Dutch Motel Shartlesville
Seasons Inn & Suites(Shartlesville)
$75
$98
$157
$90
EconoLodge
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed January 27, 2009

We chose this place to start a weekend road trip. I always try to stay at older local places, and I found their website and decided to give it a shot.

This is a small '50s motel, and it shows its age. The owners were very nice, and gave us each a chilled bottle of water while I checked us in. As a bonus, they still have some of the original advertising postcards up at the desk. The rooms are smallish, and the decor is a bit threadbare and hopelessly outdated, but it seemed clean. I did spot a mouse trap under the radiator, but I'd rather know someone is being proactive. An older building backing up on a farm field is going to get the occasional mouse.

The property is in a rural area, and we had a quiet night. The bathrooms are a little small, but clean. (If you're on the toilet, the door will hit you in the knee if someone opens it.) We paid $65 for two, which is a bit on the high side of what I usually spend.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank roadtripperMaryland
Reviewed October 16, 2008

I was up in Mass, called and Made reservations telling them I had a dog and would be coming thru Oct 14, 2008 When I got there the room they put us in was dirty, very dirty. Mouse trap on the floor, carpet heavly stained, room smelt like Urine! Cobb webs in the light fixture. Telephone was dirty. Dirt stains on the bathroom door. I don't believe this room was ever cleaned.When I told them I could not stay there, the room is Dirty., they offered me anther room. I said no. I can't imagine another one would be any better...The grounds were not kept up, garbage on the side. They would not REFUND my Money! I picked this motel because it had good reviews. This motel is nothing like the pictures. This is a true review.

Stayed: October 2008
Reviewed October 15, 2008

We are retired and on a budget so we shopped around before booking our reservation. We were pleased with everything the motel had to offer.
We found the owners to be sweet and accomodating; offering us a cold bottle of water when we arrived.
The room was all we could want...exceptionally clean, with all amenities we needed; a nice hot shower and a very comfortable bed.
We would definitely stay here again!

Stayed: October 2008
Reviewed September 28, 2008

We arrived at the Dutch Hotel late at night during a road trip from Tennessee to New Hampshire. All we wanted was a clean, safe place to sleep before we hit the road again. Two criteria, clean and safe, and the Dutch Motel failed miserably on both accounts.

We really wanted this place to be cute and quaint. After talking with the very nice desk clerk, our hopes were high for our room. You could barely tell the highway was right across the small field across from the parking lot, that was great.
However, once we entered the room we were supposed to stay in, everything changed. The furniture and "coffee maker" were caked with dust as if no one had stayed in the room for MONTHS. There were huuuuuge burn holes in the carpeting. Small holes can be expected in a smoking room, accidents do happen, but take it from a two pack a day smoker, these WERE NOT cigarette burns. Not like any I've ever seen.
The bathroom was tiny, cold, and uncomfortable.
There were two mousetraps under the heating vent, and every noise I heard after that sounded like a little animal being crushed to death.
The lamp was splattered with odd stains, and all the linens were musty. It was like staying in a crime scene.
We tried to sleep, on top of the comforter with our shoes on, but when the minifridge compressor kicked on and we both jumped up prepared to fend off an imaginary assailant at our rickety window, we booked it out of there.
I would NOT reccomend staying at this hotel unless your planning on filming a bad horror film.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank DKM687
Reviewed August 8, 2008

First off, this town seems to have two spellings, Shartlesville and Chartlesville so things can get confusing. That's the bad news. The good news is this place is great.

My wife and I generally look for low priced motels so we don't have high expectations... and arriving at the Dutch Motel, it looked as if those expecations weren't going to be challenged.

The road for it is just off the exit, but the road is in poor shape and arriving, we saw an old Amish buggy with its wheels falling off in the front yard.

However, at that point, everything changed. The operators are great. I've never been offered a chapatti when I registered before. There was a real feeling we were welcome.

The room was clean and didn't have the institutional smell so common in motels. AND THE BATHROOM WAS MAGNIFICENT. Clean, new and with a tup that I could really fit in. The beds were comfortable and the air conditioning adequate.

We have family in Reading and plan to stay at the Dutch Motel every time we visit.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple