room during our stay and everything was delicious. Again staff was great and we appreciated that the bar tender remembered us the next night when we came in again for a drink.
Overall we had a wonderful experience and would highly recommend the Worthington Suite.

3  Thank Kate M

Reviewed September 29, 2012

Played this tract for the first time in 15 years. Back then it needed a lot of TLC which I guess they couldn't afford ? Now, it is in the best shape I think I have ever seen. This mature course has 27 great holes that harken back to the "Old Days". No gimmicks, just Golf. Take some time and stroll through the halls and view the photos of the good times and the not so good. Quiet and picture perfect at this time of year. Give it a try. I think you will be suprised........

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank patm610
Reviewed September 24, 2012

The Shawnee offers a relaxing getaway whether you are a golf buff or not. The grounds on the Delaware River are beautiful and anyone can enjoy the putting green. The hotel is lovely and the staff is friendly and helpful. On site restaurant offers good food. And it is very close to I80. We would recommend it highly. The only problem was that we had an adjoining room and we coujld hear the people in the next room.

Room Tip: Make sure it is not an adjoining room
1  Thank BobandLinda_11
Reviewed September 22, 2012

We stayed at the Inn for a family wedding, in December, so Golf was not an issue for us. The room was old, small and had a king sized bed crushed into it when it was probably originally made for a double bed. The bathroom was old. While not dirty, as such, the place had a feel, putting it nicely, of not modern.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
robhowell, General Manager at The Shawnee Inn and Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2012

Dear Bon6124,

I am sorry to hear that you felt our rooms and bathrooms were on the small side. Because the property was built in 1911, each guest room has a unique configuration and may differ in size. These lodging variations are typical of historic properties and we hope people see this as part of the charm and elegance of our beautiful Poconos resort. I will speak to our housekeeping department about the cleanliness of your room. There is no excuse for the room not being clean. I apologize and hope you will give our resort another chance.

Reviewed September 17, 2012

We just spent 4 days and 3 nights at the Shawnee Inn and we had a great time. The staff was friendly and very helpful. The room was clean and spacious. We would definetly come back and recommed it to everyone.

1  Thank Colleen J
Reviewed September 16, 2012

We stayed 3 nights for a famiy reunion that was central to MA, NJ and VA. The location is excellent - only a couple miles from I-80 and in a quiet spot right on the Delaware River. Shawnee Inn is a grand old lady; while it is not the most modern, it is well-maintained. The staff is friendly and the rooms are clean and comfortable. The owners have put a lot of effort into recovering from flood damage several years ago. There are two excellent on-site restaurants. One drawback is no free breakfast, but there is a coffee shop with bagels, pastries, etc. The golf course is uniquely located on an island mid-river and is well-kept. Recently an on-site brewery opened, and the beer is good. If you like to canoe, the canoes and kayaks are right on site for easy adventure. There are attractions nearby such as the Delaware Water Gap - check out "Nature's Air Conditioner" (cold air blowing out from a cave).

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank PLEC5699
Reviewed September 13, 2012

My husband and I orginally had reservations at the Fernwood Resort. We spent about 5 minutes at the Fernwood and knew that we couldn't stay there. I called my daughter from the parking lot and she looked online and said there was a place called Shawnee Inn not far from where we were. After some confusion with a phone number to Shawnee Inn we decided to drive there. My husband went it to see if they had any rooms available. He came out and said, that yes they had rooms available and that he thought I'd like it. We stayed in a Legacy Room. It was beautiful. Corner room with windows on two walls so we had two different views of the mountains. Hard wood floors and a newly remodeled bathroom. Our particular room didn't have a tub, but had a beautiful shower. No detail was left out in the remodeling of this room. Corner fireplace, beautiful desk and furnishings. The staff couldn't have been more accomodating. As we walked the hall we saw a housekeeper cleaning a room. I peaked my head in and asked her if I could look at the room. I just wanted to make sure all the rooms were as nice as ours or if we had just been "lucky". We looked at 4 different rooms and they were all unique. No 2 alike, but we noticed that the same consideration to detail had been displayed throughout all the rooms. Each room that we saw was just charming and cozy. Some rooms were larger than others, and some had seating areas where others didn't. I never saw any torn, worn or dirty carpeting, walls etc. Everything was clean and neat. We had dinner in the River Room twice while we stayed there. The prices may seem high, but in reality with the quality and freshness of the food, my husband and I both felt the prices were reasonable. (They grow their own vegetables on the grounds). There is something for everyone here. My husband golfed while I sat by the river and read a book. A campfire every evening on the lawn with all the smores fixings if you'd like. A young man with a guitar played and sang everything from Bob Dylan to Johnny Cash. I visited with a gardener who was tending the flower beds. I told him how much I appreciated all his hard work in keeping the flowers and grounds so beautiful. Although he was busy working, he took the time to stop and talk with me for a few minutes. Every staff member we came in contact with was more than gracious and went out of there way to be helpful. The 2nd evening we were there we ate at The Gem and Keystone (at the entrance) really good Pub style food. My husband commented on the beer selection and our waitress informed us that we could get a tour of the onsite brewery. We need only ask at the front desk of the Inn. My husband asked on Wednesday and was told they do brewery tours on Tuesdays and Thursdays. He was somewhat disappointed and told the concierge that we would be leaving Thursday. She caught up with him a few minutes later with Brandon, who does the tours and Brandon told my husband that he would be more than happy to take him on the tour in just a few minutes. My husband came and got me and we had our own personal tour of their wonderful brewery. So interesting and I'm not a beer drinker..lol! There was so much to do there that we couldn't fit it all in in 4 days. We will definitely be going back. The trails to walk are beautiful. Our routine had become to go to the little coffee shop right off the lobby and get a cup of coffee and bagel to eat on the veranda. While waiting for my husband in the coffee shop this morning I met a man who obviously worked at the Inn. He was asking about our stay and I told him how much I loved it and what had brought us there in the first place. Very nice guy. He seemed genuinely interested in our thoughts and that we had a great time. Towards the end of our conversation he introduced himself as the General Manager of the Shawnee Inn. We told him what a wonderful time we had and that we would be coming back.

If you are looking for a place where you can regroup and hear yourself think again, or just have time to read a book or two and relax without having an agenda or schedule to follow, you will love this place. My husband commented that in our 4 day stay he only checked the time once and that was the first morning as the sun came pouring in our window. If you are looking for fast paced night life Las Vegas style vacation, you will not enjoy this place. However, if you need a little TLC for yourself and reconnect with your family and possibly make some new friends, the Shawnee Inn and all the staff there can make that happen for you.

Room Tip: ask when you make your reservation. We told them what we wanted (room with a view, a queen or king...
2  Thank 1joe2bec
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shawnee on Delaware
Pocono Manor Resort & Spa
Pocono Manor Resort & Spa
#2 of 2 in Pocono Manor
Bushkill Inn & Conference Center
Staybridge Suites East Stroudsburg - Poconos
Staybridge Suites East Stroudsbu...
#4 of 7 in East Stroudsburg
Wolf Hollow at The Water Gap Country Club
Wolf Hollow at The Water Gap Cou...
#1 of 3 in Delaware Water Gap
Skytop Lodge
Skytop Lodge
#1 of 1 in Skytop
Pocono Palace Resort
Pocono Palace Resort
#1 of 2 in Marshalls Creek

Been to The Shawnee Inn and Golf Resort? Share your experiences!