“Met all my expectations!”

Buhl Mansion Guesthouse and Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Sharon B&B and Inns
“Met all my expectations!”
Reviewed January 1, 2011

We are local people and wanted a special way to celebrate a milestone anniversary year without going away from home. I have been fascinated by this house ever since I was a little girl. Our overnight stay here met all of my expectations.

The staff is exceptionally friendly and gracious. We were met at the door, our luggage taken to our room and our car parked while we went to the former music room to check in. There we were offered champagne or hot apple cider. After checking in, we were given a brief tour of the house and learned we were welcome to look into any of the rooms as long as no guests were staying in them.

We stayed in Mr Buhl's Den (not too frilly for us!) and a nice tray of fruit, cheese and champagne along with a rose and welcoming note from the staff was waiting for us. We enjoyed the afternoon tea downstairs and spent lots of time looking at all of the downstairs rooms as well as the guest rooms on the 2nd and 3rd floors.

Though we didn't go to their sister property, Tara, for supper (guests at the mansion receive a 25% discount), we would recommend it, having eaten there for events before. We went to a local restaurant and while we were out, our turn down service was completed. Nice robes and slippers laid out, linens replenished and a tray of chocolates, bottled water and a rose along with another nice note and the menu for breakfast choices awaited us when we returned.

The sauna, steam room and monsoon shower in the spa area are available to all guests whether or not you purchase a spa service. Even though we arrived back after the area had been closed, they opened the steam room for my husband as they earlier said they would and he enjoyed it and the monsoon shower very much.

We chose to have breakfast in the sunroom/breakfast room in the back of the house looking out over the greenhouse, lawn and fountain area. A full breakfast is offered. My scrambled eggs with cream cheese and chives and my husband's omelet were delicious. He also had a fruit and yogurt parfait and all breakfasts are accompanied by assorted pastries -- again, delicious.

As it's been a really cold winter here, we appreciated the warmth and coziness of the gas fireplace. The bathroom had a nice sized jacuzzi. I have no criticisms; my husband said they might update to flat screen TVs. When it was time to leave, our car was brought round and luggage stowed for us. All in all, I am more than satisfied with our experience and we have been telling all of our family and friends how wonderful our stay was.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cee2

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
West Winfield, NY
Reviewed May 4, 2010

Where do you start ? From the time we arrived it was first class all the way. We were greeted by a wonderful staff. Our car was parked for us and our luggage delivered to the Grand Gables room. This is the largest room in the castle and we sure reccommend it. The soft music, champaign, cheese and goodies were perfect. Afternoon Tea and then dinner at their companion property exceed all expectations. Eggs benedict for breakfast were wonderful. It's rare in a propoerty of this nature to have the owners, manager and staff all make you feel as though you were right at home. Jim and Donna Winner along with Laura Ackerly and her staff are to be congratulated. This is the ultimate in luxury and relaxation.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mary68gary
PA
Reviewed January 25, 2010

I was in need of some serious R&R. This would be a great place for a romantic getaway or a girl’s weekend. I found it to be a perfect destination for a girl that just needs to escape life for a moment, ALONE. All the staff was so accommodating, and made me feel like a princess. From the time I made my reservation to the time I checked out, they took care of everything. They greeted me at the entrance, took my bag immediately to my room and parked my car. As I was checking in they offered me a glass of champagne or hot apple cider (Of course I opted for the champagne!). Marci (the assistant manager) took me on a tour of the mansion, and showed me to my room.
I stayed in Park Place, a cozy & charming little room off by itself. They had a delectable little tray of snacks and a bottle of champagne waiting for me on the desk. The bed was so plush, that it just swallows you up when you lay down. The best part was the Jacuzzi tub in the bathroom. My only complaint was the noise. I could hear people talking and moving around outside my room. Obviously the place is not very well insulated. I could easily ignore it though, a mother’s gift of drowning out annoying noises.
Of course I went to the spa as part of my stay. My package included a spa lunch which I enjoyed in the sun room right beside the fireplace. After lunch I went down to the spa where I had a Neck/Back/Shoulder Massage, an Essentials Facial, and Spa Mani/Pedi. All of which I enjoyed immensely. After my Mani Pedi I spent some time in the sauna to dry my nails, and then I got cleaned up in the monsoon showers inside the ladies locker room. I left the spa feeling relaxed and refreshed, which I guess is the idea!
I stayed in my room the rest of the night, and immediately jumped into the Jacuzzi with a good book and a glass of champagne. Um, does life get any better than that??? At my request, the front desk sent me up some menus so that I could order in some chow. They dealt with the delivery person, and brought the food right up to my room. Since I did not leave, I didn't take advantage of the turn down service, but they left a tray of goodies outside my door.
The next morning I had my breakfast brought to my room, which was abundant and delicious. I had the Eggs Benedict w/ home fries and a fruit & yogurt parfait. Served with that was some coffee cake, coffee and orange juice.
Before I left I took a stroll around the mansion to sneak a peek at the other rooms, this is allowed as long as the rooms are not occupied. When I was ready to check out I called the front desk, they came right up to carry down my bag and brought my car around for me. Yes, its a little pricey but to me it was worth every penny! I would most definitely recommend a stay at the Buhl mansion!!!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank mlett82
Texas
Reviewed March 18, 2009

My boyfriend and I needed some time away from our kids and jobs. We planned to go see family near Pittsburgh. In doing an internet search for some things to do around the area, I landed on the website for the Buhl Mansion. I didn't have a clue at the time what a blessing this was. We scheduled one night in the Grand Gables room with a 4 hour spa package and dinner at Tara. When we arrived, we were greeted by an amazing staff that didn't allow us to lift a finger the entire stay. On arrival, we were provided with champagne and a brief tour of this amazing, historical facility. We had lunch there as part of the spa package which was very good! The room was incredible! It was clean, comfortable with beautiful furnishings, a super comfy bed and a huge jacuzzi tub. We were welcomed to our room with a try of fruit, snacks and champagne. The spa was very clean and the staff was professional and friendly. Comfortable transportation was provided from Buhl Mansion over to Tara for dinner. I definitely recommend Tara for a meal while you are here. The food was great, the service was very friendly and the portions were huge. With a stay at the Buhl Mansion, you are provided with a 25% off voucher for dinner at Tara which made the price very reasonable. Turn down service was provided, so when we arrived back to the room after dinner, we were welcomed by another tray with chocolates and other little treats. The next morning you can have breakfast in the dining room or breakfast in bed. We opted for breakfast in bed. Again, the food was excellent, the service impeccable and the presentation was beautiful. I feel like my words are inadequate in describing how wonderful our stay was. It truly was a blessing to have had this experience!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank care4kidsrn
Wilkes Barre
Reviewed January 30, 2009

This is a huge mansion in remote Sharon PA. I was on the way across PA with my wife on business when we decided to take a few day break at this spa bandb. The rooms are luxurious and massive...plus, the traffic is very light at this establishment, so it is perfect for alone time. We stayed in a massive upstairs bedroom that had everything you could want, including giant whirlpool, california king, post and beam ceilings, climate control...you name it! The breakfasts are in room, which is a nice plus for a romantic getaway. No dinner, though, so beware...you may be having dominos as Sharon goes dark at 5 PM. I would also steer clear of the 'stores' under the Winner umbrella...stay at the inn instead, it is much more fun!!!! One complaint would be to update the early 90s TVs...it is time for flat screens if the chains are doing it! We took in the spa services, which are in house in the converted basement. They were nice, if somewhat amateurishly presented. The massages were nice and the mani pedi services were well done. You do, however, get the small town feel here. In all, it is a great place to see...the owner also owns the Radisson and the Tara in nearby Clark, which all have very 'personal' touches from a local boy done good. Get the story from the night watchman...it was my favorite part of the trip!!!

• Liked — Great room and historical building
  • Disliked — Antiquated TVs
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank strtofdrms
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed November 18, 2008

The mansion is very interesting and the restoration is, by most accounts, well done. The staff doesn't know the history of the house/original owners as well as we'd hoped, but they were courteous and helpful.

A few notables - the "monsoon showers" are very small and rusted. Interestingly, another reviewer wrote about their slipper being torn - not sure if they never threw those away or if mine were a different pair also torn, but this is disappointing given the cost. The mansion sits right on the road and it was rather noisy at night....this was a surprise to me because from the pictures it looks as though the house may sit back further.

The food: The tea, sandwiches and cookies were delicious as was the morning breakfast. The champaign was ok, but the fruit and cheese provided consisted of a whole apple and a whole orange, a few grapes and two small pieces of generic swiss cheese (like you would receive on an airplane).

We had reservations for dinner at the Tara Country Inn, gratefully we cancelled and went later to simply see the Inn - the Tavern is literally in the basement of the house and has a civil war/underground kind of feel.

Overall - the quality does not match the cost.

• Liked — The rooms
  • Disliked — The cost
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank JAMM4
Columbus,OH
Reviewed October 29, 2008

Buhl Mansion Romantic getaway
Oct 2008
Keep Looking if You Want This Type of Package
Stayed to celebrate wife's 50th Birthday. Service is excellent. Food at the Stonewall Reataurant, sister facility, is above average. However, the room that we stayed in, The Guest Room, was extremely noisey! Turn down service is essentially a bottle of water and two chocolates. DO NOT ask to have gas fireplace started in room unless you have it "scheduled?" whatever that means. If you want your clothes pressed, as it says they will, you get an iron and board to do it yourself. Especially enjoyed taking bag down steps and loading car up by self. They unload, but do not load evedently.
Everything is designed to tell you that you are special, but do not ask to use the services they say they provide. You will not get them.
As to the noise in this room, you hear the Jacuzzi and the furniture scrapping on the floor form the room ablove. There also was some high pitched electrial noise intermittantly in the room.
Our window view was of the garage and pavillion tent.
Do not expect to sleep in this room.
Rough sheets and uncomfortable bed. Coffee stain on comforter.Wonder if they bother to change it between guests?

• Liked — spa
  • Disliked — room
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sharon
Park Inn by Radisson Sharon, PA
Holiday Inn Express Grove City-Prime Outlet Mall
Quality Inn Hermitage
Quality Inn Hermitage
#3 of 4 in Hermitage

Been to Buhl Mansion Guesthouse and Spa? Share your experiences!