“Terrific, Fun stay --”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Scotrun
Brooklyn baby
“Terrific, Fun stay --”
Reviewed January 4, 2011

We went at the end of the winter vacation as my son had the Monday off and i knew not a lot of kids did ... We still had a 45 minute delay on check in .. i waited and my husband took my son for a look at the property... He was very excited about everything he saw..

Fortunately - he was not interested in the magic thing - which is an ad on - and we were not in a position to pay extra anyway .. He did think he'd want to go to the game space - but we didn't have the time and he didn't miss it.

We spent more on this room that I've spent on any hotel - anywhere else in my entire life - but I do think it was a good value because we did the waterpark both days and that was the lure for us ...

My son is on the Autism Spectrum and he adores waterplay .. It was the perfect place to take him at the end of the vacation though I have NO doubt we'd be singing a different tune if we went during the core period of the vacation (not that I could have afforded that!).

Our fireplace room was plenty big -- if a little too warm - even w/o the fireplace on. We had the breakfast buffet at $10 p/p which was okay - not great and we had lunch the following day; My son's $7.99 meal was value packed w/sandwich, fries, teddy grahams, applesauce and wolf ears! Mine was a little pricey but came w/soup & salad bar and I had both and took 1/2 my sandwich home w/me.

This is totally a fun place and if it won't break your bank to go -- AND if you and/or the kids love water -- it's a must do in the winter time.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank rachelfran
GWL_Management, General Manager at Great Wolf Lodge, responded to this review, January 21, 2011
We really appreciate that you took the time to share your thoughts with us! We are so happy to hear that you family had a great vacation and found the value in the waterpark passes being included in the price of the room.

We hope you come and visit us again soon!

Patrick Alvarez - General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (567)
  • Turkish first
Annapolis, Maryland
Reviewed January 3, 2011

Yes, our stay was at a very busy time of year but we have stayed at many different properties during the Christmas week. In addition, this is the 3rd Great Wolf property we have stayed at (and have stayed for a total of 7 visits). This one, by far, is the worst value for money. The property itself is showing significant signs of wear and tear.....from lots of rust in the water park area to the majority of games being broken in the arcade to the simply worn out furniture in the rooms. The staff (other than a wonderful gentleman at the ice cream parlor who tried hard to exceed his guests' expectations) wallowed in a sea of mediocrity, ranging from apathetic to complete annoyance at having to actually work during their shift. Poor food quality, long lines at food venues, slow service were seen at every venue in the resort. The free Internet does not work well in the rooms (but was fine in the lobby). Camelback Mountain (closest ski resort) is also showing its age. The hefty price tag ($575/night room rate) is slightly elevated to what we have paid at the other locations (assume this is due to the holidays). If you would like the Great Wolf Lodge experience, my recommendation would be to keep on driving to the property in Williamsburg, Va....much better venue and staff!!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Thank you for reviewing the Great Wolf Lodge. I am glad that you have enjoyed your stays with us in the past. I am disappointed that your most recent stay did not exceed your expectations.

I am most concerned that you did not receive the level of guest service that we pride ourselves on delivering. Your comments will be shared with our pack members so that we can learn from your experience and improve our customer interactions.

I do hope you will return again and allow us the opportunity to provide you with the service and amenities you expect.

Chatham, New Jersey
Reviewed January 2, 2011

we brought our two boys to great wolf lodge for three days over new years.

the midnight party in the lobby was fabulous. it was like times square with kids!! the hotel supplied noise makers and hats and had a balloon drop at midnight. a nice touch was the sparkling cider for the boys and the champagne flutes for the adult bubbly.

the hotel was very, very clean. far cleaner and up to date than the comparable room we stayed in at disney.

the location was perfect -- right next to camelback so that the boys could ski.

we got a wolf den room which was awesome since it provided a bit of privacy (walls in the den do not go to the ceiling) so that my boys and I could get changed to go to sleep, ski or water park without waiting to go in the bathroom. my older son slept like a bear cub in that darkened space!!

room downside: we sometime like a cocktail in our room post-dinner. the fridge was helpful in keeping wine chilled but we only had bathroom cups or coffee mugs to drink out of. wine glasses in the room would have been nice but we couldn't even borrow glasses from the bar. thin rimmed plastic glasses in the rooms would be a nice compromise on the part of hotel management even if you must request them from guest services.

the staff is very nice and very helpful -- just a bit clueless. that might be a case of turnover since it takes a lot of people to keep this summer camp in the poconos running.

I can't speak to value since we probably stayed over the most expensive time of the year but...for $500+ a night I'd love to have a door on my closet and complimentary bottled water in my room. I'd love the water because it's sometimes overheated in the lodge and you get dehydrated at the water park. also, considering that we don't count soda as a a hydration vehicle, we found bottled water hard to find and expensive. that said, the tap water tastes fine in a pinch.

good values:
1) the 4 day magic quest activation--my boys loved to fill in the twenty minutes between skiing and swimming with a quest around the lodge
2) the guests only water park -- my boys spent 4 hours there our last day. they let you stay and play even after check out.
3) the starbucks onsite -- no more expensive than my local starbucks and offering a full range of your favourite coffee drinks

okay value:
the buffet. it was plentiful and the servers very nice and prompt with a check or a drink. but, enjoying fresh vegetables, unsauced foods and food served warm if not hot, we were not impressed with the buffet at the price charged us. the only benefit to dining there is the convenience and the fact that you can get a location wide buzzer to alert you to your open table rather than need to wait on line in the lobby.

sleep quality is a difficult one for us. the beds were comfy and the linens clean and nice. however, paying up for the wolf den we were surprised to find our room right next to a magic quest wing. luckily our children do not go to sleep early or sleep late so the constant parade of children by our room activating chests and talking pictures did not hamper our sleep time but it did make relaxing in our rooms post-ski and pre-dinner VERY DIFFICULT.

overall--
**go for the kids just like you go to disney
**don't expect to relax at all unless you escape to the spa
**don't fantasize about warming yourself by the fire after a day in the cold -- it's in the middle of the reception center and the buffet seating area -- it is covered with kids and crowded at all times
**eat out if you can -- there are a number of good restaurants in driving distance that'll give you better value for the money
**the breakfast buffet is the best deal
**great place to stay if you want a clean, well-run place near camelback as long as you're willing to pay up and sacrifice peace and quiet for fun with the kids

recommendation for management: carve out another adult oriented space other than the hot tub or the spa. many of us have children that can be let to roam magic quest alone or go the water park with only one adult. having a quiet place to curl up with a book or read your emails would be fabulous!!

4 Thank worstmomintheworld
We really appreciate the time you took to comment about your recent stay at Great Wolf Lodge. We're so glad you enjoyed the accommodations, waterpark and MagiQuest. The insight you provided into an adult quiet area is also quite interesting. We will keep that in mind as we plan for improvements to the property.

We hope to see you again soon!

Whitehall, PA
Reviewed January 1, 2011

We experienced a wonderful second stay at Great Wolf Lodge. I highly recommend getting the loft suite! We enjoyed this room very much as it offered a loft that overlooked the sitting area downstairs, a tv, and a bathroom. The photos on Great Wolf’s site are very valid- check out the rooms and pick the one that suits your needs the best. Keep an eye on Great Wolf's website to look for deals. Once again Melissa Beers was a huge help!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
Thank you for sharing your thoughts about your recent stay at Great Wolf Lodge. Melissa is a rock star here and we appreciate your kind words about her!

We hope to see you again soon.

New York City, New York
Reviewed December 26, 2010

Went for a one night stay with family. We arrived at 2:00 PM and there already was a huge line at check in. Although it was an orderly process, it took them 45 minutes to check us in. Tried to get dinner reservations, but we were told the only times available were between 4:00PM and 4:30PM or after 8:30PM. Since none of those times suited us, we decide to skip dinner at GWL. We got to our room, it was a 2 bedroom with living room. Not the cleanest, there were dust in the corners of the carpets, and as my kids were playing behind the curtains, they noticed what appeared to be dried food stains all over the back of the curtains. The bathrooms didn't fare any better as one of the sinks was coming off the wall and one of the bathtubs had a broken drain stopper. Our kids did have a good time in the water park as it was nice & clean and plenty of lifeguards. My kids were there for a few hours and then decided to eat off site at Friendly's. Came back, decided to use the internet as the hotel advertised wi-fi was included in every room. Tried to log on unsuccessfully for two hours only to be told that too many people were using it. During the night, the entire hotel was woken up by the fire alarm, as someone apparently burned popcorn in the microwave. When I called an hour later to find out what happened ( I'm the type of person that when woken up, can't go back to sleep) the person at the end was pretty rude. He had some sort of accent, and basically, he was like "It's all over, everything's fine, now back to sleep, and just hung up the phone). Next morning, pretty tired after only getting three hours of sleep, we decided we had enough and checked out early.

1 Thank makbob
We appreciate that you took the time to write a review about your recent trip to Great Wolf Lodge. I'm sorry that your experience did not exceed your expectations.

I am most disappointed to hear about the housekeeping issues with your room and the unfriendly service you received from a pack member. These comments have been shared with the applicable members of our management team and will be addressed.

I hope you will return sometime in the future so that we can give you the guest experience we pride ourselves on delivering.

New York, NY
Reviewed December 26, 2010

This was our fourth stay at a GWL. Our kids have always loved it (as have we), but I was prepared for some let-down this year. I was specifically concerned that hotel and pool maintenance might have suffered with the downturn in the economy and normal aging of the facilities. We did not find that to be the case. GWL has worked hard to maintain its facilities, from guest rooms to pool area to common areas. All pool area attractions were open and working. Lifeguards were well trained and attentive. Water and air temp were warm. The room itself was large and all furniture was well maintained. Check-in time was also shorter than in the past (but still 15 minutes). GWL is not cheap, but it's always a memorable family experience, and we've always been happy we came.

1 Thank nyc04
Thank you for your kind words about Great Wolf Lodge. We are happy to hear that your family has enjoyed our resort on multiple occasions and that during this last visit we were able to exceed your expectations.

I hope we can host you again soon!

New York City, New York
Reviewed December 19, 2010

This is our second trip to GWL in Scotrun during December. Last year when we went, my wife and I remembered it as being cold in the hotel, cold in the water, my girls lips turning blue, and uncomfortable beds. We were reluctant to go back but remembered that the girls REALLY enjoyed it, so we gave it another chance.

This time, we were very satisfied with the trip and our girls LOVED it.

Check in was a breeze but we arrived late, 6:30pm on Friday.

Water Park - Water and weather inside was warm as advertised in the 80s and my girls lips stayed nice and rosy the entire time. They loved going down the water slides and there were barely any lines despite it being reasonably crowded. We were going to get body suits for them this year but glad we didn't as we wouldn't have used them.

Magic Quest - Girls had the best time running around during the two days that we stayed going on adventures with us. The family had a lot of fun going on quests. We bought them each a pink belt with a holster for the wand. They ate it up.

Scoops - The girls each got a manicure package with robe, free ice cream, and mug. Again a huge hit. They can't stop staring at their nails.

Arcade - Spent many hours in the arcade. I'm almost afraid that this is the "gateway arcade" to the casinos but again they had a blast. Probably spent $60-80 and they got a bunch of stuffed animals, etc.

Food - Expensive. We are thin people who like good food but not large quantities of it. The only main options were the pool food, which was decent, or the dinning area. The problem with the main dining area is that the only option is an expensive buffet @ $25 per adult and $15 per child. We would have eaten probably 20 dollars worth in total for the entire family. We ended up eating at the pizza hut there. The great thing was that when our pizza bubbled and looked ugly, the person offered to give us the "ugly" pizza and gave us a new pizza and buffalo wings for the inconvenience. Great service. We ate for dinner and lunch the next day. The other meal, I drove down the street to China III for take out and it was fine.

Beds - My back is still stiff from the lumpy bed. My girls are fine.

The bottom line. I agree with the other reviewers in that it is VERY expensive for the food and other activities. The food is mediocre at best. If you are tight on cash, this may not be the easiest place for your wallet. Expect to spend a decent amount after the hotel fee for the full experience. You have a microwave in your room so consider bringing some lunch foods, etc, including beer or wine (also a fridge). Consider take out near by. Spend your money on the fun stuff.

We are definitely going to go back. My wife and I are typically used to 4-5 star accommodations. Beds and food was at a 2-3 star level but the entertainment for the girls was at a 5 star level, well worth it.

3 Thank Dad0twins
Thank you for sharing your experience with us! I am so happy to hear that your girls had a great time at the Lodge. I am sure they looked very cute in their MagiQuest wand belts.

I'm also glad to hear that you received great customer service from our pack members. We pride ourselves on giving high quality guest service.

I'm glad we were able to exceed your expectations on this most recent trip and hope to see you again soon.

Patrick Alvarez - General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scotrun
Pocono Manor Resort & Spa
#2 of 7 in Mount Pocono
Mount Airy Casino Resort
Mount Airy Casino Resort
#1 of 7 in Mount Pocono

Been to Great Wolf Lodge? Share your experiences!