“Nice overnight getaway”
Review of Great Wolf Lodge

Great Wolf Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Scotrun
Reviewed July 6, 2013

My daughter has been begging for a trip to this Great Wolf property after staying at the one in Sandusky, Ohio last summer. This one is much closer to home for us and we able to take advantage of a great rate because Great Wolf offers it to residents of nearby counties in PA and NJ on certain dates. (Hint: join GWL's e-mail list.)
We checked in around dinner-time on a weeknight and it was very efficient. The room key is imbedded in wristband you use to enter the waterpark. All you have to do is swing it by the door knob and it lets you in. Very clever because you don't have to worry about carrying your key with you when you leave the room.
Room was clean and the beds were very comfortable. Since we were taking advantage of a deal, we got the room with the double-queen beds with a pull-out couch. Only bad parts were that some of the caulk in the bathroom was loose and the balcony had bird droppings in the corner.
The water park, of course, was the highlight and we were able to spend a few hours on the check-in day, and all day on Day 2. As guests we were allowed to stay the whole day after check-out. The check-out was done automatically at 11 a.m., so I didn't have to leave the park to do that. Just have the car packed before going to the park, or you can have the concierge watch your bags for a tip. For your clothing after swimming, simply rent a locker for $20 (you will get $10 back when you turn in the key)
The water park staff kept the lines on the slides moving, and wait times weren't too long when things go busy. There was hardly a wait on the two smaller slides that you entered from the second story.
About the only criticism we had was the wave pool's concrete bottom was rather rough.
We didn't partake in the other things such as the spa and the kids' games as we were on a budget. However, my 12-year-old was more than satisfied with just the water park.
We stayed away from the on-site restaurants and took advantage of the mini-fridge in the room.

Room Tip: If you're on a budget, take advantage of the mini-fridge and have at least one meal in the room.
2  Thank pencilneck11

Reviewed July 2, 2013

We only went to this resort because we had a group rate. In my opinion the rates are very expensive. Once you enter the hotel youre spending even more money because they have some magic quest which you have to buy because besides the water park and the arcade thats the only other entertainment. The arcade is very nice and big but the price are ridiculous! My son spent $30 and received a tiny ball. The water park is nice but the chlorine smell stays with you for days plus if you dont get there once they open you have zero chance of getting a seat. We only had breakfast and it was ok. We also had a fire alarm go off at 8 am and it took forever to shut off. Overall the rooms were nice and the hotel is nice but its a lot of money and not enough free entertainment.

1  Thank lilmartha59
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Great place to visit for family fun, we went with with our 2 kids aged 6 and 2 and both of them had a blast. Very good rooms, clean water park and other fun activities for kids like magic quest, kids bowling, arcade and much more.

Reviewed July 1, 2013

Stayed for 2 nights from 6/26/2013 to 6/28/2013, this was our third stay here and this is the only GWL we have stayed at.

We were 6 people staying in a Wolf Den Suite, and honestly we never really felt crowded or cramped. Our next stay we will not be booking one of these special suites, as my son at 15 is just too big for the beds, and my daughter felt the wolf den was too hot. This leads the problem with the room. Either the room was too hot or too cold, it cound not stay comfortable as the AC would run, then when the temperature was hit it would shut off completely, fan and all. This constant cycling of the fan would wake us up, and led to an extremely dry room, that actualy caused a bloody nose. One of the chairs on the balcony was also broken, and even though we alerted the front desk to this, it was never replaced.

So that covers the "bad", now for the good. I had done online check in, and even with adding to more to our reservation, my wife had our bands and info before I could even park the car. The room was big enough for the six of us, and I did bring an air bed so none of the four kids had to share a bed, and it fit fine. We ended up buying the Paw pass for my daughter and her friend and it is actually a good value as they got Magiquest, a build a bear and outfit, candy cup, wolf ears, bowling, arcade tokens and more. The water park was as fun as ever and the safety and attentiveness of the life guards is great. It did get a little crowded on friday as I noticed a day camp was bused in, and when they left there was a noticable difference in the lines.

We did not eat at the loose Moose Cottage/Camp Critter bar and Grill, but not for a lack of trying. Breakfast is served until 11:00 AM and even though we arrived prior to 11:00 AM, there must be an earlier cutoff as they would not seat us, so perhaps try to get there before 10:30 AM. We ate about 4 miles away at a Perkins Restaurant, but the diner down the street is also a good option. To be honest being turned away for breakfast did sour me a bit at the time, so we had dinner one night at the Red Lobster down the street, instead of in the hotel. If interested there a plenty of places to eat within a few miles and there is something for everyone witihin just a few minutes drive. We did eat lunch one day in the water park and the food from the Spirit Island Snack Shop, was fine. We also bought drinks from Grizzly Robs Bar, with great service and no waiting. Table saving is in epidemic in the water park, but there always seemed to be tables over by the bar, so we just brought our food across the park and sat there to eat. Our first night we had pizza from Hungry as a Wolf, and although by no means was it the best pizza we ever had, it was good enough, and we ate all of what we ordered. As for of the pricing for the food we had, I feel it was fairly priced. As I told our friends whom we happened to run into, nothing is free but I don't feel taken advantage of.

We will most likely stay here again, but not in any of the cabin/den suites. My kids have pretty much outgrown the beds in these suites, and that is fine with me as we can save a little money on the room. I would suggest this hotel to anyone, and your kids will love it.

Room Tip: Sign up for emails and you can score a better rate.
3  Thank Darren S
Reviewed July 1, 2013

love this place! but be preparedfor byo...they have very limited kid friendly food (pretty much just pizza) and not alot of choices in the area, except for their slightly high end (price) restaurant.
Otherwise, we love this place! The waterpark is the best, the rooms are great and always spotless, the staff is friendly, trained to be observant, and helpful. Just one suggestion to the park, lower the a/c in the space between the waterpark exit and the elevators...its a shock to the body to come from the the balmy 80degrees to the frigid hallways (which are nice if youre not wet, but who's not wet coming from the waterpark?) otherwise, bring a robe to coverup after you leave the waterpark.

Reviewed July 1, 2013

We have been going to Great Wolf since 2007. This is our 4th or 5th visit. My kids LOVE this place!

What's GREAT!
There are tons of activities for the entire family. My teenager immediately made friends and hung out with other kids his age. They did magic quest (or the older variation) and chatted in the lobby until well past midnight. My 6 & 8 year old LOVED the water park and the arcarde. My hubby enjoyed the big roller coaster water rides and the arcade and I disappeared to the outlet mall down the street.

We always get the Majectic Bear suite so there was plenty of room to hang out, eat and relax. Our room had a double balcony and a private master bed room with a king size bed. Bliss our housekeeper was fabulous and a big help with extra towels, toilet paper and shampoo. Check in was fast and friendly. We got there before our room was ready and they sent a text to let us know our room number.

The arcade was REALLY fun! My kids won LOTS of prizes (including a Luigi backpack AND a Yoshi backpack). Each of these was won on the first try in the claw game!

What could use work:
When we first started going to the lodge everything was in great condition. Now that the property has a few years on it, things are starting to fray. The dust ruffle on the bed had a 2 foot long rip. Some of the chairs on the balcony were ratty and falling apart. The stopper in our bathroom sink was not working property and the sink kept filling with water. Carpets in the hallway were stained and always seemed to have bits or paper and other debris.

Food GWL is expensive but we knew that going on. The good news is that each room has a microwave and fridge so we brought food and stocked up at the Weiss market down the hill. I think I spend a grand total of maybe $30 on food onsite. Some of the adults working in at the canteen in the water park were very nasty (unfriendly/cold/dismissive). The teenagers were all GREAT!

All in all I still recommend Great Wolf. We will be back!

Room Tip: Choose a high floor! Otherwise there will be kids jumping/running over your head. Check in online...
3  Thank Klwoodsy
Reviewed June 29, 2013

We had a wonderful stay at Great Wolf Lodge for Spring Break. This was our first visit to the Scotrun, PA location, we have stayed at the Traverse City, MI, and Kansas City locations in the past, and my children really enjoyed this stay. The waterpark had some unique aspects the other parks did not and we really enjoyed the surrounding area. The room was clean and spacious. The stay is a bit pricey, but that is to be expected at every Great Wolf Hotel. All in all it's worth if for family fun that includes something for everyone.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank melmom04
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scotrun
Pocono Manor Resort & Spa
#2 of 7 in Mount Pocono
Mount Airy Casino Resort
Mount Airy Casino Resort
#1 of 7 in Mount Pocono

Been to Great Wolf Lodge? Share your experiences!