“Very nice overnight get away”
Review of Great Wolf Lodge

Great Wolf Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Scotrun
Reviewed September 16, 2013

My daughter recieved a night at great wolf from a family member for her birthday. I have looked into it in the past, but thought it was alittle pricey..especially since we only live 20 minutes away. It would be nice to offer day passes for the locals.All in all, the kids (ages almost 3 and 5) really enjoyed themselves. Alot in the waterpark for even the littler ones.The room and lodge itself was very clean. We ended up leaving for dinner and brought our own breakfast bc i was told food was expensive. There really isn't a sit down restaurant where you can order off of a menu..there is a buffet and pizza take out. I would go back, and its a great gift idea for a child if you have the loot to do so.

• Stayed: September 2013
There are newer reviews for Great Wolf Lodge

Reviewed September 9, 2013

I will start out by saying that this was our third visit to this Great Wolf Lodge because my 6 & 9 year old boys love it there. Kids are oblivious to many things that adults are not.

First the bad: Each time we have gone, I have enjoyed it a little bit less than the time before because of the type of clientele that this place attracts. Each time we have gone, approx 6-9 months apart, we find more and more rude, pushy, trashy people there. Frankly, it gets harder and harder to take. Many people set their children loose to run around the hotel and water park without any supervision. These kids will push in front of your kids and you in restaurants and the water park, run the hotel halls late at night and basically make it very hard for you to have a good time. I can't tell you the number of times I have had to step in front of one of my kids to avoid some kid(s) from running into them full on. And if they do run into you, you will never hear sorry.

The good: We always find the hotel and room to be clean, exactly what you see in the pictures on the website is what you get. This particular trip, we had a problem with both our sliding glass door not locking and only 1 drawer out of 4 in the bureau actually opening. We put in a service request at the front desk the first day but no one ever came to fix it. We were on vacation and didn't feel like haunting them to get them to repair it. We put a chair under the door handle and left our clothes in the suitcase. My kids are old enough that the sliding door not locking was ok but if you have younger children I would certainly verify that it locks when you check in. Also, we were on a higher floor, if we were ground floor obviously I would have asked for immediate repair or room change.

We find the buffet dinner to be fine, a bit pricey but not bad at all, my kids ask to go there to get their own typical kids type of food, pizza, nuggets, etc. My husband and I are both vegetarians and we always find plenty to eat. I don't know why so many people knock the buffet, the food is exactly what you would expect at a buffet and it is fresh and plentiful. If you want a gourmet meal, you shouldn't go to a dinner buffet. The staff is always pleasant.

Starbucks is good, and the Sprinkles ice cream parlor/convenience store is good for picking up a quick breakfast or snack.

As many have noted, you can easily drive a short distance and find many food options so you do not have to eat here if you don't want to. There is also a ShopRite supermarket a few miles away which is good for picking up snacks for the room. The in-house pizza option is great after a long day at the water park and we find it tasty and not badly priced.

Water Park: The water park is clean and well supervised by lifeguards. The young kids will love their own little play area that includes little water slides, and the bigger kids will love the large water slides. As an adult, you must be prepared to watch your kids closely if they aren't the obnoxious pushy type that populate this place because otherwise, you kids won't make it to the front of any line without having unattended brats cutting in front of them. We always walk our 6 year old to the front of the lines so that he gets a chance to get on a ride. We also have to tell our boys that no one is allowed to push in front of them, etc. You will find yourself having to reprimand other people's children. Sad but true.

If you visit during the summer months, the outside pool area is a nice break from the chaos of the inside water park. Expect people to go early and put their towels on chairs, never to return.

The Crossings Outlet is just down the road and is a nice break from the hotel if shopping is your thing. If you like candles, the House of Candles is a nice, close, excursion, the staff is really pleasant and welcoming and they have a cute little area in back of the shop with baby animals.

Will we go back? Probably because the kids like it but I really want to find an equivalent type of experience with a better type of guest. Last tip: we always go weekdays, I can't even imagine what a weekend here would be like with the combination of the rude guests and the crowds.

Room Tip: We find that the higher levels floors have less noise and you won't have kids jumping overhead a...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank vtsi04
Reviewed September 8, 2013

if u come during busy season witch is the winter time in PA or ny or nj expect it to be full to capacity and that's not a bad thing because the place is huge and accommodating the rooms r amazing but u will have to choose from different variety and diff themes they r all great clean and filled with amazing smelling soap and shampoo I know sounds crazy but its a warm inviting vanilla just makes u wanna curl up after a long day in the water park rent a movie turn on the fireplace and chill aaaahhhhhh those yummy winter nights all cozy there is a spa that is amazing and the amount of things they have for kids and adults r literally so well done im sincerely impressed the sweets house is sooo yummmm from fudge to chocolate to ice cream ices fresh bakery items its so delicious and of course for the adults they have a bar so hile ur kids r running around having a great time u can grab a drink and chill its really really a ton of fun

Room Tip: depending on how many kids and especially their ages discuss with a rep and they will guide you to t...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 8, 2013

Earlier this summer my family and I after many requests from our 2 children (11 and 14 years old) decided to spend 2 nights at GWL. The "Mini vacation" with room and food costs us approximately $800. We were actually able to get a 15% discount using our triple A membership.

Overall based on the reviews and feedback from friends, we got what we expected. A modest if somewhat overpriced room and access to the water park. I would suggest eating offsite for dinner and GWL's breakfast buffet in the morning (not bad for the price).

Our children really enjoyed the 2 days that we were there and we did as well. By the way, 2 nights is all you need.

The important thing to remember is you are going for the kids and the adults needs and comforts are secondary. If you go there with that in mind, everyone should have a good time.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank FamilyTravellers882
Reviewed September 6, 2013 via mobile

This is my second time visiting GWL and I am not sure why I came back. My first review was in Feb. This time check in was fast and went very smoothly. Room was ready things were great. Room was on the fourth floor which I requested. However, the elevators are painfully slow and often crowded. Waterpark is the same. Cleaner than last time. Kids were just as obnoxious. What I find unreal is the fact you can have beers in the pool when you are "watching" your kids. Safe? Not so much. How about watching your kids and get off the ipad. Seriously, does anyone watch or care about their kids? My children are five and know their manners. They don't push, they don't cut the line, they don't eat in the pool and they say excuse me. Nobody says anything to the kids who are pushing others around. It's just not acceptable. Food is ok, expensive, but ok. Starbucks is always great. Room was spotless and perfect to sleep. I told my mother to remind me again why I dislike the place so much so I don't spend $340 to get pushed around by 10 year olds again next year. For some reason, I don't think I will really forget. Just disappointing...

• Stayed: September 2013
4  Thank alp
Reviewed September 4, 2013

A great place for a little get away. There isn't too much to do off property that's close by so 2 nights is really all you need. The food is on the expensive side but we found a diner right down the road for an awesome breakfast.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Spent one night there, chaos, noisy, kids running everywhere. Our ten year old girls had a blast. The rooms are definately dark. Bathroom in room dark and depressing. Food was awful at the dinner buffet, maybe a little better at breakfast buffet. Kids loved magiquest, we had to go up and down stairs about thirty times in the two hours we played it. The mini golf was cute, but very quick. Water park a lot cleaner than you would expect. The employees were all very nice. Room was nice and roomy, we had a kid camp suite with much loved bunk beds. Happy to have the fridge, saved quite a bit of money keeping my own beer and snacks in there. Wish we had brought a picnic lunch to eat by the pool, spent a lot for a few burgers and fries, a lot. Over all a good stay. Oh, and if you do not have a balcony there is no place to dry a bathing suit. Bring your own hangers to hang them in bathroom.

Room Tip: A balcony is nice.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank jenzoj
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scotrun
Pocono Manor Resort & Spa
#1 of 7 in Mount Pocono
Split Rock Resort
Split Rock Resort
#2 of 3 in Lake Harmony

Been to Great Wolf Lodge? Share your experiences!