“Shartlesville, PA's Second Most-Famous Attraction”

Blue Mountain Family Restaurant
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed May 23, 2013

This too is conveniently located at Exit 23 of I-78 in Pennsylvania. With lack of a real restaurant at the main attraction (Roadside America), this serves as a nearby meal stop that is worth the drive or walk. When you see a number of older folks dining there, that tells you the food is good for the money. and it is there. I had a California hamburger; it was cooked the way they did it back in the good old days, and very tasty too. The service was friendly and as fast as you can get in this type of establishment. While they do accept major credit cards, my meal was so cheap I paid cash.

While many people wouldn't consider Berks County to be Pennsylvania Dutch country, that part of it is. On the placemats are various sayings that come from Amish folk, like "Becky, fill the pitcher, the milk is all," and "Throw the cow over the fence some hay."

I don't get to the Shartlesville-Hamburg PA area very often, but when I do, I'll try to plan a meal stop at Blue Mountain Family Restaurant. It's worth it.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

Stopped here on the way to Cabelas while we were on a camping trip. The restaurant was not busy at all. We were seated quickly and the food was brought out quickly. Overall, it was a good experience. We would definitely return!

Reviewed December 20, 2012

Excellent food, large portions, very attentive service - this characterizes the Blue Mountain Family Restaurant. We stopped here at an off hour on a Sunday afternoon, and everything was excellent. This was especially notable since as we arrived, two bus loads of tourists and a large local family were just leaving. The restaurant can clearly handle the large groups, but then shifted easily into the small quiet groups. I feared that we would suffer from slow service in the aftermath of the large groups - but NO, the staff and the kitchen shifted gears and did a fine job for us and the other 2-4 person tables. There are several other diners along the I-78 route in Eastern PA, but this one, at EXIT 23, is definitely the best. Enjoy, and travel safe (
Note, the food is in the PA Dutch style)

1  Thank Anbrugo
Reviewed December 12, 2012

service was ok. It wasn't to busy but it took the waitress a while to get back to us. She was very nice though. The food was really good.

Reviewed September 30, 2012

Stopped here by chance on the way back to NY and enjoyed an excellent breakfast. Good service, very reasonable prices, and one of the best omelets I've had in a long time. I would definitely stop again if I find myself in the area.