“Line mismanagement killed this visit” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Great Wolf Lodge

Great Wolf Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Scotrun
Maple Glen, Pennsylvania, United States
“Line mismanagement killed this visit”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2013

We've been going here off and on since at least 2008. Our last visit prior to this was in December and I was very happy to finally get to see all of the slides in the top section completed. The downside to December was that we went the week between Christmas and New Years and it was fairly crowded. I was looking forward to this week's visit thinking the crowd would be less and the lines would be shorter. I was half right. The crowd was less but the lines were just as long.

The slide staff in December worked really well to keep up with the volume. On the Alberta Falls and Coyote Canyon they set people up in each of the two sides at the top of the slide and really kept things moving. This time they wouldn't even let you past the chain until they saw the previous riders come out below. At one point on Alberta Falls they were only letting one slide go at a time. I was only allowed to use a second tube after my son asked the attendant if he could race me.

Overall we've always liked coming here. The rooms are always clean as well as the park area. There always seems to be something new to try. I was a little worried a few years back as parts of the park seemed to be deteriorating and am glad to see they've gotten better at the upkeep. I'm sure we'll go again - I just hope they figure out the line management problem they have.

• 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (546)
  • Turkish first
Pottsville, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2013 via mobile

This was our third time here and will go back in the future. The location is good for us because its only an hour from home. We booked a family suite during a discount time and ended up with a 4th floor room. We arrived at 1pm and were notified around 2pm by text that our room was ready. The room was clean and comfy. We went to the water park right away. The temp of the air and water seemed a bit cooler than previous trips but wasn't uncomfortable. I was even fortunate to witness a practice rescue of their child dummy "Timmy". Glad to see them testing the life guards. We also played Magiquest, but sadly only for one day because the game was down the next day. Mini golf was fun, but could have used a few more holes. Arcade was a lot more expensive then last time, we won't be doing that again. We packed our our food and water and snacks to save on cost. Activities are great and we always make a stop at their Club Cub. We even got to meet Violet this time for the bedtime story. We also always need to watch the show in the Lobby but I wish they would update the poor robots. Half of them weren't working properly. Checkout was express and super easy. This lodge always is busy and noisy, but was quiet during hibernation time. Staff was nice and helpful.

• Stayed April 2013
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2013

I stayed at the great wolf lodge for 1 night. My father had a discount from his job and decided to treat me and my daughter to the place. This was my first time going. We stayed a weekday night in March 2013. It was very cold outside and snowing but inside the lodge it was cozy. Check-in for the room is after 4 pm but you can start using the water park by 1 pm. When we came in at 1 pm our room was ready so we were able to check in early! That was awesome. The room is beautiful! I love all of the decor in the lodge. The beds were super comfy. We brought our own water and a good thing we did because the water bottles the lodge sets out on the counter for you in the room costs about 5 dollars a bottle. Do not touch them! I think this is strictly a family resort. There are kids everywhere playing the magi quest game or the story explorers. The park is great and my daughter who is 3 years old was able to get on all of the little slides without a life jacket since the water is not very deep in that area. There are a bunch of balls and basketball hoops. The bucket that drops water on you is great. When you hear the sound that the bucket is going to empty, people run to the spot where the water will dump to get super wet. Although I do LOVE this place I do have to say this place is super expensive! One night will run in the near 300's but you do get two days access to the park. We did not do the magi quest or story explorers since my daughter was only interested in the park but those things will cost you a good chunk of money. The cub club has shirts and stuff you can do but that will cost you money as well. The cub club does have free coloring pages for little ones and books to read. They have a bowling alley but we didn't do that. I think it is about 5 a person playing. They have an adult spa and a kids spa. The arcade is cool and addicting but the majority of the games are 4-8 paws (1 paw is .25 cents) so it can get pretty pricey. They have character meetings throughout the day and you can take pictures and sometimes they even give the kids a trading card with the character's info. My daughter went crazy! They do a tree show and at 8 pm they read a story to the kids. It gets crowded so you might want to get there early to get a spot. Food is expensive here. We refused to pay for the buffet breakfast which was about 15 + a person so we went downstairs to the bakery they have. The line was very long and they ran out of donuts by the time we got there. Everyone comes here to eat breakfast since it is next to the pools entrance. We got a sausage egg and cheese on a croissant for 3.95 plus tax WITHOUT the coffee. You have to buy it separate. They do have a Starbucks for good coffee! They have a pizza place but we didn't eat there so I have no clue how it is. The food in the park is about average price for a water park and it is decent in taste. All in all this place is wonderful and lots of fun for kids of all ages but be prepared to spend a lot of extra money. I will definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: There is activity for kids on every floor so there can be a lot of noise but there are quiet hours a...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Chrissy0621
EHT
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2013

We arrived to find a busy lobby with a decent line to check in. There were children everywhere and while that was to be expected I was hoping there would be some kind of parental control, however it seems some parents think that everyone else will watch their children and so children run wild throughout the Lodge. All in all the wait to check in was not terrible and the check in process was quick and easy. Our room was not ready so they advised us they would text us and make us aware when it was ready. My husband and I were traveling with our best friends and their 3 year old and 5 month old. We all received our arm bands and were told we were able to use the water park from this point forward. My husband and I placed a credit card on our arm band and we didn't need to carry cash around during our stay- I really liked this feature and as avid Disney travelers I hope they catch on soon to this one.

We decided we were hungry and we headed to grab a bite to eat. The sitting area outside of Pizza hut was crazy- filled with people and their belongings, probably all waiting for rooms as well. We went to get a pizza from the Wolf Lodge pizza place however we were advised it would be a 30 minute wait. This normally wouldn't phase me, but we were hungry and so we opted for Pizza Hut instead. Thankfully I received a text that our room was ready and so my girlfriend and I took the kids to our room while our husbands got us Pizza Hut. Prices for Pizza Hut, the Wolf Lodge Pizza Place, and Starbucks are all fairly priced. I did not note any obscene price gouging and our food from Pizza Hut and Starbucks was the same quality as those places outside of the Lodge.

We decided to head to the water park next. Everyone changed in our room and we headed over to find it crazy busy and not really anywhere to sit with a stroller and 5 month old as there seemed to be towels and belongings everywhere. I found a table with a single pair of flip flops under it and moved in there. The water park is very nice. The smell of chlorine is strong so those with breathing issues should avoid this place all together. There are lifeguards watching everywhere and I felt as though we were all safe. Lines were honestly not too bad and the waits for the very popular attractions moved quickly. There are weight limits for the tubes and riders on certain rides so if this may be an issue for you or your party you should read up on the rules. Certain rides are for certain ages and we all were able to enjoy ourselves. I found the water park very clean with people picking up and cleaning up during the day to keep it so. Grizzly Robs inside the water park serves alcohol and its typical prices - a little pricy but not obscene and what you would expect from a travel business.

After the water park we found our friends rooms were still not ready and it was after 4pm the expected check in time. My friend called and was told sometimes they can run a little late and check ins just begin at 4pm so it should be ready shortly. We all showered and cleaned up for dinner in our room. It was after 5pm and their room still wasn't ready when my friend called again. The confusion then began. The lady on the phone thought they weren't checking in till tomorrow- however they already checked in at the front desk and everyone was wearing their arm bands. After waiting for 30 minutes to sort it out they realized they made some kind of error and said they would all need new arm bands and they would bring them to our room for them.

After sorting out the room debacle our friends were placed in a room all the way on the other side of the Lodge. But, they finally had a room and we all decided to go out to eat dinner. We went to a near by LoneStar Steakhouse where we were seated right away and had a decent meal with very slow service.

We returned to the Lodge for bed. After traveling all day and running around the water park we were very ready for bed. There are signs posted in your room that there is "Hibernation Time" from 11pm- 7am. Well, plan on only sleeping that allotted time frame or request a top floor room and hope the people in your hallway have the common decency to be quiet when it gets late. We were in room 1011 and we are convinced the people in the room above us were playing hop scotch right up until the 11pm mark. At that mark it was quiet until 7am when it started all over (and lasted until 11pm that night) again. The people in the hallway are loud and obnoxious and at 7am I was over it all. After one of the worst nights of sleep I have ever had I just wanted a nap mid afternoon- so did the 5 month old and 3 year old in our party- except even at their room (which bordered the bowling alley) there was no nap to be had.

That next morning our friends realized they were given free breakfast vouchers- or at least they thought they were intended for our party- as the name was wrong on them. We took them, told them the name on the voucher and had free breakfast. I wouldn't pay the 21.99$ per adult for breakfast honestly- but as a free breakfast goes it was not bad.

So we went and played glow in the dark mini golf and bowled. Don't expect those to be included in your stay -both cost 5 dollars per person to play. Thats bananas to me for the price you pay for the room the pathetic golf course which we did have fun on -but shouldn't have had to pay 5$ extra for and the tiny bowling game should be included in your stay.

That night we went and got pizza from a pizza place right out front of Great Wolf and it was decent and fairly priced. We attempted to sleep again- but had to wait until 11pm for everything to settle. Our friends were not as lucky- there were truck deliveries outside their doors involving the constant beeping and loud noises which kept their 5 month old and 3 year old awake until it stopped at 11pm. They complained when it persisted and were eventually given a later check out time for their troubles. Which is good because the trucks started again for them at 630am- which sent my friend over the edge and she went and sought out a manager to complain about it- eventually receiving 25% off their night.

All in all we probably wont return anytime soon. Don't plan on resting AT ALL and watch out for utter confusion and disarray.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the top level at the end of the hall.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Kasey A
Yonkers, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2013

I am not much of an indoor water park person but I went with my daughter's girlscouts troop for one night. The hotel staff was very helpful, the room was nice, and clean. The decoration is consistent with the whole wolf lodge theme. We ate buffet style breakfast and our waitress was excellent and extremely friendly and helpful. The staff is very helpful, I was seating in the main lobby looking at my text messages and one of the staff members came up to me and turned on a lamp next to me so that "I could see better." Being from NYC I was taken back, LOL! very nice and the kids seemed to like it too!

Schuylkill Haven, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013

This was our 2nd trip. From 4/19 -4/21. The first trip in January was amazing.. this time it was just frustrating.

Stay away from this place in the spring! I will never, EVER go back until the dead of winter - if we go back at all. It was soooo overwhelmingly crowded.. I'm surprised it wasn't over capacity. There's no way that it should have even been legal to have so many people in there at once. If there had been a fire, we all would've been crushed by stampeeding people. I uploaded pictures - the entire building and park was packed the entire time.

No matter where you went, elevators, stairs, the entire water park, the hallways - every square inch of this place was packed full of people waiting, pushing, shoving, idiot kids running at full speed. My 3 year old got knocked down the steps by some 12 year olds running at full speed down the steps for the water park. The steps were carpeted so she didn't break anything, just got rug burn all over her albows and chin. No matter where you were at in the water park, there were people within 6 inches of you. There was no room to swim or even move... so all anyone could do is just get in the water and sit there. the lines were super long - nobody watched their kids as usual.. We had kids jumping in the hot tub right on top of us again and kicking us in the wave pool. The only place you could go without getting hit or bumping in to someone was by where they had the little kiddie slides. There were no open tables or chairs and lockers cost $20 - so if you come between March - October - be prepared to be over run and to keep all your stuff in your room.
Also, we had NO towels the entire weekend. Our room only had 2 washcloths and 2 hand towls at the wet bar and 4 hand towels in the bathroom. 4 calls to the front desk and still NO TOWELS! I had to go down and swipe some from the water park and take them back when we got showers.
Other than that, the room was great. We had 1st floor family room - 2 queen beds with a little living area with a pull out couch. It was dreadfully loud because we were right by the side entrance doors so allllll night long we were woke up by someone above us slamming the door.

This time we saved a ton of money by bringing all our own food, but somehow the kids and hubby ended up with exploding diarrhea and vomiting again. I think it has something to do with the germs in the water park because they're all sick like we were after the first trip.
It's tough because when there isn't a ton pf people, its really fun.. but this time it was way too packed to even enjoy it. You couldn't even play magic quest.. there were lines just to point your wand at the stuff in the hallways - the regular treasure chests and pictures on the walls.. it was insane!
If you're going.. January is the best time to go.

Room Tip: Stay away from the end rooms - go for middle top floor.
Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2013

My husband and I brought our 7 year old son for a 2 night stay in April. it was Massachusetts spring break and I would guess most guests were from MA. The lodge is very well laid out and overall very well kept. Our room was excellent. We opted for the family suite which i think is the cheapest option. it had 2 full beds (maybe queens?) and a pull out couch. we were on the first floor room 1086 which I liked a lot. It was a quick walk to the water park but far enough not to be loud. The room was much bigger than a typical hotel room. We had a patio with a large grassy area. The room was very clean and the beds were extra comfy. it was nice to have a fridge and microwave.
Our first stop was to create a wand. My son had been waiting for months to do this and I was in sticker shock. $20 for the wand, $15 for the topper, plus having to pay for the quest. That was robbery! It cost us $50 when all was said and done and the wand is really cheap plastic. I was hoping it would be more of a special event but the 2 employees were less than enthused. It was like they were bored to death. i asked a few basic questions (which every parent probably asks!) and their unenthused monotone response was almost comical. Anyways...wand in hand we headed to quest. my son loved it. I think it might be time for an update because most of the sensors were very finicky. Lots of frustrated kids because their wands were always working. We spent probably 4 hours over 2 nights playing this. My husband was wearing a New England Patriots T shirt and when walking down the hall the glow golf employee looked at his shirt and said "New england....BOOOO!" very unprofessional!
Water Park was next on our to do list. we arrived at 2pm and we had to circle a few times to find a chair. It was busy but not crowded. The air temp was perfect. Sometimes indoor pools are so hot and the air is so strong with chlorine but I didn't find that here. I took a nasty fall before even getting wet. I slipped and landed hard right on my tail bone. It was a bad enough fall that now, 3 days later it is no better and I am going to have to go to the doctor. it really ruined the vaca for me. i was too sore to do any slides and could hardly walk. So word to the wise...be extra cautious when walking on slippery floor. The park was very well kept and clean. The life guards seemed vigilant. No real complaints about the water park. My son loved it and i was content with the hot tub and wave pool. Oh wait...I didn't like the lazy river. it was just too shallow.
The food was very expensive. We did the buffet one evening and it was $20 an adult. They had a lot of options but low quality. They have bottles of water in your room but charge you $3 each if you use them. Thats just a rip off.
Overall it is clean and fun but very expensive. At about $300 a night i would have expected glow golf and bowling to be free. Im happy we went once but probably won't go back due to the cost.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scotrun
Pocono Manor Resort & Spa
Mount Airy Casino Resort
Mount Airy Casino Resort
#1 of 7 in Mount Pocono
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,230 reviews

Been to Great Wolf Lodge? Share your experiences!