“We had a Nice Vacation”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Shawnee on Delaware
Shawnee River Village 2
Reviewed September 5, 2007

We had a nice vat ion at Shawnee. the unit we were in turned out to be perfectly placed. With the exception of that silly red tub I was very comfortable in our unit. r143. It was all the way at the end and it was peaceful. I loved my screened in porch!!!!!. We enjoyed making some gourmet meals that were better than any restaurant we could go to. The kitchen had everything, and the inventory staff were happy to lend me the blender or anything else we neededt.

We also enjoyed some nearby attractions such as water parks, hiking and kayaking. However we were somewhat disappointed with Shawnee Activities. I was looking forward to the Activity schedule b/c Shawnee is known for that. I felt that the Activities staff were young and most of the time, they seemed uninterested in the guests and more interested in each other. I participated in about 6 activities during my week and frankly I was disappointed with the spirit of the staff. It seems that there is so many units now that there are just too many people to accommodate us all.
I may return to Shawnee now that I can navigate the surroundings... I just will not expect so much from the activities staff.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank Rainbow volcano 44

Reviewed June 2, 2007

We just returned from a week long stay at Shawnee River Village 2.

The accommodations are really more of a town house type rather than a single room. The unit we stayed in had a comfortable downstairs containing a kitchen, dining area, and living room. The upstairs contained a master bedroom with attached bathroom. The upstairs also had a second bedroom and a separate bath. The unit will sleep four adults nicely. Above that you are pushing it.

The unit was clean and functional overall. The overall feel of the place was a bit dated. The beds were starting to show some wear as well. A small problem with the upstairs toilet was fixed promptly by the staff.

The kitchen had a full sized refrigerator, stove, dishwasher, and microwave. A small stack-able clothes washer and dryer is located in the closet near the kitchen. The kitchen facilities were very handy and useful. The laundry inside the unit was handy as well. The downstairs has an open floor plan and we had plenty of room for conversation and dining.

When we checked in, the main outdoor pool was open. The lower outdoor pool was closed the entire time. During our stay, the main outdoor pool was drained. We were told someone had cut themselves in the pool. I don't know how that requires the entire draining of the pool. I suspect it was open just long enough for the Memorial Day crowd and then drained for a larger issue than just a minor injury. We were told the main outdoor pool would be open on the day we were to check out. However, when we checked out, it still was not open.

The clubhouse has an almost overpowering smell of chlorine from the indoor pool. We did use the indoor pool a couple of times, but we went elsewhere for outdoor activities. The weather was 80 to 90 degrees and the outdoor pools were not open? We did not see anyone working on either of the pools during our stay.

The screened in porch was nice. Due to the time of year, there were a lot of mosquitoes and the screened porch was nice.

The location of the units are pretty spread out from the main clubhouse. I would not recommend walking from your unit to the clubhouse. There are no sidewalks along the road, and the combination of winding roads with trees and crazy local driving can be dangerous. Being in a semi-rural area, watch out for local wildlife. Many roadkill deer were seen. Also, a local raccoon figured out the trash bin locks and was foraging in it.

Access to the units by someone in a wheelchair or can't use stairs is a consideration for many of the units. Make sure of the location of your unit before you arrive.

Parking is OK. The place was full when we arrived and parking was tight. It thinned out after the first day, and we had no problems. The place can be hard to find, so a detailed map is required.

The resort has both golf, and miniature golf. I do not play golf, so I can't comment on it.

I probably would not stay here again. While the units themselves were OK, the location of the resort is not convenient for my interests. The town of Stroudsburg is within a couple of miles for shopping and dining. The staff was courteous, but the pool situation was unacceptable.

Take advantage of the cooking and laundry facilities. A car is a must. I did not see any local transportation. If you are looking for a reasonably quiet place to explore the Pocono Mountains, Shawnee River Village 2 is OK. If you want a place to use it as a place for an all inclusive type resort, I can't recommend it.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
14  Thank dess
Reviewed April 11, 2007

Our family loves Shawnee. The staff are courteous, the rooms well kept and well stocked.
The condos are a perfect size for a family of 5 or 6 and we don't end up walking over each other.
Amenities are great. We love both the indoor and outdoor pools. There's always something going on for the whole family to be involved in.
The down side is the intense smell of chlorine when you enter the facility to register. This could be due to the big indoor pool being in the same building.
Our condo had a 'backyard' complete with a place to BBQ and have all of my husbands family over. (which made a total of 14 for a picnic lunch/dinner)

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank 5Buttons
Reviewed July 11, 2006

We traded in our timeshare week to stay at River Village II, which is part of the Shawnee Village Time Share Resort. Unfortunately, the week we stayed followed terrible flooding of the Delaware River Water Gap. Many amenities were closed here, including one of the pools, the Shawnee Inn, the tennis courts, and the golf course. There was no television for the first five days, all due to the rains and flooding in the last week of June 2006. We also lost power one day for several hours. None of this was the fault, obviously, of the resort, but we were never called previous to our arrival (fortunately we called on our own). The website gave incorrect directions to the resort and inadequate recommendations on what to bring to the unit. There was absolutely no accomodation made to the negative situation and no graciousness on the part of the staff at the Recreation Center. Even the video cassette machine was out of order! We were finally able to get a clock radio by literally begging for one. Anytime we commented to one of the staff at the Rec Center about the situation we were told that the timeshares have been bought by Fairfield, that they are in transition and that nothing could be done. This staff needs training on how to be gracious to guests. Sitting in the Recreation Center accessing my email on my laptop, I overheard many other guests receiving the same ungracious treatment!!
The woodsy, rustic setting was nice. The units were adequate, although clearly showing their age of approximately 25 years. Towels were VERY worn out. There were very few nice touches that would make you feel welcome here. I hope that when Fairfield renovates this resort things change.We were told, however, that they did not buy these River Village Units and those would stay independently owned by the Timeshare organization).
If you do go, there are some good restaurants in the area, though. I highly recommend Anteleo in Delaware Gap, Robert John's StoneCreek Cafe and Sam Snead's in Shawnee.
Shawnee Playhouse is well worth a visit, too.

• Stayed: July 2006
20  Thank Ellen M
Reviewed July 9, 2006

We stayed in a nice 2 bedroom villa. The living room smelled like dirty feet. The rest of the villa was lovely excpet there are no clocks or hair dryers. The villa has a full kitchen to cook your meals in.

We were out fishing or hiking the entire week, so our 10 and 13 year olds were not the least bit bored as the previous posted said her family was. We were in the beautiful poconos for goodness sakes. Everywhere you drive there is a stream or a lake. And there must be at least 20 gorgeous waterfalls within 20 miles of the resort.

• Stayed: July 2006
9  Thank joym525
Reviewed June 26, 2006

Just returned from this stay. First thing that happened was our unit smelled like cigarette smoke. I had to go to Wal-Mart to buy air freshener and spray the entire unit. We had 2 condos together and were told that the pool was in the next village over. When we got to the pool it was closed. The people working at the front desk don't know anything. One lady directed us to the pool and then when we found it was closed, another worker just said that they couldn't get anybody to work at the pool so it was closed until they found someone.
If you have children, expect them to be bored unless you drive them out of the Condo Units. No playgrounds, no BBQ's (what else to people do in the summer??????), no nice grass area. Plenty to do at the Rec Center but you have to drive there for everything, including using their BBQ. I've never stayed at a timeshare condo that didn't have a BBQ that was located at a Mtn. Resort. I can understand it, if it's in the big city.
The 9 a.m. check out is ridiculous. We called to ask for an extention to our check out - they wer of no help at all even when I explained how dirty our condo was.

Would never go back!!!!!!

• Stayed: June 2006
11  Thank jillw504
Reviewed August 18, 2005

The Shawnee resort has many outdoor activities year round. They have six
swimming pools, Snow sports Mountain with snowboarding, skiing and tubing, canoe
and kayak on the delaware river, ice skating and many more. The villas are very
nicely furnice with large accomadation. The terrace is screened, to keep bugs
out when you sit out. I love it!

• Stayed: August 2005
Rodeway Inn
#5 of 6 in Milford
Hampton Inn Stroudsburg / Poconos
Wolf Hollow at The Water Gap Country Club
Wolf Hollow at The Water Gap Cou...
#1 of 3 in Delaware Water Gap

Been to Shawnee River Village 2? Share your experiences!