“Friendly, tasty, healthy!”

Emma's Food for Life
Ranked #2 of 40 Restaurants in Selinsgrove
Cuisines: American, Healthy
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Brunch, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Here at Emma's, we strive to serve only the freshest food made from local ingredients. We take pride in the quality of the food we serve to you. Our beef products come from grass-fed cattle, our pork products are from pasture-raised pigs and nitrate-free, and our poultry and eggs are free-range whenever possible. We buy organic ingredients whenever they are available to us, and many of our local providers are committed to natural, sustainable practices even if they cannot afford the certified organic stamp. We support local ingredients because we hope to serve our community in a sustainable manner. Eating local food also connects us to our community and helps us eat seasonally, the way nature intended. As time passes, we will not only buy locally, we will also obtain more and more of our products from Sunnyside Farm, the farm run by Emma's. This farm, which provides our restaurant with beef, pork, chicken, eggs, produce, and more, is run in a seasonable, sustainable, humane manner. This direct farm-to-restaurant connection provides you with food fresher and more delicious than you can find anywhere else.
new jersey
“Friendly, tasty, healthy!”
Reviewed July 18, 2014

What a terrific find! We were camping in the area and decided to randomly check out local restaurants in the area after a week of same ol' Perkins/Denny's/BBQ places. I have to admit, I was suspicious, being from NJ, that an organic restaurant would have tiny portions and strange flavors that my kids would not like (majorly fussy eaters in the family). Boy, was I in for a surprise. First of all, the server was very warm and friendly, the atmosphere relaxed, and the presentation of dishes, while lovely, was unpretentious. This place is ALL about high quality food, from steaming-hot whole wheat bread to homemade hot pepper sauce - simply amazing. Selections range from simple (pasta with red, pesto or cheese sauce) to fanciful (falafel with curry sauce), but the important thing is that everything works, the flavors mesh together, and you never ever feel like you're eating *gasp* healthy. Save place for dessert, too: chocolate pecan tart is to die for and well worth the calories, as is chocolate zucchini cake.

• Visited July 2014

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Passing through for lunch”
Reviewed July 11, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I wanted a healthy and local lunch experience. We found that and more here. The service was great and the food was delicious and prepared to our requests. Loved it! Yum!!

Baltimore
“Awesome farm to table restaurant and great friendly service.”
Reviewed May 18, 2014

My family ate at Emma's this past week and if I lived closer this would be a place I would go to regularly. If your travel range includes 30 minute radius, make the trip if you are into farm to table experiences.

Our meal started with terrific hot homemade wheat bread with house made jelly from Emma's garden. My daughter was licking the jelly with her fingers off the plate it was so good.

My basic simple salad was wonderful with a tasty homemade balsamic vinaigrette along with nearby grown fresh greens.

Our 4 year old had the chicken nuggets and is used to my homemade nuggets. She thought these were better and said the apple that came with it was the "best apple of her life."

My husband loved the rueben sandwich and his lamb soup.

My father-in-law did not love the smoked trout with a creamy mushroom sauce over a bed of noodles but I thought it was fantastic. I wished I had ordered that over the lentil, chickpea curry which was tasty but not as special as the trout.

The pineapple pizza was also well-loved by the table.

We did not try desserts but I am sure they would have been terrific too.

Alison our server was super enthusiastic and helpful.

• Visited May 2014
Brooklyn, New York
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Beautiful, Farm-Fresh Food from Scratch”
Reviewed May 8, 2014

I've had the pleasure of enjoying Emma's food in her restaurant so many times, and each meal has been awesome - delicious, creative, health-supportive, fresh, local, and lovingly prepared. Can't ask for much more than that!

I also was lucky enough to have Emma cater my wedding. It was FANTASTIC, and my friends and family are still raving. The food was beautiful and scrumptious, and she and her team were true professionals from start to finish.

I especially love her spanakopita, lasagna with white sauce, salad with cracked pepper dressing, and her many delicious desserts like lemon bars with homemade whipped cream!

I recommend Emma's Food for Life for life!

Visited August 2013
Canisteo New York
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Health food done right!”
Reviewed January 25, 2014

Our server, Allison, was very knowledgeable about the menu selections and ingredients. Our food was delicious. My raspberry ginger salmon and roasted brussel sprouts were cooked perfectly. My daughter had a grass fed beef burger and fries, which were baked. They were seasoned perfectly and no grease. And they have an extensive tea menu with everything a tea lover could hope for and more! The only reason we ranked the atmosphere average is we thought there might be a better way to market their teas etc that takes up so much room, which might add a little extra "warmth". We are looking forward to our next visit to Selinsgrove and dinner at Emma's! (And we hope Allison will be there!)

• Visited January 2014
Emma R, Owner at Emma's Food for Life, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
Thank you so much for your reply. We'll definitely brainstorm ways we could arrange our teas so that they don't take away from our restaurant's atmosphere, so we appreciate your input on that. One clarification: Our french fries actually are fried, they aren't baked. They are, however, local potatoes that we hand-cut in small batches and season with our own seasoning, so that's why they don't taste like your typical french fries. You are not the first person who's told us they love our "baked" french fries!

We hope to see you the next time you're in town!