“Great family resort”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Scotrun
Marlboro, New Jersey
“Great family resort”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2009

Just returned from a 1 night 2 day stay at the Great Wolf Lodge in Scotrun PA, with my husband and two kids (4 and 21 mths). Here is the good, the bad, and the ugly from our trip.
The good...
Location was about 1 1/2 hours from NYC.
Very conveniently located off the highway.
Lots of food options and supermarkets within 5 miles.
Our room was upgraded free of charge to a fireplace room without even asking!
Large room with balcony, fridge and microwave in room.
Lots to do in the hotel: large indoor waterpark (good for young children as well as teens); outdoor pool area in the summer; arcade; spa for kids and adults.
Seasonal activities: Story time with Rowdy the Reindeer, Santa visit, horse/carriage ride, snowfall in the lobby.
For as many people there are visiting this place I found the room and pool area to be VERY clean! I was pleasantly surprised.
The bad....
No room service (unless you count the stale Pizza Hut that can be delivered with an 18% gratuity added on).
If you stay on the 2nd level there are no vending machines. Once everything closes at 11pm you need to go up or down to get drinks/ice.
The food around the pool area was poor quality. Although I didn't find the prices to be extremely unreasonable (comparable to theme park prices - as expected) as others had mentioned the Pizza Hut was stale and the snack bar in the pool area only had super greasy food choices (hotdogs, burgers, fries). We did get a snack from the bar to bring back to our room - quesadillas and shrimp cocktail and they were pretty good and portions were big.
The lobby area was super crowded and needed someone to constantly keep sweeping and cleaning. Lots of garbage around.
Room prices were high - search the web for coupon codes! I used code SPLASHERS to save $20 a night.
The staff was young and really could care less. I found the front desk staff to be the worst but some of the life guards in the pool area were just staring into space rather than watching the pools!
The Ugly...
Check In - ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE!!! When you walk into a front door and see a roped off area for the line for check in that is not a good sign. We waited on line about 30 minutes. We were told we would get a call on our cell phone when our room was ready (we arrived around 3:30pm - no rooms available yet). We never got a call and waited until 4:45 before going back to the desk to check on our room. Our room was ready and they apologized for not calling but we paid big bucks for a 1 night stay, I was hoping to be in the room when we arrived!
Overall we were pretty pleased with our stay. I was pretty worried after reading some reviews. Would I stay again? Not really sure just yet! The kids did enjoy everything once we got all checked in. Great Wolf really needs to do something about check in though, it was really not pleasant to be greeted to a roped off line of 20 other people waiting to check in.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank Didojen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (554)
  • Turkish first
NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2009

I was there for 2night 3days with 2 other couples. overall we had a great time however it is expensive! just for the room it was 200 per person which is 1200 for the room total. the food is wayy to over priced(2 meals + drinks will rack up to be around 40 dollars for mediocre food) and well as the water ($3 per bottle!) (thank god we brought our own) they have a mini fridge in each room so we brought snacks and drinks which saved us alot of money. The water park i must say was really enjoyable. the arcade was fun. When I have kids I would love to go back and have my kids try the magicquest :) overall great experience

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends
cfranklingw2005, General Manager at Great Wolf Lodge, responded to this review, December 3, 2009
I too must agree. The waterpark at Great Wolf Lodge is a blast for people of all ages. It is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We understand that food and beverage will result in extra costs so I am glad to hear that you were able to use the mini-fridge in the suite. The game you mentioned has been a hit at the lodge, MagiQuest...it is not only for kids. MagiQuest works like a video game in the sense that it changes players to "Magi” allowing them to complete quests, accumulate powers, and proceed to higher levels of the game; however, unlike a video game it is not merely confined to a computer screen. For additional details, please visit our website. I do hope that you choose to visit us again soon. Thank you for sharing your story.
Best,
Patrick Alvarez
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2009

Had a few drinks at the bar and jumped on the tube water coasters. Blasted the kids with the water cannons, played claw machines at the arcade after hours. Rooms were nice with fireplaces, but most of time was spent at the waterpark.

Stayed January 2007, traveled with family
Middletown, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2009

The Great Wolf Lodge in the Pocono mountains is a very nice hotel and waterpark and well worth a visit. I’ll leave the question of value up to each person who visits because at a min. room price of about $300 per night for family of 5, it is not cheap.
This is a great place, rooms were large, clean and comfortable. The waterpark was nice and the kids had a blast. They do run a top notch facility here and except for the food everything was first class. The place was noisy, even in your room but honestly it was not too much of a distraction.
There are a bunch of restaurants within a 10 minute drive so you don’t need to eat at GWL and with a fridge, microwave and sink in room you can bring your own stuff if you like.
Bottom line : If your kids are between 5 and 15 they will have a lot of fun, the waterslides are great (seemed like 8 in total). In reading past reviews the only problems I would reiterate are the noise and food otherwise just go and have fun!!!

5 Thank jim b
New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2009

I know there have been some negative reviews. However, my sons are 8 and 10 and had the time of their lives! Also, this is an expensive trip but note that one night here is plenty. You will be too tired from swimming and climbing the stairs for Magiquest to keep going. We arrived early on a Sunday, in our bathing suits. Check in had a minimal wait, we got our wristbands and headed right to the waterpark! Warm inside on a rainy, nasty day. No lockers available, but the gift shop attendant said due to the time they would be opening soon. Hubby waited so kids could get started and joined us shortly. People have been complaining about towel shortage, they were constantly replenishing the towels. It was a bit crowded, but I felt the place was contained enough that my 10 year old could wait on a slide line while we swam with my younger son in the wave pool. At 4 PM we went right to our room and dried off to do Magiquest and eat. I would not recommend the buffet if your child is picky--too expensive. I also wouldn't leave to eat, the kids were having too much fun but there are some very close places. Staff helpful with directions, my husband had to go to Walmart. Bring extra bathing suits so you always have a dry one, we went back to the park at 7PM, much less crowded and stayed until closing. Played Magiquest the rest of the evening, thank goodness they shut it off at a predetermined time. Our room overlooked then outdoor pool and we heard no noise. Woke the kids up early-- plenty of time to sleep later! Ate a less expensive breakfast at Starbucks, no need to spend $ on the buffet meal. Called desk to do quick checkout and they state if I come to the front desk bt 9:30 AM we can get a $15 refund--this is a no brainer. They also didn't even have to tell us about this. Put stuff in car, kept clean clothes for locker. Enjoyed practically no lines on slides or crowds in activity pool due to it being Monday. Kids ride slides over and over. We ate Pizza Hut(more expensive than home) but still a cheap lunch at $17. More Magiquest and seeing gift shop and home. Tiring for us, we dropped some $ but the kids are talking about it weeks later. It was completely fun for them. I would recommend it, try an off peak time for better prices, less crowds and less aggravation. Come ready to begin swimming and bring your own snacks and drinks, you have a fridge.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
4 Thank ginacope
NJ
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2009

Stayed during "NJ week" when the kids have no school, for one night, so that my young children could have a mini vacation at their first indoor waterpark. I would not stay for more than one night,as there really is nothing to do except for the waterpark. It's okay for a quick getaway, but is definitely a tourist trap. We saved $ by not eating at the hotel and not participating in any of the activities that require you to pay extra, such as Magiquest, spa services, and Cub Club. This is fine if you have young children, but older kids will want to play Magiquest and do the game room activities.

They have a nightly show and storytime in the lobby for kids, but my 4 year old was scared of the moving characters and the location of the show and storytime is poorly planned by the Lodge. It is right in the middle of the lobby and kids were crawling all over the floor as there were no seats for them. Guests had to climb over them and push past the parents standing around to get by-seemed like a fire hazard to me.

Waterpark: Nice attractions, but overcrowded and cold! Overhead ceiling fans contributed to the cold feeling that we already had because the temperature of the water throughout the park was cool, not even lukewarm. The only exception was the hot tubs. Wave pool was fun, but a little too aggressive for my young children (4 and 6). The kiddie area with slides was their favorite and the water is only about a foot deep, so even kids that can't swim well can have fun. They do provide life jackets, so you don't need to bring them. Do bring your own towels from home, though, because the waterpark towels are small, have a rough texture, and are sparse. They ran out. several times throughout our stay. Bring your own food/snacks as well, since they don't seem to enforce any rules about only eating their food in the waterpark. Beware of ants and bugs though, as we saw several of the critters on the floor, since they allow you to eat in the pool area. Also, spotted several used band-aids and smashed wet food throughout the water park, including the lazy river. Eeeew! Locker room definitely had the scuz factor-wet towels and toilet paper on the floors, general icky feeling. We ended up changing in the hotel bathroom outside the water park, which was much cleaner, and showered that night when we got home.

Hotel rooms were nice but needed better lighting and A/C was too close to the pull-out sofa where my kids slept. Fridge and microwave in room helped keep food costs down.

Biggest complaint-Hotel was generally loud, chaotic and filled with unruly guests. General feeling was that the parents were there to party and let their kids run throughout the hotel haphazardly, making noise until all hours. Signs are posted in the hotel rooms about noise being kept down between 11pm and 7:30 am, but nobody paid attention, and we saw no hotel employees enforcing this rule. Hotel floors shook from kids and people running around, even though we were on the top floor. Don't expect to go to bed early here because the noise outside our room continued until well past midnight.

Biggest shock factor: People with open cans and bottles of beer throughout the entire lodge, even in the pool!!! Never in all my travels have I seen a hotel, particularly one that caters to kids allow alcohol in any areas outside of the restaurant/bar, but at GW, people were openly drinking in the lobby areas and throughout the waterpark.

Gift shop: Overpriced and impractical items. Bring your own medicine from home unless you want to pay $2 for 2 Pepto bismol chewable tablets! They had nice kids GW t-shirts for $15 apiece and sweatshirts for $30 apiece--overpriced, but quality items.

Overall, the kids had a fairly good time, but I would not be in a hurry to return to GW anytime soon.

5 Thank beentheredonethatNj
new jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2009

This was our third stay at the GWL and we continue to have a great time. This time we stayed in the fireplace suite which is a little larger than the standard room. We really have no complaints. The rooms are spacious, clean and comfortable and the staff work hard to check you in and out efficiently. The place does get crowded and hectic but they do their best to keep it tolerable. The kids don't seem to mind the chaos. One possible area of improvement might be if there were more dining options.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scotrun
Pocono Manor Resort & Spa
Mount Airy Casino Resort
Mount Airy Casino Resort
#1 of 7 in Mount Pocono
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,251 reviews

Been to Great Wolf Lodge? Share your experiences!