“Roadside America: A trip to Yesteryear”
Review of Roadside America

Roadside America
Reviewed May 23, 2013

I don't give many places five stars, but this is one of the few that deserve it. Conveniently located at Exit 23 (Shartlesville) of I-78 in Pennsylvania, if you are into modeling, whether it's railroads, covered bridges, cars, or whatever, you'll have a ball here. The first time you see this you won't believe your eyes. The mirror at the far end of the exhibit makes it look bigger than it is, but it is impressive nonetheless. As you tour Roadside America you see all aspects of the development of America as we know it today. There are houses being built, small towns emerging, bridges and tunnels, villages, and even an airport. There are push buttons throughout you can use to see some of the mechanical exhibits in action.

The real treat is the Night Pageant, where for four minutes you see a simulated sunset, night setting, and sunrise. When they urge you not to leave until you see that, they mean it

They do allow flash cameras, but no tripods. The one fly in the ointment is depending on the quality of your camera, getting close-up shots may be difficult due to the lighting. Also, once you leave the exhibit you cannot go back inside, unless you have to use the rest rooms.

This is the lifetime work of one man, Laurence T. Gehringer and his wife. You can read the whole story in the brochure you get when you begin your tour.

There is a gift shop on the premises, and next door there is a separate gift shop and coffee stand. Less than a half-mile away is Blue Mountain Family Restaurant, where I dined during my visit. I will review that separately.

Reviewed May 12, 2013

Sometimes it's ok to take a breath and enjoy the atmosphere. Be prepared to be amazed at the intricate detail of a "state of the art attraction" from 1963. You have all the 3D you need, just look with your own eyes. Follow along with the pamphlet and read the comments as you marvel at each detailed presentation. It is a wonderland, for model builders (Henry Ford), train enthusiasts, children and any one that remembers when you had to change the television stations by hand. This place is not to be missed, it was done when America was at it's prime and Facebook was not a word. Be prepared to be amazed, it was a surprise that you will talk about for a long time.

Reviewed April 23, 2013

Pros: very nice attraction, a piece of work, affordable, can spend there 1-2.5 hrs with your family. Cons: none

Reviewed April 5, 2013

My parents took me here as a child, and I have taken my own children here (ages 10 & 12). I wasn't sure if they would like it, but they LOVED IT!! The place has definitely stood still in time, but a fun visit right off the interstate.

Reviewed March 31, 2013

Been coming here since 1968! First with my Parents, sister and brothers and now with my own family. The thrill is STILL there and I try to visit at least twice a year. I always see something different every time. You MUST SEE the "Night Pageant" twice! First time sit at the back of the display to see it at eye level. The second time, view it from the top looking down on the left side of the layout. I always get goose bumps watching the "Night Pageant"! I hope this place last FOREVER!!! YOU WON'T BE DISAPPOINTED!!!