“Very creative menu”
Review of Vivo

Vivo
Reserve with OpenTable
Vivo is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #7 of 44 Restaurants in Sewickley
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Broad Street
Reviewed September 22, 2013

I've eaten at Vivo several times since it opened and been quite pleased with the food and the service. The menu is interesting and it is difficult for me to fully categorize it other than to say, perhaps, fusion. There are usually 8-10 appetizers and an equal number of entrees. Something I always order is their pasta with what they call 'simple red sauce' which is always one of the lesser-known bite sized pastas (homemade) with an intensely-flavored puréed tomato sauce. They will make it up as an entree-sized portion on request, and with a glass of one of their many nice red wines and some bread one can have a very wonderful meal. In my experience the staff are pleasant, and the owner always comes over to see if all is to your satisfaction. He is quite proud of his wine list (and should be) and can intelligently discuss the offerings. The list has tasting notes, which are reflective of the wineS that I've tasted. Bring your own wine if you want, but there is a $15 corkage fee. (As an aside, I was having dinner with a German friend and for dessert brought along a '99 Maximin Grunhaus Abtsberg BA from my schatzkammer - which was sublime - and the owner and his daughter (our waitress) were each invited to have a taste. They liked it and we briefly discussed it; it's that sort of place.) The decor is functional, spartan or linear, depending upon your reaction, plus there is outdoor seating in nicer weather.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Yes, the food is greeat. The atomosphere is very nice and they have a very nice sense of design and atmosphere. Wine selections were also pretty good. HOWEVER, the attitude is a bit much for me. They make it clear that if you come for an early seating, they want you out in 90 minutes. Understood, but the way it was delivered was not pleasant. Same with wait staff....you are never as good as you think you are. A little humility goes a long way.

1  Thank Millionmiles2013
Reviewed June 14, 2013

Worth the trip to Sewickley. Vivo has a good selection of wines, great Ginger Margaritas. Dinner for 2 with wine and a dessert was $100 with tip. My chicken came with white beans, broccoli and swiss chard. The chicken was roasted perfectly with carmelized garlic. Yum. My friend's walleye was also special. Dessert was salted caramel cheesecake in a lovely small portion. Great ensemble was playing on the patio.

1  Thank Shawny75
Reviewed May 11, 2013

Beautiful modern restaurant with great food! Only reason it doesn't get 5 stars is because it doesn't have a very large selection. Menu is only a page. Still very good & clean!

Reviewed March 7, 2013

I recently had occasion to go again, hosting a business group dinner, to Vivo in Sewickley. (I was host, but did not make the restaurant selection.) I was pleased to learn that Vivo is owned by two very warm and genuine people and that the restaurant goes to great lengths (confirmed independently) to buy local and organic. Once again, there was nothing on the menu that was indicated as vegan, or even vegetarian, very odd to me when I can find four marked vegan meals at bastions of tradition such as the Detroit Athletic Club! However, this time, the chef prepared a genuinely excellent and well presented selection of well crafted vegan items. Cobbled together, yes, but nonetheless excellent and much appreciated! Even though the menu was still desolate for any vegetarian or vegan, I was able to eat comfortably and enjoy a nice meal in an otherwise very nice atmosphere.

Unfortunately, there was one negative not present the first time: Foie Gras was on the menu. Foie gras is to food as fur is to clothing, if not worse. If you are not familiar, do your research--and note that for good reason it is illegal to produce or serve in California. I will no longer go to Vivo unless I know that they have removed foie gras from the menu permanently--there are just too many other alternatives. Most educated people I know feel this way about foie gras when the issue arises, so I do not hesitate to push this position in even a business context. This is a shame, as the Vivo restaurant is a real plus for Sewickley in so many ways and we are honored to have them here in the village.