“Nice Family Get-Away”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Shawnee on Delaware
Ridge Top Village at Shawnee
Stamford, Connecticut
“Nice Family Get-Away”
Reviewed February 26, 2012

After reading some of these reviews, we were skeptical. But we ended up in a lovely unit that was clean, roomy and had a great layout. The staff was very friendly and accommodating (a special shout out to A.M.!).

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank GRB_12

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
New York
Reviewed February 24, 2012

I'm going to say up front that we are Wyndham owners, we travel a lot and super duper luxury is not always a priority with us. We arrived early (@11AM) and knew the unit would not be ready, but we did register. Came back to get keys @5PM, it was crowded, but it moved fast. We got a nice unit: I booked (late) on the vacation owners site, so a small unit was not available. It was a two bedroom, duplex style. You could have 6-8 people there: master bedroom, 2 full sized beds in second bedroom and pull-out couch downstairs.

The staff was nice at the desk and the concierge, other staff greeted us nicely when we used the amenities. I only mentioned to the check-in person that we were owners, she would not have known otherwise. Other staff did not know.

The resort is probably old. The decor is from the early 80's, except the microwave. The furniture was neat, clean and in decent repair. However, I did have an issue with the stove and refrigerator being so old. They were very clean, except for the very bottom of the outside of the fridge: it was rusty. I asked the front desk at check-out if the unit was due to be upgraded, she wasn't sure but said that some units had been lately.

I usually don't care about the kitchen but this resort has no real restaurant (a snack bar) and this area of the Poconos is not a culinary experience so we had planned on the fact that we would cook more than usual on this vacation. We got lazy, though and had microwave dinners. The stove is electric and the burners were not seated correctly, again, I think is is because it is very old and has been used a lot. There is a supermarket in the area.

The bathrooms were very clean, but the huge jacuzzi tub was obviously installed at some point in the early 80's as a renovation and did not look like it was part of the decor. That was ok, though. I did not use the jacuzzi feature, just the shower.

The only real negative aspect for some is the distance from the main center to the units. This depends on your point of view, however. You have to drive to the main center: the pool, work-out room (no weights, but treadmills, elliptical and exercycle), game room, nice sized indoor pool, sauna, jacuzzi and gym (basketball court) are all there. The miniature golf is seasonal.

In bad weather, this is where you may want to be and it is far. In the summer, I imagine it is a nice walk (although going back would be uphill), but if there had been snow, it could have been treacherous. Just our luck, though, this was the warmest winter on record. However, this resort not for the physically challenged at all. I would not recommend this resort for folks with mobility issues.

There is a small screened in porch. I think this resort would be fantastic for the athletic type in summer. If you want luxury, this is not for you. You are in the woods, it is peaceful and rustic. If you want to do absolutely nothing but hang out and relax, this is perfect.

Room Tip: These units are all up far from the main center, you still have to drive down to enjoy the recreatio...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank mcprises
New York City, New York
Reviewed February 7, 2012

Just a Low Old Budget place. The service is terrible and they have no presence and standards, even though Wyndham seems to be at your service provider, the quailty is so very Poor. The Units are OUT DATED, DIRTY, and WORN OUT. We emailed 2 months early and followed up 3 more times up until we arrived with not responses to ensure we would had a non smoking updated unit. Arriving early in hope to check in early to make sure we would get a good unit made no difference, the unit was run down and smoke filled. We had to change units and it was ok, fine for a visit but have no apeal or standards of quality.

The only saving grace is that is is close to the ski mountain, outlets, and casino. Poconos is run down and abandoned, due the the fail in economy everything is just closed for business and under developed.

Having the Wyndham people try to sell us a timeshare the units are wonderful at the very top on the resort, but everythig else from the Welcome center where they do the sales and the help are so poor quality it would be worth it. I think even Mount Airy Lodge would be better than this place. We are lucky we had good company and wine to keep us happy.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank NycPhoto5
Queens
Reviewed January 27, 2012

There were 8 of us spending or New Year's holidays at Ridge Top. When we arrived on Thursday December 29th at around 3:30 pm thankfully there was no line at check in. Lady who checked us in did not seem friendly at all. She just did her job in issuing our keys and explained major directions to the unit. She forgot to issue to us bracelets that were necessary to be worn in recreational facility. When we arrived to our 2 bedroom deluxe unit everything seemed o'k except for few minor things. 1st of all we did not receive any starter kits and ended up calling front desk 3 times before somebody delivered sets of soap, shampoos and dish washing liquid to the unit. When housekeeping person came in she was kind of resisting providing us with dish washing scrub like it belonged to her. We never experienced anything like this before since we are Gold VIP Wyndham members and I thought that's why in part we pay our maintenance fees.
Recreational center had 2 outside mini-golf courses for which apparently as I discovered the hard way we had to pay $5.00 / person. I think that was outrageous! Isn't it again part of maintenance fees? Pool inside the rec center was nothing special and not very deep for adults to enjoy. There was actually kid's pool for children to swim as well. So being that kiddy's pool was there as well why not make pool for adult deeper?
There was carnival night for children on December 31st. We went to check it out. There were some snacks served. There were some New Year's hats , goggles and whistles given out and there were some kids activities e.g Wii competitions, crafty works, painting, but overall there was no leadership in any activities. Everyone was doing whatever they wanted to do, and it did not feel like a holiday at all.
About the unit it was outdated in some areas. Kitchen , appliances and all utensils were really outdated and in need of replacement. When my father was using whirlpool upstairs kitchen ceiling started to leak. I was hoping it would not cause eclectic short, since it started smelling like wires were burning,
We did have an update in property and rep who did an update explained to us that Ridge top units are not Wyndham units and there are better units owned by Wyndham but just not available at a time. Eventually I think units will be updated but it will take some time. Overall it was an o'k stay.

Room Tip: Don't' stay at Ridge Top until they get renovated.
1 Thank Angy0928
Peabody, Massachusetts
Reviewed January 10, 2012

My family checked in on Christmas day. The unit we were given is in serious need of updating. The TP holder fell off on 1st use. Window in room was broken. Washing machine leaked. Dining room chair was broken. We were there for 6 nights and had 4 maintenance visits.

The TV is a 19 inch. seriously???? Wyndham in this day and age. I have exchanged my timeshare to many different resorts in the past 13 years and this was worst unit we have ever stayed in. Wyndham needs to put some money into updating these units or maybe disassociate their name from them...I expected a lot better from them...Thought they might be comparable with Marriott which has beautiful resorts everywhere.

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed January 9, 2012

I would have expected more from a Wyndham resort as we were guests of a presidential club member. Upon arrival, we were told we were in one unit but when we tried to access it, the keys we were given didn't work because it was already occupied by someone else. We drove back down to the check-in building and were given another unit number and told that our existing keys would work. Again, we tried our keys and they did not work so we called down to check-in and Security came up to open the unit.

Accomodations are very dated, worn and lacked maintenance. The master BR was missing a lightbulb in one of the lamps, the pillows were missing pillow cases, we had to request additional toilet paper since all we had was what was in the dispenser. We reported this in person to someone at the check-in building but after 6 hours had gone by with no response, we called. Maintenance was called twice to unplug the kitchen sink (no garbage disposal) and retrieve a DR chair that broke when sat in. The smell of mildew was very apparent in one of the LR corners. The couch and love seat cushions were so worn that we were lopsided sitting on them. Mattresses were very uncomfortable. Discarded trash along the walkways were never picked up by resort staff the whole week we were there. The resort appeared to have been built and forgotten about.

The only positive is that it was quiet. Several tailless domestic cats tried to enter our unit if the door was open too long and climbed the trees outside of our unit. They were harmless, clean and friendly.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank CarolM60
NEW YORK
Reviewed January 4, 2012

I wanted to shared my experience with everyone. We checked in as a family vacaton for the week. Check in time is 4 pm and we arrived at 3 pm. We were informed that it be a few hours before our rooms is ready. This is due to the fact it is a holiday week. Does that make sense to anyone? I told the front desk I understand that if the room is not till 4 pm I understand since that is the check in time. Later than that is not acceptable as you know how many guests you have coming this week and prior arrangements should have been made for housekeeping. They were able to make arrangements for us to get a room in a timely manner.

When we got to the room it was so old and outdated. The kitchen was such a sad case that the pots and pans were warp. The stove the burners were broken that the actual burner can move. If you use the dishwasher the bottom rack can practical fall out. When you start the dishwasher the machine moves. The fridge was old, the rack was falling apart and the draws were all out of aliments.

The windows did not close because they were broken. Maintence had to come a few times to help us close it. The carpent was stained and dirty. I can go on and on...

I was mainly dissappointed because it is part of the Wydham property. They should have better control in their properties of what they rent out to people. I have stayed at Sheratons and Marriotts timeshare which is 110% better than this place.

I hope they fix it soon!

3 Thank ANGAB
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shawnee on Delaware
Staybridge Suites East Stroudsburg - Poconos
Staybridge Suites East Stroudsbu...
#4 of 8 in East Stroudsburg
Hampton Inn & Suites Bartonsville
Bushkill Inn & Conference Center
Wolf Hollow at The Water Gap Country Club
Wolf Hollow at The Water Gap Cou...
#1 of 3 in Delaware Water Gap
Budget Inn & Suites
Budget Inn & Suites
#2 of 8 in East Stroudsburg
Wyndham Shawnee Village Resort
Wyndham Shawnee Village Resort
#4 of 8 in East Stroudsburg

Been to Ridge Top Village at Shawnee? Share your experiences!