“Great for families”

Shawnee Mountain Ski Area
More attraction details
Owner description: Shawnee Mountain is your ticket to winter fun! The destination features 125 skiable acres, 23 trails, the Tomahawk Express high-speed quad lift, two terrain parks and a snow tubing park, 100% snowmaking, and daily grooming. A family-friendly resort, Shawnee Mountain offers excellent children's programs, unrivaled beginners' packages and some great terrain for the advanced skier and rider. Services and hospitality are a top priority, making Shawnee Mountain a favorite family and beginner-friendly ski resort. Visit the website for full details, snow report, discounts and more.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Bathroom facilities, Lockers / storage, Activities for young children, Activities for older children
Reviewed March 4, 2012

Shawnee mountain ski wee program is the best in the area. It has the best slopes to learn on, fantastic instructors and overall great family atomosphere.

1  Thank Mmsly
in 4 reviews
"moved quickly"
"first timers"
in 3 reviews
"great place for beginners"
"ski lift"
"bring your own"
in 76 reviews
in 36 reviews

Reviewed February 27, 2012

My 8 year old son, 15 year old stepdaughter, boyfriend and I went snow tubing to Shawnee Mountain on the last day of our winter vacation. The reason we went here was because it was on the way home and most convenient location on our rout. Being that snow tubing is our traditional family activity in the winter for the past 10 years we have been to enough other places prior to this one to be able to make a legitimate comparison and have an unbiased opinion. Compare with Jack Frost, Big Boulder, Fernwood, and couple of places in Buffalo area and Canada, Shawnee snow tubing hill is the worst by far! And not only it is completely flat and shallow making it fun only for the small 2-6 year old kids who may be scared of a real thrill of flying down the hill, but it also is the most disorganized snow tubing experience I’ve ever had. There is not enough space dedicated for the lines to build safely. All people line –up on the top of the hill all the way to the edge of a small paddock, blocking the passageways for those arriving with tubes and desiring to cross to the further lanes. While dragging our own tubes we had to literally fight our way through the crowd, bushes that are lining up the mountain top and patches of ice and mud. My older child slipped on the ice, twisted her ankle and fell into mud splashing her entire snowsuit with it. When my son and I went down the hill in the double tube, it was so slow that he said “Mom, this is boring”, and he loves snow tubing! So after this very unsafe and unsatisfactory experience I went down to the Customer Service office and requested a refund of my $100 so that we could go to another hill and enjoy ourselves for the money. I was refused a refund with an explanation that it was not in their policy. I forgot to ask them if overcrowded Icy and muddy waiting area on top of the hill was in their policy! I asked for the manager, and the director and they all refused to refund the money to my credit card and offered me the gift card instead for the amount in question. I explained to them that I will have no use for their gift card because neither I nor my family ski, we will never come back for their snow tubing and I do not need to buy anything in their overpriced gift shop and considering we went downhill only once and had an accident on top of their hill I would assume they would at least be just a bit more accommodating to our request to refund the money. Unless you have little kids who is scared of real snow tubing, do not waste your money!

8  Thank Yulia F
Reviewed February 26, 2012

We took our son for skiwee lessons at Shawnee and he loves them. The staff are friendly, knowledgeable, and def have a passion for teaching young ones how to ski. The " Honey bowl" is a separate area for the little ones to learn without the worry of being mowed down by other skiers, close to the lodge where you can come out and peek on them, and close to the the equipment rental.. No long walks to anywhere for them. The 3hr lessons are just right and my son has already gained a lot of basic skills and a love for the sport. The bunny hill is just to the right of the honey bowl so they can practice what they have learned after the lessons. They do have snack time and all the snacks are peanut and tree nut safe (great to know for those with kids who have these allergies). The Ski area is very family friendly and well maintained. Parking is free and not a far walk from the base. I would say this is the best ski area around for those with wee ones.

1  Thank Pietrosmom
Reviewed February 25, 2012

Went to this skiing area on Wed, Feb 22, 2012. My sister picked it because she thinks it's great for beginners. Since it's her daughters first time skiing.
Anyway there were four of us. 2 adults and 2 kids. The staff were very friendly, instructors were nice...but the layout of the slopes I didn't like. The lifts for the green slopes were all the way at the other end of the resort. I had to carry 3 sets of skis because the 2 kids couldn't make it to the other end (with skis on ) where the lifts for the green were. Anyway after we skied down the slope which goes diagonally to the other end. When we reached the bottom, my niece wanted to go again. So guess what, I had to carry her skis to the other side just to get on the lifts to the green again. After we came down again, I was too tired to walk to the other side.
Next time I think we'll go to Camelback or JFBB. I want to ski not walk.