“Glad we came”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Scotrun
Clarksville, Maryland
“Glad we came”
Reviewed January 4, 2014

Let me just start by saying that this was a great trip that had something fun for everybody. Our stay lasted 4 days and 3 nights (from 1/1/14 to 1/4/14). This place was obviously designed to be "kid heaven" but the trip was quite expensive for just a waterpark with a few other activities. Here is our all around view of the resort:

Room: We stayed in room 3108 for the majority of the trip, a Grizzly Bear suite on the third floor. This room was lovely with a gas fireplace, jacuzzi tub, a balcony, a sofa bed and 2 bedrooms, one with two queen sized beds and the other with one, and 2 full bathrooms. It was definitely spacious enough for a family of three and we were all satisfied with the amenities this room had to offer. I would definitely recommend this type of room unless you have small kids, for which I would recommend either a Wolf Den, Kid Cabin, or Kid Camp suite. However, I would have preferred a room on the fourth (top) floor as I could hear kids on the floor above us jumping and running around.

Staff: The staff was friendly and were always willing to help. Most of them really seem to enjoy working at Great Wolf Lodge. The housekeeping always made sure that our room was as clean as possible. The heat broke in our room but when they came to fix it it seemed good as new. The lifeguards seemed very focused on their jobs and made sure every family could know their kids were safe. However I wish the entire staff could be a little more responsible in making sure kids wouldn't just run around the place. We got "ding-dong ditched" once or twice. Overall though I think the management does a good job in training them.

Waterpark: This as you may have guessed is the main attraction of Great Wolf Lodge. It has things that everyone from the little ones to teens and even adults can enjoy. My favorite waterslide there was the Hydroplunge, which I did several times. I also liked Coyote Cannon, Double Barrel Drop, the lazy river, and the wave pool. We spent hours and hours here on end and never got bored. The lines weren't too long, even at peak hours. The maximum wait was about 10-15 minutes. It was also quite warm in there despite it being less than 10 degrees Fahrenheit outside.

Other Activities: My 11 year old daughter spent hours playing Magiquest, a game with "magic wands" that use infra-red beams to "cast spells", open treasure chests, "discover magical creatures", "collect runes" and "fight villains" like dragons. This was her favorite part of the trip. I found that it could be appealing for kids of all ages, and I even saw some parents playing and actually enjoying it. We also enjoyed our nightly visits to the Ten Paw Alley bowling and the Northern Lights Arcade. At the arcade some games are pretty fun but don't expect to get a lot of tickets unless you plan to spend a fortune on Paw Points and play from the minute the arcade opens to the minute it closes. The Howl in the Moon glow golf was okay too, but it wasn't worth $6 per person for only 9 holes.

Food: Most of the time we went to Bear Paw sweet shop for breakfast, the waterpark eatery for lunch, and the Loose Moose bar and grille for dinner. The seafood and pasta was quite good. They had the same things every single day and there was never any variety. Other than the Loose Moose for dinner there weren't really any good deals.

Shopping: There was a lot that we bought that will remind us of this great trip for a long time. We went to the Buckhorn Exchange where we bought wolf ears, earmuffs, shirts, and sweatshirts. Some of the souvenirs are overpriced but most of it is reasonable.

Extra Feedback: This is definitely the best Great Wolf Lodge we went to so far. We're definitely glad we took this trip and can't wait to come back to another Great Wolf Lodge hopefully later this year!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank WitD
GWL_Management, Guest Relations Manager at Great Wolf Lodge, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
I am very happy your family enjoyed their time at Great Wolf Lodge – Poconos! We strive to provide an experience that creates a family tradition for years to come.

Regarding your room location, when making your reservation, you do have the ability to request where your room is located. While the request is not guaranteed, our Guest Services team will do their best to accommodate you when they are prepping for your arrival.

I do have one recommendation for your next trip. To save 30% or more, consider purchasing a Paw Pass, Pup Pass, or Wolf Pass. These passes combine various amenities and activities together at a discounted price. It is a great way to save money on all the activities outside the waterpark!

We cannot wait to host your family again!

Great Wolf Guest Relations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (558)
  • Turkish first
Somerset, New Jersey
Reviewed January 2, 2014

when you make reservations for a room, you can ask for the wolf den room, which is a small part of the room that includes 3-D décor, bunk beds, and a personal TV. this is good to occupy kids, and, or their friends. the water park, is a good feature because it is fun for all ages, personally, I had fun on some of the family rides, that go in and out of the building. this water park keeps kids occupied for hours on end, however, as other reviewers tend to say, a stay here can be quite expensive!

Room Tip: keep in mind who you are traveling with. if you are staying with a child, or a big family, I recomme...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank jenna d
Billerica, Massachusetts
Reviewed December 30, 2013

My overall impression is that the Great Wolf Lodge needs more staff to help with the small things-- to keep the dishwashers running, the napkin dispensers full, the food areas clean and buffet stocked. Overall we had a good time and these small things wouldn't be an issue however our nightly rates were very high and for the rates we paid I expected much more.

We stayed at the Great Wolf Lodge for two nights after Christmas. We stayed on the first floor - and as other reviewers mentioned I did think the ceiling was going to cave it from the people above us. The room was nice with two beds a small separate sitting area with a pullout couch. The lobby, our room, and hallways were clean.

My kids enjoyed the water park and loved the magic quest-which they better since the wands and game came to over $100!

We were disappointed in the restaurants. We had to wait 30 minutes to be seated for the breakfast buffet. Once seated and in the long line for the buffet we found many trays empty and the buffet bar itself was filthy. The maple syrup bowl was empty, there wasn't enough silverware for our table, every time I reached for a napkin-regardless of which area of the resort I was in-the napkin holders were empty.

I may return to a Great Wolf Lodge since the kids enjoyed it so much but next time it will definitely be on a Groupon!

1 Thank KAC_23
GWL_Management, Guest Relations Manager at Great Wolf Lodge, responded to this review, December 31, 2013
Thank you so much for visiting Great Wolf Lodge - Poconos! I am glad that you were satisfied with our level of cleanliness at the lodge as we pride ourselves at maintaining high standards for our Housekeeping Team. Did you happen to have a chance to look at any of our add-on packages? We offer several add-on packages that include MagiQuest and other items at a discounted price to enhance your stay. Make sure the kids hold onto their wands as they retain their play history and can be used for a return visit. When you return all you will have to do is have the wand re-activated and that activation will last the duration of your stay!
We do appreciate the feedback on the Loose Moose Cottage Buffet and will pass it along to our Food & Beverage Team. The holidays are always a busy time at our resort. With that said, our expectation is that we provide great service. I will send your feedback to our F&B team so they too are aware of your concerns.
We look forward to seeing you and your family back again very soon!
New York City, New York
Reviewed December 30, 2013

My kids (7 and 9) absolutely love this place. We just stayed (12/28) and had another enjoyable time. The place was packed as is often the case but the kids still loved it. The waterpark is fun but the lines for the big slides can be very long at peak hrs. The food is ok. For breakfast the buffet is fine but i would suggest just going with the pizza or takeout from the snack bar for dinner if you dont plan to leave the resort. The dinner in the restaurant is over priced and pretty bad. My kids love the Magic Quest game which is a fun game for them to enjoy in the evening (as an alternative to the arcade) and can tire them/you out with all the walking that is required.

Room Tip: i would suggest asking for a room closer to the elevator (on the main floor if possible). the hallw...
1 Thank jg2203
I am very happy to hear that you and your family were able to enjoy the resort during a busy time. If you want to avoid lines in the waterpark, try visiting towards the end of the evening when families with younger children will be winding down for the night. Around 6:30pm to 9pm, you should see a noticeable difference in the number of guests in the waterpark.
Thank you for your feedback for the Loose Moose Cottage Buffet. I will share your feedback with our Food & Beverage Team.
We hope to see you again soon!
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed December 30, 2013 via mobile

At over $650 for one night for my son and myself (just for the room!), this was an expensive but fun way to burn off some Christmas vacation energy. Cute log cabin feel, clean enough. Advice to management: more training for all staff. The food service staff looked overwhelmed and stressed out. The life guards looked like they would rather be in prison than watching the kids. And most importantly, you need some kind of security system to ensure kids can't wonder off or be taken by someone. There's got to be a way to use these chips in the armbands for safety and not just room charging. It's very easy to lose sight of your kids in this maze, and I've encountered multiple slightly panicked parents (including myself) searching high and low for our kids. While we "assume" there somewhere in the park, some security would be a great stress reducer while we look.

Stayed December 2013
It is always great to know that our guests have a fun time, especially during the holidays! Now that you have stayed with us, make sure you watch your email for upcoming promotions and events at the lodge.
Security in our waterpark and our lodge as a whole is of utmost importance. That is the reason we require that all guests who enter the waterpark have wristbands, as they designate that only registered guests are allowed to access the park. If our staff sees a guest in the waterpark without a wristband, they respond immediately. Regardless, I will take this concern and discuss it with the team. We appreciate your time and look forward to your next visit. Thank you for choosing Great Wolf Lodge.
Smithtown, New York
Reviewed December 29, 2013

Upon checking in front desk said our wait for bellman will be an hour and a half. They said try to find a cart. Finally got the kids and family to the room. The front desk did not explain resort to us. We tried to figure out where to eat. Mostly take out fast food. Ending up eating at buffet it was ok. Got back to room and cart was still at the room. called front desk and said sir well you need to bring it back to front desk we dont staff for that. i refused said i can live with it in the hallway. told girl this is the type of service you get when you pay over 600 a night. Went to watermark after dinner think its best time to go. When i got back they did collect the cart. Hope the rest of my stay gets better.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
I am very sorry that your experience with Great Wolf Lodge has not met your expectations. This is not customary for us and is definitely an area for improvement, for which I thank you for bringing to your attention. The Great Wolf Experience for our guests is of paramount importance and each guest should feel welcomed, appreciated and excited to be staying at our resort.
For future visits, you are welcome to bring whatever food and drinks you wish to your room as each suite is equipped with a microwave and mini-fridge. This allows our guests to bring comfort foods from home as well as provide children with snacks when needed.
Thank you for choosing Great Wolf Lodge.
Brooklyn, New York, United States
Reviewed December 29, 2013 via mobile

My family and I came to Great Wolf Lodge in Scotrun PA and stayed from the dates of 12/21/13 - 12/23/13. This was during the time of Christmas Breakfast or New York and it was a Saturday - Monday, so the crowds were well expected. I am not going to penalize this place for the large amount of people because it is understandable and was tolerable. Our room was ready, even though we arrived 2 hours before the required check-in time and it was very clean and had a nice patio where we stored some of our food. We got the family suite, which consisted of two floors. Unfortunately, there was only one shower in one of the two bathrooms which caused havoc on the first floor and a long waiting time to get clean. The waterpark here was very clean and the lifeguards were extremely attentive, which surprised me. The waterpark is for any age range, but does not contain enough activities to keep a family busy for an entire day. The water, also, was very cool and should have been warmer. I was glad that they had a Starbucks on the grand floor, which was very helpful for me in the morning haha :) We also played MagiQuest which was very fun and took up a lot of our time. I am very glad my family stayed here for part of Winter Breaka nod am looking forward to coming back again someday.

• Stayed December 2013
I am very happy to see that you had a great stay with us! Our Housekeeping Team works very hard to get all of our rooms cleaned and ready for guests that are checking in and it is always great to hear that they were able to do so in such a timely fashion. It allows our guests to seamlessly transition from everyday life into vacation mode and start enjoying the precious time you have together.
The Loft Fireplace Suite can provide a really unique stay experience, but it can get hectic when it's time for everyone to shower for the day. For your next stay, I would recommend looking into reserving a Grizzly Bear Suite that features two full bathrooms, as opposed to the one and a half bathrooms of the Loft Fireplace Suite.
Our lifeguards go through rigorous and ongoing training year round and are audited several times. We do this so that our guests know that their families are safe. Our waterpark should be a constant 84 degrees, regardless of the time of year, so I do thank you for bringing this to our attention and will pass it along to our Aquatics Team. They can then determine if this was a one-time occurrence or a trend that needs to be addressed.
Make sure that you remember to bring their wands back for your next visit as they store the progress and point accumulation that can be used the next time the kids go to play!
We hope to see your family again soon!
Great Wolf Guest Relations
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scotrun
Pocono Manor Resort & Spa
Mount Airy Casino Resort
Mount Airy Casino Resort
#1 of 7 in Mount Pocono
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,264 reviews

Been to Great Wolf Lodge? Share your experiences!