“Wonderful Spring Break for Kids”
Review of Great Wolf Lodge

Great Wolf Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Scotrun
Reviewed February 28, 2011

If you plan properly, this has the potential to be an amazing vacation. We booked online during spring break and since our week doesn’t fall on the week of PA's spring break, we got a fabulous deal. You have to book a hotel room and the water park passes are included so there aren’t any hidden fees. We arrived early on a Thursday morning, walked right up to the desk with no wait and they got us right into a room before check in time even though you could tell the place was booked solid. An hour later I went down with a question and the line looked an hour long, so we may have just gotten lucky. I was able to pay for stuff with my debit card but you can only open a line of spending on the electronic water proof wristband using a credit card. The room was a plain two double bed suite with a pull out couch. So me and five tweens fit perfect. We could see the special cave rooms as you walked down the hall if the door was open and they looked cool but you don’t spend much time in the room so I wouldn’t pay the extra dollars. The super huge rooms looked nice though with a full kitchenette. If we were staying an extended period of time, I may have paid for that. Inside the room was a microwave and minifridge, two TVs and a fireplace with a balcony overlooking the woods. You don’t have to go outside to get to the water park. The place has multiple shops which you can buy food, masseuse services, souvenirs etc but everything costs so so so much money. You could easily spend thousands of dollars in a day. However, we brought a cooler with sandwich makers, a few cheap TV dinners, lots of drinks and instant oatmeal so I didn’t spend anything on food except an ice cream or two. The place is very noisy even after the water park closes, but surprisingly we didn’t hear much in our room. There were always clean dry towels available, not always folded because they go through thousands a day. It was difficult to find a chair but if you looked around for a bit you could always find one, never a group of them but I was the only one sitting. Everything is wet which means don’t bring anything electronic into the place cause you can’t set it down. The temperature was perfect for swimsuits in and out, wet or dry. The lines were always long but they didn’t take too long to get through them because they have multiple entrances for each slide. I felt safe letting my 9 and 11 year old run wild after they knew where I would be and didn’t fear them getting lost or anything. Every time I looked for them, I found them within minutes. I gave one of the teenagers a door key because they were too cool to stay in the water as long as the younger ones. They said they got bored, but it was better than staying home since I let them bring a friend to gossip with. Upon check out, it was easy to load up the car and stay in the water park until I wanted to leave so I wasn’t driving in the dark. There was a basic craft room which was free when the little ones got bored in the water. There was also a large arcade that was open very late they enjoyed, nice enough to bribe them with quarters to behave. There are a few attractions like build/race model cars, teen dance club and a baby manicure place that looks so cool I wish I was 10 again. They begged and begged to buy all of these but I didn’t give in because the prices were not worth it. However, this area was down a corridor we didn’t have to use so they only asked once instead of every time we passed. There really isn’t anything close to the lodge except a gas station and a few mom&pop shops so if you forget something you have to drive a half hour to the next town's Wal-Mart. The biggest negative is that the park is very very chlorinated and we ended up leaving with it in our lungs and burnt skins only after the one night stay. Take frequent showers and use aloe or something to protect your skin.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank jmanning28
There are newer reviews for Great Wolf Lodge

Reviewed February 26, 2011

Below is the letter we sent to Great Wolf Lodge:

February 26, 2011

My family and I spent the night of February 24 at Great Wolf Lodge located in Scotrun,
PA. Reservation number was 16227857. This marked our second and possibly our last
stay at Great Wolf Lodge. Below are our reflections on our stay, the good, the bad and
the ugly. Given that we probably spent in the range of $800-$1000 over twenty-four
hours at Great Wolf I do not think my comments or expectations are anything but
reasonable.

On our arrival we stood in line for nearly 30 minutes to check in. All checking
registers were staffed but the line was quite long.

All staff we're very friendly.

We were told that we would be notified when our room was ready via txt
message. We arrive around 12:30 (ish). I waited in line another 15 minutes
around 4 pm to find out our room was ready. Never got a text message.
The water park seemed in need of maintenance. It was clearly not as clean as
the last time we attended four years ago. There was a lot of what appeared to
be rust and algae on the structures, some of the cement was slippery as well.

The lines were times terrible, but it was not an issue of number of guests, but
rather the staff running the rides. For instance, our first night after dinner, the
line for the roller coasters like ride took twice as long as it did mid day on our
second day. The line was the same length! The difference was clearly the
pace at which the staff launched each boat and at which recovered boats came
up the elevator. The same held true for every ride on the top level.

Or bed was terrible! Terrible! The mattress felt like it had never been replaced.
It sunk in the middle and was soft and mushy. If you like a soft, mushy bed then
request room 3006. My wife attempted to speak with a manager at 8:45 am this
morning. She waited for fifteen minutes then left to take our children to the water
park when it opened. No manager could be found. Thereafter the lines were so
long we could not wait in them again.

The Magic Quest was in disrepair. At time the want was difficult to use and
activate the various displays.

Last but not least you charged us $10 for a cot. When I asked about the cot on
during our reservation I was told that you had cots. You neglected to tell me that
you charge $10.

We hope you take these comments seriously. We will share them and your response
with our friends who are considering or may consider Great Wolf Lodge now and in the
future.

5  Thank Zolzac
Reviewed February 22, 2011

The kids were out of control there, our rooms had terrible window draft and the beds were uncomfortable. The cleaning crew were always in the hall way and you had to walk around them to get around. The breakfast we paid for was terrible the bacon was dried and the bread tasted old, you had to keep asking the waitress for your drink it was a hassle all around. In my opinion the money we were charged was way over what this place was worth. As for the pool areas and the rides the water look dirty not inviting at all. We took our family there to celebrate a special occasion and it was ruin with all negatives that we had to endured. This place is all about money so if you don't have it in an abundant GW may not be for you.

2  Thank Codie11-11
Reviewed February 21, 2011

My family and I stayed a GWL on February 19th. We arrived and unpacked at around 2:30. We pulled out the sleeper couch and found mouse poop and a giant hole in the bedding. We called the front desk and they sent someone up. We asked for a new couch but they said a new pad was the best they could do. The guy who switched pads pulled it out and dumped the poop all over the floor and couch. We asked if anyone would be in to clean up the room and he said probably not. My husband went down to the front desk and they did offer us a new room. We appreciated that. Unfortunately, we had already spent 3 1/2 hours of our stay trying to fix the problem. We had to pack everything back up and move to the next available room. We did not get to spend anytime in the waterpark on our first night's stay. I feel like we missed out on a good portion of our trip. Very hard to explain to 2 - 7 year olds and 2 - 4 year olds. It is a pretty expensive trip and I don't feel like we got our moneys worth. I have pictures of the poop and the hole...the only thing missing is the mouse!

3  Thank Family033
Reviewed February 19, 2011

We stayed 2 nights and enjoyed every moment. It is an expensive vacation, but worth the memories. The only con would be the food. The buffet is good for breakfast, but not so good for lunch or dinner. I think if you stay for more than a night you may want to think about going out to dinner. Take snacks!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank boogdie
Reviewed February 16, 2011

I went to Great Wolf Lodge with my husband and two small children (3 and a half and 5 months). We stayed 2 nights (Sunday and Monday) . The waterpark was great. There is an area designated for small children so there was a safe place for my 3 year old to play. There were small waterslides that were perfect for my daughter and I was able to stay at the bottom and catch her. There is an entrance to the fort from the middle of the small kids area and we had a great time climbing up and down and turning the water features off and on. You have to be prepared to get wet. There were a few parents who seemed pretty annoyed if they got sprayed or splashed or water dumped on their heads. My daughter stepped on one of the spray things that shoot water from the floor and it hit a guy who looked annoyed and when my husband took my daughter past him he stepped on one and shot it at them and made some kind on comment to my husband. Of course, my husband ignored him because he obviously was an angry individual.

All the kids at the hotel were running around with wands playing MagiQuest so, of course, my little one wanted to play too. We got her the wand and activated the game we knew she was too little to understand how to play but she LOVED aiming her wand at the things and making them do stuff. She really thought it was magic... so cute!

The children's spa is ridiculously overpriced but we did it anyway :) My daughter had the Single Scoop package and loved every minute of it.

As far as food goes I was pleasantly surprised. It was, by no means, gourmet but I was expecting it to be horrible and everything I tried was very good. We had breakfast both mornings and lunch two days. We stayed in the waterpark pretty late and my daughter wanted to see the clocktower show and story time so we ended up having pizza from a local pizzeria in our room one night and burgers in our room the other night because it was quicker than going to the buffet. Oh and the coffee in the buffet at breakfast was soooo good!

Even though there is so much to do in that area of PA we only left the hotel briefly to go on a horse drawn sleigh ride at Happy Trails Stable. The people that work there were so nice and we had a great time.

All in all, it was a great trip and we can't wait to go back. I saw some reviews where people complained about rowdy children. It is, after all, a hotel for children. Children will behave the way children behave and it's unreasonable to expect them to be quiet all the time and not to run. Granted some parents need to watch and/or discipline better but that's none of my business. I was there to have fun and wasn't about to let a little noise and rowdy kids get in the way. Besides, I thought they were all adorable and it was really nice to see such joyful faces all day long.

1  Thank poof86ed
Reviewed February 13, 2011

Check in: We had been going for a few years for the holiday seasons. It had always been a great experience until holiday season of 2009. We always arrived early, and the first few times the reservation staffs were very nice and called us when the room was ready for us to check in before 4PM. In this last time, Dec 2010, we requested a specific room and was told that it was fine. We saw the housekeeper finished cleaning the room and asked the representative at the desk if we could check in. She kept saying that the room was not ready. I said, it is ready, I saw it. She said, oh, it's not the room we gave you. I said, you said that *is* the room. She said, oh, there are many rooms like that. We stood in the lobby with 2 little kids waited for 2 hours, until 4PM. Then we asked if the room was ready. She said, yes and gave us the keys. It was the exact same room we told her that was ready 2 hours ago! I don't understand why she could not give us the key until 4PM, although it was so ready.
Food service: we paid an arm and a leg for the buffet. There were so many people during the holiday stay, and the food containers were always empty quickly and we had to wait for a long time for a serving person behind the counter to add new food to the containers. Inside the water park there is a snack bar that serves fast food. The line was so long that if you get there right after a water ride to wait on line, by the time you get your food, your suit would be dry! Short in staff?!
Water Park: There used to be stack of towels folded nicely in the big garment wagon and when you walk in, you just pick one up. Now when you walk in, you see a guy rushes to pick up the messy towels trying to hand to each customer, but of course he's not fast enough, so you will see a group of customers dip their bodies in the wagon to reach to the bottom for towels. When we were going for the Hydro Plunge ride, there weren't enough rafts so everyone still had to wait for a raft when it's their turn to slide down.
They don't honor repeat customers for a discount rates. This would be the last time for us to go there.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank ImTraveler2
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scotrun
Pocono Manor Resort & Spa
#1 of 7 in Mount Pocono
Split Rock Resort
Split Rock Resort
#2 of 3 in Lake Harmony

Been to Great Wolf Lodge? Share your experiences!