“EEEEWWWWW!” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Shartlesville
Wayne
“EEEEWWWWW!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2010

A 1950's roadside motel that was still very charming when the original local owners had it up to the late 90's even though the new I-78 came through and the decor got a bit threadbare. Still shows the remains of the Pennsylvania Dutch decorations, but the new owners ain't no PA Dutch. Now its just eeeewwwwww! Still for 40 or 50 bucks if all you are looking for is sleep, and if you have a sense of humor its OK. Good flow of hot water in the shower. Don't bring kids. Don't bring the wife. Take the free bottled water so you don't have to drink whatever comes out of those old pipes.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
3 Thank DivePatron

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Charlottesville va
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2010

this place was out dated. Nasty black scum on the bathroom floor. About 20 feet off the interstate so it was noisy. walls are paper thin. I cant even tell you all the stuff that is wrong with this place. and to top that they left an envelope with hand writing on it for a TIP for the maids. The young man at the counter at night time was nice. But the next day when we tried to get our deposit back for the remote controll. yes you have to pay for the TV remote. The old name was arguing with us that the room was too dirty and he was not giving out deposit back. I could hardly understand anything he said, because of his accent. My daughter left her blanket in the room by accident and they REFUSED to send it to us. saying the room was too dirty and stinks. I said honey if it stinks that is how it was when we went in. I have made at least 19 phone calls about the blanket. They HUNG UP on me that is why it was so many calls because the accent is so deep. They must have been cussing me and hanging up on me. I will be contacting the Better Business Buero. Go the extra 20 minutes up the road and stay at the Holiday Inn.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank Blanketbaby

Travelers are raving about these Shartlesville hotels

Louisiana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2010

It was around 1 am when we arrived. The lady was so nice upon arrival, she gave us each a cold bottled water! The hotel is old and needs to be modernized. Cleanliness could be improved. The beds were comfortable. Being very tired it was an okay place to stay.

• Stayed August 2010
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Rural PA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2009

After reading the mixed reviews for this hotel I decided to go for it and reserve 2 nights for my family for my husbands birthday/Father's Day. I figured I could live with outdated as long as it was clean. I think they must have two very different calibers of rooms, because our room did not have a clean spot in it. We would have left after checking in, but it was late at night, our 1 year old was tired and we didn't know where else to go. I have never written a review before, but felt compelled because of the unbelievable dirty room we had to pay to sleep in. Luckily, the weather was horribly rainy the next morning and our plans were ruined so we ended up checking out. When I informed the office lady she asked if the room was clean and said she could move us to a very nice room. This did not make me feel any better, as I would hope you would put paying customers in the nicest room possible rather than having them experience the twilight zone like evening we did. The bathroom was filthy and the toilet was completely unstable, the refrigerator in the room was sticky and filthy. When she showed us our room, she turned the TV on for us, but we discovered later that was only because the remote control didn't work. The carpets were very dirty...I am not a dirt/germ nut, but I wouldn't even let my daughter crawl around on the floor and we did not take our shoes off. I was so hoping for a reasonable, quaint and local hotel with some character, but the conditions we found were very different than expected. My suggestion would to not be hopeful and think you will get the positive experience that some reviewers got. Why waste the money when you don't have to take the risk.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2009

We chose this place to start a weekend road trip. I always try to stay at older local places, and I found their website and decided to give it a shot.

This is a small '50s motel, and it shows its age. The owners were very nice, and gave us each a chilled bottle of water while I checked us in. As a bonus, they still have some of the original advertising postcards up at the desk. The rooms are smallish, and the decor is a bit threadbare and hopelessly outdated, but it seemed clean. I did spot a mouse trap under the radiator, but I'd rather know someone is being proactive. An older building backing up on a farm field is going to get the occasional mouse.

The property is in a rural area, and we had a quiet night. The bathrooms are a little small, but clean. (If you're on the toilet, the door will hit you in the knee if someone opens it.) We paid $65 for two, which is a bit on the high side of what I usually spend.

• Liked — Nice folks at check-in
  • Disliked — A little pricey for an older place
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Check in / front desk
1 Thank roadtripperMaryland
North Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2008

I was up in Mass, called and Made reservations telling them I had a dog and would be coming thru Oct 14, 2008 When I got there the room they put us in was dirty, very dirty. Mouse trap on the floor, carpet heavly stained, room smelt like Urine! Cobb webs in the light fixture. Telephone was dirty. Dirt stains on the bathroom door. I don't believe this room was ever cleaned.When I told them I could not stay there, the room is Dirty., they offered me anther room. I said no. I can't imagine another one would be any better...The grounds were not kept up, garbage on the side. They would not REFUND my Money! I picked this motel because it had good reviews. This motel is nothing like the pictures. This is a true review.

Stayed October 2008
Central Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2008

We are retired and on a budget so we shopped around before booking our reservation. We were pleased with everything the motel had to offer.
We found the owners to be sweet and accomodating; offering us a cold bottle of water when we arrived.
The room was all we could want...exceptionally clean, with all amenities we needed; a nice hot shower and a very comfortable bed.
We would definitely stay here again!

Stayed October 2008
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shartlesville
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Hamburg
Comfort Inn Midway
Comfort Inn Midway
#1 of 1 in Bethel
Appalachian RV Campground
Appalachian RV Campground
#1 of 2 in Shartlesville

Been to Dutch Motel Shartlesville? Share your experiences!