“Gem in the heart of the Poconos”

The Shawnee Inn and Golf Resort
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed January 2, 2012

We decided at the last minute to spend New Years weekend in the Poconos. We have stayed there dozens of times in places long gone - the Summit (don't hold this against me - we were young, impoverished and madly in love!), Caesar's Brookdale & Paradise Stream, and Mt. Airy Lodge (gone) and Casino (amazing since the reno!) and just wanted some R&R for a long weekend. We had numerous experience as you can see from the range of properties we have visited in the Poconos. The Shawnee was a LOVELY experience and we have already booked again for February. The Queen bed standard room had great bath amenities including robes, full luxury bedding and a was decorated in the mode of the Waldorf rooms (late 19th century - deep cherry wood furniture, high poster bed, striped ivory tone-on-tone wallpaper, ultra-high molded ceilings - we were on the third floor - even has the old vented windows above the door, now sealed with a fresh coat of paint, and of course, a coffee pot with teas and coffee packs). The GM was there to personally welcome everyone checking in, and the property was lovely with Christmas decor throughout. It sits on a spectacular lake right over the Delaware Water Gap and although it was New Years Eve, it would have been warm enough to golf on what looks to be a spectacular course, but don't hold me to it since this was not open durin our stay. The staff were all friendly and efficient, rooms, though small, are serviceable and quite lovely with all needed furnishings throughout, and there was a very tasteful room filled with Nativity sets from the world worth a walk through while there. The coffee shop was the best, and next time with better planning we will try the restaurants (there was a New Years party on the property which we missed but it was absolutely lovely inside the main dining room and I am sorry we didn't plan it better or we might have attended). It is about 20 minutes to the Crossings Outlets and Mt. Airy Casino, and right in the heart of ski locations which abound in the area, and the location is perfect if the Poconos is your destination.

We most certainly will return here and loved it enough to book another stay in February before we left!

Room Tip: There are family rooms with full kitchens; some connect with additional bedrooms. Also trying a Kin...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank CathyBNewYork_NY
robhowell, General Manager at The Shawnee Inn and Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2012

Dear CathyBNewYork - Thank you for your review. We are delighted that you enjoyed the charm of our historic resort. We are fortunate to have a friendly and efficient staff that wants our guests to have an amazing experience. We look forward to seeing you again in February. Please make sure you reach out to our concierge if you require anything before your arrival.

Reviewed January 2, 2012

We stayed for 2 nights in late Dec. Got 2 connecting rooms, one with king bed, the other with 2 full-sized beds. Beds were comfortable, but not much room for anything else in the room. Expect everything that goes along with an old inn...small rooms, not enough outlets, bathrooms are functional not luxurious, noise from hallway may be an issue However, we had a really nice time. Every person I met here was friendly and helpful. The food at the River Room and Brew Pub was great, and the buffet breakfast was very good. Indoor pool, pool table and darts at the pub, nice spa for manicures/pedicures/massage etc. was nice. Cant beat 5 mins. to a ski center that is great for kids. I think it can be expensive for the size of the rooms, and it's true that a few maintenance issues were evident (some furniture was worn, peeling wallpaper in some areas) but anyone who lives in an older house knows that there is always something to attend to. One thing that would make me feel better about the rates would be nice soft towels in the bathrooms, soft tissues, a few more lotions in the bathroom, and little amenities that boutique hotels have. Ask about the size of rooms when booking, and be flexible enough with dates to try for a lower rate if you can stay a week or two later.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank chocoholic78

Dear chocoholic78 - Thank you for your review. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. When our propery was built 100 years ago, they did not have the same idea about room sizes and configurations that we do when we are building properties today. The comfort of our guests when it comes to service, soft goods and other amenities is very important. We continue to try to make improvements and hope to see you again in the future so that you can witness these upgrades in person. Thanks again.

Reviewed December 31, 2011

We've just returned from a 1-night stay at the Shawnee Inn and Golf Resort and had a wonderful stay! We made last-minute reservations on new years' weekend and the reservations staff was very helpful in ensuring we could make the trip. The hotel itself is historic with lots of charm. The rooms are not large but have all the necessities and comforts to make your stay enjoyable. The grounds were beautiful and we had room(s - we had two rooms - one for my husband and me and one for our two children) facing the Delaware. Our children enjoyed swimming in the indoor pool the night before heading out for the a day on the slopes. If I had any complaints - and it's a BIG if - it would be only that we had no menus for room service in either of our rooms and when I went out searching for one, the front desk directed me to the restaurant and the hostess at the restaurant directed me to the front desk! Otherwise, everyone was friendly; everyone was helpful! And we enjoyed ourselves very, very much.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank CBMKTM

Dear CBMKTM - Thank you for your review. We are so glad that you made a decision to spend New Years' with us. I apologize for the misdirection regarding room service. I hope you will return again. Happy New Year!

Reviewed December 2, 2011

I went for my Birthday in November with my husband and had the best time of my life. It was very comfortable the beds were very plush and they had a fire place in the lobby where you can sit and meet other guest. Two restaurants and a cafe. The staff were nice and very helpful. I will definitely go again and recommend to others.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sxyckm
robhowell, General Manager at The Shawnee Inn and Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded December 12, 2011

Dear sxyckm: Thank you for your review and celebrating your birthday with us. We look forward to seeing you here again at Shawnee.

Reviewed November 29, 2011

I've been going here since i was born. every year around Christmas time me and my family go here and stay at the fairway village. those have the biggest rooms. i've also stayed at ridge top but those are smaller. the size of fairway village is so big. it fits my whole family which is about 35-40 people comfortably. we don't all sleep there just my family of 5 and my grandparents. the rest just come and we have a Christmas party. it is set up like an old resort type. it has an inn and it has villa's. each villa varies in size. the fairway village is in walking distance of the Delaware river. The rooms are very clean. in our villa we have a queen sized bed, 2 doubles and a pull out couch. they offer a full kitchen and 2 1/2 bathrooms. the closets have alot of space. each room has 2 full sized walk in closets. they have really big living rooms which my whole family fits in. the porch is a pretty decent size. at the inn there is a large Olympic sized swimming pool with a 10 ft deep diving end. there is also a fire place and library. at the rec hall they have a gym, a basketball court, an arcade and another large pool. they also have a fast food restaurant on the site in the rec center. they have a gift shop and a deli/ bagel store also on site. they have a red box at the rec center. the staff is generally friendly. the only problem i had was with the life guards. my 7 year old sister was having trouble swimming and a life guard who was wearing a sweat shirt jumped in. she looked annoyed because she got her sweat shirt wet and she kept giving us dirty looks. the pools are heated and are warm. the resort is only a 5 minute drive from the Shawnee ski mountain. they also have a playhouse on site. there are playgrounds and alot of activities for kids. there is also a full golf course on site. this resort is great.

Room Tip: The Ridge top villa's are a little small. if you go here go for the fairway village because it i...
  • Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank ozzy497

Thank you for your review. I am so glad that your stay at Wyndham Shawnee, our local partner, was good. I will pass along your review to the management of the villas. We hope you will join us at our historic resort sometime right alomg the Delaware River.

Reviewed November 29, 2011

This an absolutely beautiful, old hotel. It's 100 years old this year and you wouldn't know it. Very well kept.

The entrance and lobby are absolutely beautiful. Old wood, banister stairway, leather couches to lounge on.

Our room (207) was right at the top of the stairway in the main hallway split. Its layout was different from a normal hotel room because of its location. We had plenty of room for our stay. There was a comfy king size bed with plenty of pillows. There was a couch to lounge on by the window. This room even had a little kitchenette (stove, fridge, microwave & dishwasher).

One thing I'd see as a drawback for some, but not us, was you had to step up into the bathroom. The other drawback for us of the technical generation was finding enough outlets to charge our electronic devices. I'd recommend bringing a power strip if you are staying more than a day or 2. It's an old hotel, so we completely understood.

Can't wait to bring the kids back during either ski season or the summer.

• Stayed: November 2011
2  Thank Soundtracklover

Dear Soundtracklover - We are thrilled that you enjoyed your time here at our resort. Thank you for your review. Our historic resort offers a truly magical atmosphere and some of the charm is in the quirkiness of its offerings. I apologize for anything that made your stay less then exceptional. I hope you will come and visit us again in the near future.

Reviewed November 29, 2011

Our wedding reception took place at the Shawnee Inn Golf Resort.
Once we arrived at the reception our guests were starting the cocktail hour up on the veranda porch and we all went towards the river to take pictures. As I go up to the cocktail hour, I hear the power is out. I did not just panic yet, because I figured that the generator would be able to work and everything would be okay. My wedding planner was nowhere to be found and she only spoke to me twice that night. The first thing I saw happen was my friend Austin who is paralyzed from the neck down and in a very expensive wheelchair had to be carried up a huge flight of stairs by guests at my own wedding! This was due because the elevators were not working. As we started to go inside it was pitch black and some candles were lit, I walked into the ballroom, where my DJ was sitting and said “yep its been out since I got here which was at like 430.” And I just started bawling because all the stress and work that went into this and it turns out like this. The management kept saying 20mins consistently and two hours later nothing was turned on. Finally around 645 (dinner was suppose to be served at 6pm) the guests started gathering into the ballroom. As they were moving into the room I was in the bathroom still crying. Since there was no music to introduce me, the wedding coordinator said we can move the piano in the room for your first dance, and that just tore me apart. I denied the offer. I was so confused on why there was no generator’s for a place like this. Although a newspaper article in 2006 said that their main generators were moved to the main floor. I had no idea where my parents were to come and find out they were arguing with the management. We were finally all introduced around 715pm with no music, no a/c and no lights! Luckily the DJ got everyone to sing the Rocky theme for us when we walked in. Everyone was finally able to start eating dinner around 8:00pm. It was a buffet set-up and remind you that it was suppose to be served at 6:00pm and it was sitting out since 5:00pm. The food was luke-warm and there were no servers to serve us the food and you could not even see what it was! There was no signs to display what each food was! My parents never got to eat because they were too busy talking with the management, and they couldn’t even enjoy the wedding. There was no champagne toast because the servers decided to pour the champagne back into the bottle. A family friend slipped and hurt herself in the bathroom because she could not see. For music a family friend had an ipod dock and we played an ipod for a good hour before two friends left to go get their OWN generator. Luckily that is what was able to get us to play music for about an hour and forty-five minutes. We rushed through the first dance, and the parent dances along with the bouquet toss which was not how I imagined it to be. All the planning of certain songs during Dinner (especially a song that was dedicated to his father) and all the songs I wanted played during our reception did not happen. There was no A/C to top it off and people left early because of it. I did not get to enjoy my family and friends that I have not seen in months and years. I did not get to enjoy any of that! I am still outraged and hurt by how my wedding went and I never want it to happen to anyone else. To top it all off at the end of the night the staff called the cops on us because we would not leave, even though they extended our time for an extra hour. I began to cry once more, and then when everyone left I could not even say goodbye to everyone and we were handed a flashlight to go to our room on the third floor in pitch black. The whole reception was a nightmare and it’s hard to grasp that everyone will remember my wedding day as the power outage, and not how beautiful it was. It was the farthest thing from what I imagined and it tears me apart. I wanted to feel beautiful and special on my special day and that took it all away from me. Shawnee Inn completely lacked in their customer service and we are still continuing for this to be justified. My father tried speaking with the owners three times and was denied each time. The stress is suppose to be over after the wedding and it still continues. DO NOT GET MARRIED HERE!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Stroudsmoor Country Inn
Stroudsmoor Country Inn
#4 of 8 in Stroudsburg
Quality Inn - East Stroudsburg POCONOS
Quality Inn - East Stroudsburg P...
#2 of 7 in East Stroudsburg
Staybridge Suites East Stroudsburg - Poconos
Staybridge Suites East Stroudsbu...
#4 of 7 in East Stroudsburg
8 mi away
Hampton Inn & Suites Stroudsburg Bartonsville
Skytop Lodge
Skytop Lodge
#1 of 1 in Skytop

Been to The Shawnee Inn and Golf Resort? Share your experiences!