“It's the kind of thing you do for the kids.”
Review of Great Wolf Lodge

Great Wolf Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Scotrun
Reviewed February 22, 2013

Definitely not my crowd or scene but I made children and life now is about compromise, glorious compromise. Yes, it's overpriced and the food is quite awful and watching clinically obese children load up at the buffet makes me sad - but listening to my 6-year old scream "this is awesome!" on the water slides helps make up for all of that.

Grownups come last here, even though we're footing the bill. The wine selection is abysmal. Beer is your standard ball-park fare (bonus for having Sam Adams). Liquor brands are pretty limited and the bartender puts ice in your martini. Note to management: GWL would be a million times more appealing if there was a decent, classier dining option for us snooty grownups. After a day doing all the fun kid stuff, I wouldn't mind shelling out extra for a good meal and bottle of wine in a decent atmosphere.

Thin walls - thin everything, actually - but somehow it got magically quiet at night and I slept through it. It was busy enough when I was there during the week. I don't think I'd be caught dead there on a holiday.

Room Tip: Higher is better. I don't see why "Pool level" is a selling point: It's the noisie...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank skurczysyn
Write a ReviewReviews (5,751)

Reviewed February 19, 2013

An absolute rip off from the moment you check in. Plan to stand in line for EVERYTHING and pay hundreds of dollars for it. The room was filthy with, uh, pubic hairs found in the bathroom and on the bedspread.

And, management could care less as the place is a cash show. Two magic wands for $100. Yes, that is magic all right....for Great Wolf.

Best part is when we checked out and were asked the perfunctory, how was your stay, question, and then told them we were disappointed that they knew it was a holiday weekend and were incredibly short staffed, their reply was OK.

This place is a petri dish for disease and I would love for someone to do an expose to shut it down.

There are other family friendly options out there and i have to encourage others to consider them.

your kids might have a good time, but you will leave feeling as if you have been robbed.

And, your were.

2  Thank Debra L
Reviewed February 19, 2013

My nine year old boy girl twins had just as much fun doing the magic wand treasure hunt as they did going on the indoor water slides. They did not want to leave.
I thought the staff was super friendly; everyone was working hard to make our stay enjoyable.
The food was excellent. A personal chef was brought out make my son a gluten free dairy free meal every time.
The only negative was that sometimes the main lobby was very busy with new people checking in. Maybe this was because we were there during a holiday weekend.
I loved our room on the 4th floor; it had a tall sloping ceiling which gave the room a spacious feel.
We went on every water slide; each on was a delight. Even my wife enjoyed the milder slides.
The big surprise to me was how much my children enjoyed the "Harry Potter-like" treasure hunt using their magic (electronic) wands that opened chests, lit up crystals, and revealed secret messages. My kids did this for 2 hours on the first day and for 1 hour on the second day. They could have easily spent another couple hours doing the treasure hunt.
Over all, this is a great weekend trip for families with kids ages 7-10. Younger and older kids will still have fun, but ages. 7-10 will be in heaven.

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank RichardSlesinski
Reviewed February 18, 2013

1. I would arrive anyday of the week except for Saturday, because if you want to go on the waterslides the lines are very long. When you go to the water park you NEED flipflops or water shoes!! The floors are a bit gross to be barefoot in.

2. When you come to the GWL you should bring a cooler of snacks, in the room there is a mini fridge for snacks. You should bring snacks for the water park because it can/ will be slow and pricey! Also their buffet is only breakfast and dinner. But their is starbucks and snackshops!

3. In the morning if you want to beat the crowd, i would have someone wait in the breakfast line to limit your wait. And someone else wait till the water park opens at 9:00 and grab a table because the tables are taken very fast!!

4. If you have a young one i would reccomend the clock tower show that is at 9:00pm. It is entertaining for them. And if you have an older one I would reccomend after the clock tower show is the best time to take them to the arcade!

5. For your room, if you have children i would recommend the kid cabin or wolf den. It's a cute memorable "den" that they can hang out in and sleep in. If you are a late sleeperand dont like to be disturbed i would reccomend the 4th floor and NOT near magi quest.Plus the noise level is way more suitable.

This is a great yearly vacation to take with family, friends, or couples!!

Room Tip: If when you walk in your room and it is not up to your expectations go directly back to the lobby. A...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank HMS181924
Reviewed February 17, 2013

My family recently visited Great Wolf Lodge and we stayed in the Family Suite. This is the cheapest or "least expensive" room offered there, at a whopping $279.00 per night charge, it is considered a deal in the eyes of the resort. The biggest advice tip I would give would be to not sleep on the lower floors, aim for the top floor as your destination because there is so much noise that could be heard from inside your room from kids and adults walking in the halls that it is almost unbearable. That resort either has paper thin walls or the noise is magnified that much more. It sounded like Skylander characters were running down the halls at times. The resort is very nice, very clean, all the resort personnel seem very responsive to any needs you may have too. The price however makes it not worth a second trip. My second tip of advice would be to eat out while staying at Great Wolf. There are numerous nearby restaurants in the area to chose from. The price to eat is so high you will understand why. The lines for some of the bigger slides can be a major problem as well depending on when you go. I imagine the weekends is a bad time to visit. We went on a Tue-Wed in the middle of February and found it to be busy even then. I gave this resort an average rating when factoring everything in. Some good things about this resort mixed in with "way too high" prices is why the rating isn't better.

Room Tip: Sleep on the upper or very top floor. The lower the floor the more noise you will hear!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank Brian K
Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

I'm here right now. My guess is well check out a night early and lose 500 bucks. The water park can be done In 3 hours. There's no reason to stay more than one night.

I know it's clean thanks to the chlorine burning my retinas. The smell doesn't get you as bad...until your eyes begin to tear.

Food: not even the French fries are edible. The pizza is an embarrassment. Should have stuck to Pizza Hut express.

Magic quest: 35 bucks for a wand and a booklet written with poems that a grown up can barely decipher. My 5 yr old likes unlocking the treasure chest. And because he's happy I'm happy. (Not really.)

The rides really are very fun. Even dare devilish for the 42" set.

Now it's 930 at night. Why on earth someone comes on loudspeaker to wake young kids to say "it's quiet time now!!!" This makes no sense. Not that young kids are sleeping here. They're running in the hallways (no soundproofing here at all) knocking on doors and parents holding beer in little great wolf cozies are yelling back at them.

I'm going back to the ritz Carlton...anywhere there is one. For this price it's an abomination. Ooh, they jut reminded me again Togo back to my wolf den for quiet time! (Get me outta here.)

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank thereadbaron
Reviewed February 16, 2013

This was our 3rd stay here at the lodge. This was the best so far. Because the Hotel was only half full we were granted a free upgrade (awesome) when we asked and there were hardly any lines for the big slides (lots of exercise). Water park very clean, life guards are great, and our upgraded room was top notch clean and cozy. Thanks for the memories.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Scotrun
Pocono Manor Resort & Spa
#1 of 1 in Skytop
Mount Airy Casino Resort
Mount Airy Casino Resort
#1 of 7 in Mount Pocono

Been to Great Wolf Lodge? Share your experiences!