“Dated look, dated bar and odors to match”
Review of Carmody's - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Carmody's
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Pennsylvania
“Dated look, dated bar and odors to match”
Reviewed August 12, 2011

For many years I've driven by the Carmody's restaurant & lounge, but in all that time I was never drawn to the place because it looked exceptionally dated and tired. However, on this particularly sunny afternoon, I threw caution into the wind and decided to stop in for a drink with two other friends. Carmody's has two entrances - one for the restaurant and the other for the lounge. We took advantage of the convenient lounge entrance only to be greeted with an unpleasant bear in the woods like smell (and I'm putting it mildly). Undoubtledly the smell is due to the age of the carpet but may also have to do with the proximity of the men's bathroom (which in full disclosure was very tidy). Undaunted, we sat at the bar and ordered our drinks. The wine selection by the glass is very weak - the glass served tasted only slighlty better than vinegar and was immediately returned. This is unfortunate because their wine list for the restaurant side carried at least a few nice bottles - in particular Silver Oak. So we settled for scotch on the rocks, vodka with club soda, and bourbon with coke. We each had two drinks for sum total of $40 for six drinks - I thought very reasonably priced. The vodka was Grey Goose so it was fine. The bourbon was Jim Beam, but my friend complained that his drink was on the weak side. The scotch was GlenLivet and presumably the ice was local - so that drink was fine. If you enjoy a variety of single malt scotches - keep on driving as Carmody's only carried GlenLivet. For our vodka and scotch drinks, we thought the bartender served generously. Even with this generosity - it's not likely that I'll (we'll) ever willingly return. My experience aside, Carmody's appears to do a bang up job on the weekends as their parking lot always looks full.

• Visited August 2011
2 Thank hamlet_63017

Pittsburgh, PA
“Average Older Restaurant”
Reviewed September 28, 2010

A local restaurant just west of the I-79/PA 910 exit, this restaurant offers average food at decent prices. The restaurant is clean and well kept, although the decor has not been updated in years. It is a decent restaurant for a hot meal, sandwich or dinner when travelling. The food is good and basic with no frills. The menu has a fair variety of options to choose from. The wait staff is friendly and does a good job with service.

2 Thank RC-11B