“not the best” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Vivo

Vivo
Reserve with OpenTable
Vivo is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 44 Restaurants in Sewickley
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Broad Street
pittsburgh,pa
“not the best”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2012

We have been to both Vivo's in Bellevue and now Vivo Kitchen inSewickley. The 15.00 fee to drink your own wine is really over the top. Also, it seemed as if they are trying to make money on people drinking with the price of cocktails! I thought it was an eatery...you earn profit on the food you serve...not the drinks!. The marinara sauce on the pasta tasted like a can of crushed tomatoes with pepper. I tasted no garlic, onion basil or even some sea salt or olive oil. I am Italian and first generation born in the US. The sauce at both Vivo's and Vivo kitchen needs some help!! My pork was good but the Amaretti Mole sauce was overpowered by hot peper...I tasted no ameretti whatsoever. My husband ordered the Kobe eye steak with the mushroom salsa. The steak was undercooked and the salsa had a total of 3 mushrooms in it. The squash was still raw in some pieces...and we do like our veges crisp so they were cooked unevenly. I don't know for the amount of money we spent I could get better tasting Italian at La Famiglia or another place. I won't return nor reccommend...Sorry

• Visited February 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank dt3

Pittsburgh
“New location big improvement, plus wine availablity”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2012

We visited the new Vivo Kitchen restaurant in Sewickley PA last night with friends. The kitchen is much bigger and looks to be much better laid out. It's also easier to stand in the doorway and watch the symphony of cooking. The food was very good, as could be expected from Sam. We have been loyal followers since the early days in Bellevue, when the restaurant was BYOB with no credit card. The new restaurant has an excellent wine list, with a range of price points. The menu is inventive. I particularly enjoyed the poussin (a small roast chicken). Crispy skin, moist flesh, excellent flavor. It was served with very good broccolini and a roasted small sweet potato.
One caution. The kitchen seems to have a problem with meats ordered medium. Our friends ordered a pork chop and a filet. The server, who was excellent, asked about temperature and both said medium. Both meats were very close to well done, with little pink. However, the were both enjoyed very much, if a little more done than desired.
We will go back!

• Visited January 2012
Freedom, Pennsylvania
“New Location, Still Excellent”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2011

Now relocated to Beaver St in Sewickley Vivo is now Vivo Kitchen and has a liquor license although for a $15 corkage fee you can bring your own. Sam Battista, chef/owner, now has seasonal outdoor seating for another 30 in addition to a new bar area and tables seating about 40 inside. Reservations are a must for dinners on the weekends. Quality and service was excellent. Italian inspired cuisine features a fairly daily changing menu. We had duck breast w/ pork crusted ginger bits, spicy polenta, and salad apps. Entrees were whole roasted branzino, pork chop, duck breast, and chicken --all perfectly cooked.
A number of the wine selections are by the glass, and the list is well conceived with prices across the spectrum starting around $28 per bottle. Cocktails are big at Vivo Kitchen and the bartenders can make anything you wish. Vivo is not inexpensive, however you get what you pay for in quality, service, and personal attention.

• Visited October 2011
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“My favorite restaurant in Pittsburgh”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2011

My husband and I eat here often and we recommend it to everyone (and everyone we recommend it to loves it). The food is consistently awesome. The service is always warm and wonderful. I highly recommend the wild mushrooms, the strip steak, and the pizzelles (although I try lots of dishes here and I've never had a bad or even mediocre meal). There is no fixed menu so it's always a surprise what the chef will be serving that night. Awesome restaurant.

• Visited February 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
“An Absolute Must!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2010

Vivo is an absolute must.... even just once! The quaint, and cozy restaurant has a romanitic and warm feeling to it. The food, which is prsented via verbally, includes something for everyone, and many times, the chef can accomidate.The dinner was amazing. Everything is al a carte, but worth it. In addition, it's a BYOB establishment, with a $5 corkage fee. The service is wonderful. The servers seem to know exactly when to check on a table, which is great! I didn't feel overwhelmed nor ignored. I am incredibly impressed with Vivo, and would absolutly go back.