“Great family fun!!”
Review of Great Wolf Lodge

Great Wolf Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Scotrun
Reviewed January 23, 2013

This indoor water park is a lot of fun. I would definitely recommend going! The rooms, the water park, the halls, everything is kept very clean. The staff is very friendly. I've been there twice with my kids.
The only bad thing is the price, depending on when you go it can get very expensive.

2  Thank cherryberry13

Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

Kids had a blast! They loved the bunk bed "kid camp" Beds. Helped that we could save some money by bringing our own food which was easily warmed up in our amenity equipped room! The rides were perfect for all ages and the snack bar was convenient for quick lunch!

3  Thank Gskannen
Reviewed January 22, 2013 via mobile

Close to NY, good in a pinch more than a night is overkill. After water park not much else to do on premises. Kids kind of grow tired of the water park after day or two. Room rate is based on how many people going to water park, therefore if you do not make use of the water park, you are paying a premium for nothing. Example: family of 5-6 with 3-4 water park users are still paying for 2 extra people, regardless.

Reviewed January 22, 2013

We just returned from two nights at Great Wolf. Overall a very fun winter getaway. I will definitely go back. The best thing we did was pack plenty of snacks, alcohol for my husband and I and drinks for the kids. We brought a cooler, you have a mini fridge in room so we stored water, beer, milk, etc in there. I packed bread, peanut butter and and jelly to make a quick lunch for the kids one day. The food can get pricey, the pizza place on site was extremely reasonable. The bowling and golf is 5 dollars per person per game and the arcade prices are reasonable, I bought a card for 20 bucks for the arcade and it lasted us two full days. My twins are 4 and while they did not really understand the MagicQuest, they had a great time using the wand to open treasure chests , making things light up, etc. The Water park is AWESOME and so clean. For the two night stay it cost me a total of $845, that is 2 nights of the room ( KidCamp room) 3-4 meals on site, the buffet is very good, can be pricey ( like I said we brought our own wine and beer for the room so that saved us alot) MagicQuest for two kids, water park use, bowling, painting a craft in Kid Activity Center, mini Golf, Starbucks for 2 days, Arcade. I went mid week, it was not crowded and my room rate was much less than a weekend. They constantly have activities going on in the main lobby. I read other complaints about noise, that was not the issue for me. We stayed in room 2094, and I barely heard anything. Staff was very friendly, eager to help and life guards at water park are constantly watching, felt very safe.

3  Thank twinmom0421
Reviewed January 21, 2013

We were very excited and it was fun but the chlorine level was the worst experience i ever had. My 3 kids plus 2 nieces were very sick after this trip. Their eyes were red and burning. They were coughing too much and with throat problems due to the chlorine. There was no ventilation and they suffered a lot. I would love to come back but after this i will not anymore. I will find somewhere else. Unffortunely...

2  Thank Hipperdry
Reviewed January 21, 2013

I know...it can be expensive. But we come here every year and it's totally worth it! You would easily spend $50 p/p at any water park out there...and if you plan ahead and come during the week you can save a ton and virtually get the room for free!! They have a large pizza for $12!?! (cheaper than at home!) The rooms are huge. Lots of free activities offered in the lobby - bingo, wolf walk, origami, storytime, dance party. The dinner buffet was amazing and offered really high quality food - shrimp, steak, clams, etc as well as chocolate fountain. The water park is clean and the lifeguards are amazing. It is age appropriate and there are never groups of crazy older teens scaring the little kids, like at other water parks. My kids are 8 and 10 and love, love, love this place!! It has a disney-like feel to it. Customer service is exceptional and they have added some other things and upgrades in recent years. I let my girls do the Scoops spa for the first time-expensive but so worth it!!

Room Tip: The family fireplace room is also quite a bit larger and has two TV's. Great if you dont want t...
Reviewed January 19, 2013

Our son chose to go here for his 5th birthday and although we couldn't afford to accommodate all his friends and parents, the staff went the extra mile to make it extra special for him (they decorated our door with a special poster, had every staff person say happy birthday every time they saw him...)
About the room: we had a premium suite (the one with the Jacuzzi-which we told our son was a pool just for him...we did this as a back up in case something happened/someone got sick/etc, so that way he'd be able to experience "swimming" and we wouldn't lose out on the $ & fun.) Thankfully, these rooms are on the first floor (lobby is on the second floor), set aside from all the chaos. I couldn't have imagined the noise on floors 2,3, & 4 because that's were the MagiQuest and Storybook Adventures take place. Spend the extra $ and go for this room. It was very clean and kept up. (I even checked for bed bugs.) We could hear faint footsteps above our room, but it wasn't anything that kept my kids (5 & 1.5) from going to bed. Room came with vanilla smelling shampoo and bubble gum smelling soap for the kids.

About the food: we ate at the restaurant/café place inside. It's basically bowling alley food. The quesadilla and chicken fingers were good, don't do the cheeseburger sliders! The hotdog's were simply hotdogs...the kids ate them and had no complaints. Overall the service was good. On day one, the hostess was having a bad day and the waiter was awesome and on day 2, the hostess was nice and the waitress was scatter brained. Meh, people have their moments; it didn't affect my experience.
You are allowed to bring in your own food and drinks, but lets say you're utilizing the option of using the waterpark at 1pm and not checking in til 4 and you're coming from a few hours away, it's worth just stopping in here to eat and not having to drive around trying to look for something, while the kids are exhausted from sitting in the car. But you if you really want to pinch pennies, through a few drinks in your purse and have them with your lunch. Sodas are $2.99.
At night, we ordered pizza from the pizza place (not pizza hut) and it was decent. Kind of greasy. Nothing a few napkin dabs couldn't take care of.

Ok, so now you're done eating and the kids want to swim. You can rent a small, square locker for $10 and a $10 deposit (which you get back if you return the key before 10:30pm.) If you're pinching pennies, wear your suit with some sweatpants over it and you'll fit in with everyone else walking around there. Then keep your bag with your clothes in it near a table or chair, near a feature you're going to spend most of your time (i.e. next to the kiddie pool, if you're going to spend most of your time there.) They do have a changing room with showers in it as well. On day 1, we rented a locker b/c we had our phones and wallets with us and on day 2, we kept our bag on a chair and didn't have any problems, we kept all valuables in the car after we checked out. (you're allowed to use the waterpark until it closes, after check out-11:00 am.)

The waterpark was warm, but it did take a minute to get use to the water. Of course, it would take anyone a minute to get use to swimming in the middle of winter. There was a decent variety of things to entertain my 5 & 1.5 year old. We went on a weds and there still was a 3-6 minute wait for the adult slides. The lifeguards were very cautious and were constantly walking and pacing back and forth, looking in every corner.

Activities for the kids: We decided to get the paw pass ($67-ish) for my son's birthday. While it did save us $$ with everything as a bundle...we could have gone without doing certain things and he would have been content. Had we not told him about it, he would never have known about the MagiQuest or Storybook Adventure. The paw pass includes a stuffed animal (in which you choose-$24.99 value and comes with one accessory $5.99 value), a candy cup from the exchange (a small, plastic cup (think kids size at McDonalds) that you can choose what candy to fill in it), 20 paw points at the arcade (every game takes 4 or 8 paw points. They give you a credit card looking thing that has the points on it and then you swipe it at every game and it deducts the allotted amount of points), 1 game of bowling (originally it's $5/per person, per game), 1 MagiQuest wand and topper (I *think* the standard wand is $12.99 and it comes with the original topper), and 1 Storybook Adventure that includes a storybook with the child's picture in it (they the child's picture in front of a green screen before you start and when you're done running around flights 2, 3, & 4 (20 mins or so) you're book is ready to pick up. It's a glossy paper book, about 6 inches wide, 8 inches high, that his the child's picture in it on every page.)

The MagiQuest is really geared towards kids 7 & 8 who understand what they're looking for, but it was fun for my son to point the wand at things and watch them light up. Husband and I had some good laughs watching him run around (have a few drinks too while you walk around with them, makes it bearable!)

The Storybook Adventure-IMO- was a waste. The wristband they give you to swipe in front of designated storybooks sometimes wouldn't work or the books would say, this book isn't part of your adventure at this time. You have to go from storybook to storybook to understand a story, but by the time you get to the next book, you forget what they said or get distracted.

The arcade had fun games, but he was only able to play 4 games with his paw points and got about 60 tickets...earning him 5 pencils and a bouncy ball.

The bowling was fun. They're little sized bowling balls with miniature lanes. They loved it.

The stuffed animal is worth it's value, but he doesn't play with it.

It would have been cheaper to fill a plastic cup with m&m's. Again, something he could have lived without.

We brought our own breakfast, muffins and bananas, so I can't comment on the restaurants breakfast food.

The night time story presentation at 8pm was cute. It entertained my kids. The trees and animals sing.

Next time to make things easier, I would pack the boys' swim stuff in 1 bag and the girls stuff in another so you can just take the bag into the changing room, instead of digging through 1 bag trying to sort outfits.

Also, do the arcade and bowling stuff first. And the walking around stuff, THEN go to the waterpark. It closes at 9pm and it seems at around 7pm it was bare in there. 2-3 hours in there is plenty of time, especially when you have day 2 to go in the morning (or even til it closes) and get your money's worth of swimming.

Overall, we had a blast. Be courteous and the staff will take care of you.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Scotrun
Pocono Manor Resort & Spa
#2 of 7 in Mount Pocono
Mount Airy Casino Resort
Mount Airy Casino Resort
#1 of 7 in Mount Pocono

Been to Great Wolf Lodge? Share your experiences!