“Great mini-vacation for our family”
Review of Great Wolf Lodge

Great Wolf Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Scotrun
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
“Great mini-vacation for our family”
Reviewed March 15, 2014

This was our first visit to Great Wolf Lodge, but it won't be our last. I'll preface this by stating that an indoor water park and loads of excited kids is not my personal preference for a getaway, but this trip was a gift for my daughters, ages 9 and 12, so my review is based on our experience as a family. That said, we had a wonderful time! Our room was spacious and immaculate. We were on the 4th floor and by 11:00pm it was quiet on our floor (in keeping with the "hibernation" hours).

My girls loved the water park. Aside from a quick bite to eat, they never stopped riding the slides. I loved the fact that the slides, while fast and exciting, were not too big for my petite 9 year old to ride. In fact, I'm guessing that most 8 year olds would be able to do everything there, which is great for them. One of the things that I was VERY impressed with was the lifeguarding staff. They were professional, 100% attentive, and obviously well-trained. It seemed as though there was a guard every 5 feet or so. Whomever is responsible for training the lifeguards is to be commended.

The food was good. Perhaps the best was the pizza that we bought and ate in the water park. It was hot, delicious, and totally affordable. Friends of ours said the subs were amazing as well and the 12" could feed an entire family. I read reviews stating that the food was expensive, but it doesn't have to be. If you want something cheaper, sure you can go offsite, but I'm willing to pay a little more in order to only walk 50 yards for a meal and not have to change out of my bathing suit or trudge out in the blustery cold.

The kids had a blast doing MagiQuest. It's smart of Great Wolf Lodge to have another major activity aside from the water park.

Every staff member I encountered was very friendly and helpful.

At one point, my 9-year-old said that the water park was more fun than Disney. So I guess we'll be back!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (564)
  • Turkish first
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed March 15, 2014

I've been going to GWL in the Pocono mountains around Presidents week every year since it opened in 2005 with the exception of one year. Here is what I know for absolute 100% fact:

1. The advertised pool area temperature of 84 degrees has NEVER EVER been true!! It's chilly in there!! I've heard guests complain about this since it opened in 2005! Don't believe for one second that Jason or anyone else there is giving you anything more than lip service. They have been allegedly "looking into this" since ipening day--LOL!

2. The food in the buffet has gotten worse EVERY YEAR since opening. The best thing is the pasta station (dinner) and omelette station (breakfast) but despite the fact that there is ALWAYS a line backed up at this area, they NEVER station a second cook with additional cooktops. The kitchen staff is VERY friendly, but their hands appear to be tied with the food offerings. Many years ago, they offered lobster tails at the buffet ...recently, fresh lobster dropped to the lowest price in 50 years but GWL wasn't creative enough to pick up on this! Most of the food is ok but not worth the cost...and I don't blame the chefs for that.

3. GWL tries everywhere to skimp... For example...years ago they installed the CFL BULBS in their guest rooms to save energy BUT the bulbs were not bright enough to read a book or see properly...we had to bring our own bulbs for several seasons until it got better. There are other areas where they skimp to the detriment of the guest ...VERY low flow shower heads etc...My point is that they skimp at the consumer's expense without lowering the cost to the consumer.

4. Check in has gotten alot better but it took an episode of undercover boss to end that fiasco!!!

5. The chaos in the magiquest area is mind boggling! Don't these young people who staff this area know when to call for reinforcements or are they not allowed to ask for more help?? The point is...when you are spending such an enourmous amount of money, you don't want to waste time in unnecessary lines!

6. This may be controversial. There is a certain group of folk that seem to come in on Presidents week from NY. They are identifiable readily by their garb...I will limit my comments to behavior...They can be rude and act like trash...ie eating their food poolside and throwing waste in the pool. Also putting their diapered (not plastic swimmies) kids in the water despite the fact that the diapers are disintegrating in the SAME water YOU are also swimming in!!! It's disgusting and that's not GWL's fault...but if you go...they WILL be there so be forwarned!

We continue to come because we are fortunate enough to have the financial means to waste the money once a year...BUT don't ever expect to get value for your money here! It's a quick getaway for the family so I endure it. THESE ARE THE STRAIGHT FACTS. Jason is the latest representative of GWL Pocono and I wish him well, BUT I've been familiar with GWL since it's opening in 2005 and I speak from experience! I've heard it all before!!!

JFMJ Philadelphia PA 19154

• Stayed February 2014
3 Thank 3KidsAreExpensive
GWL_Management, Guest Relations Manager at Great Wolf Lodge, responded to this review, March 20, 2014
Thank you for returning to Great Wolf Lodge – Poconos! Your feedback and candor is greatly appreciated, and you bring up very valid concerns. We are always looking for areas to improve and enhance the overall guest experience, and when trends are observed on TripAdvisor, they are shared with the various teams mentioned.

Thank you for choosing Great Wolf.

Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed March 14, 2014

This was our second time staying at a GWL having previously stayed at the Niagara Falls location in Canada. Once you have been to one you know exactly what you are getting. The waterpark is second to none and the other on-site activities from the arcade to spas all make for a great family vacation. That being said it is not a cheap holiday as many of the extra activities can quickly add up in cost. If you pre-book your accommodation, with the breakfast meal, you can catch a bit of a price break. New to us this year was a magic quest game that they have in the resort which will keep the kids amused for hours on end. Again if you are not careful the cost of buying wands and extras can get very expensive. Irrespective of the costs GWL is a great place to spend the spring break with the family.

Room Tip: If you can afford the extra for a themed suit the kids will love having their own cabin.
Reviewed March 13, 2014

We checked into the hotel on a Friday and had our room ready early the children's ages wher 2 three year olds and a 4 year old they loved the water park and had a great time going up and down the slides. The snack bar in the pool area served chicken fingers French fries nothing great which was fine but the food was horrible and it was expensive. Spent the day in the park now time for dinner the restaurants looked horrible and empty the line for pizza was long so we ordered from an outside place..... The arcade was nice the bowling was cute the kid spa scoops didn't even look nice and then be asked to pay 50 for a. Manicure is insane....

I would never stay more than one night here and unless they fix the food I wouldn't eat there either

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
GWL_Management, Guest Relations Manager at Great Wolf Lodge, responded to this review, March 14, 2014
Thank you for choosing Great Wolf Lodge – Poconos and for sharing your feedback on your dining experience! We are always looking for areas of opportunity and growth, so I will share this information with our team for them to review. Improving the dining experience is a major focus for us in 2014 and you should see a difference the next time you visit.

We look forward to your family visiting again soon!

Jersey Shore, New Jersey
Reviewed March 13, 2014 via mobile

Most nastiest place I've stayed. It's dirty!! We got the suite and it was so ran down. I couldn't sleep at night because I was in back of a bowling alley. there's only 1 food restaraunt and it's so disgusting. I actually threw up after. The waterpark is so ran down. If you wanna have fun and stay in a nice room and eat decent food this isn't your place. it didn't have a comfortable feel, it felt like I was in a military camp

• Stayed January 2014
3 Thank Claudia105
GWL_Management, Guest Relations Manager at Great Wolf Lodge, responded to this review, March 31, 2014
Thank you for staying at Great Wolf Lodge – Poconos and providing us with your insight! I am sorry to hear you did not enjoy your stay and that you got sick while staying with us. I will share your feedback with our team in the Poconos for them to review to find areas of improvement.

Abilene, TX
Reviewed March 13, 2014

It's an indoor water park, so go when it's cold outside. It just makes sense right? They have a variety of different rooms to choose from. We went with the kid cabin it was great. Food can be pricey, but you can bring your own in to your room.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Glendora, New Jersey
Reviewed March 12, 2014

I went MLK weekend (Sat to Mon) with 8 others and the basic 2 bedroom room was $525 a night. That's expensive regardless of holiday weekend when you are only getting the waterpark for free. ALL other onsite activities (bowling, mini golf, buildabear, scoops salon, arcade etc) cost money. To get a manicure is $50. We paid $20+ for breakfast we didn't know would be buffet style vs. sit down. The waterpark was definitely NOT 84 degrees as advertised. We went with kids ranging from 7 to 16. I would definitely recommend for kids 7 and under, never go during a holiday weekend, and only go if you can get it for $200/night or under. Otherwise not worth it. If you do go and want a place offsite to eat, I highly recommend Tannersville Inn.

Room Tip: Get a room on the top floor so you don't have your upstairs neighbors running and jumping and ke...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank GrayIZ77
Thank you staying at Great Wolf Lodge – Poconos! I understand your concerns on room rates, but I would like to share the value of having waterpark entrance included in your stay.

For a suite with 8 guests on a one night stay, you receive 8 waterpark passes to be used on your day of arrival and day of departure. The passes are valued at $40 per person, per day. This puts a value of $640 just on the waterpark entry. When this is taken into consideration, the actual cost of your room (with waterpark entry included) saved you $115.

I apologize for the variance in waterpark temperature and will share this with our Aquatics team for them to determine if this was a one-time occurrence or a trend we need to investigate. We constantly monitor the temperature of the waterpark and when adjustments need to be made, they are done in real-time to provide a consistent experience for our guests.

Thank you for choosing Great Wolf.

Great Wolf Guest Relations
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scotrun
Pocono Manor Resort & Spa
#1 of 7 in Mount Pocono
Paradise Stream Resort
Paradise Stream Resort
#2 of 7 in Mount Pocono

Been to Great Wolf Lodge? Share your experiences!