“Great place, lots of fun!”
Review of Great Wolf Lodge

Great Wolf Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Scotrun
Reviewed December 23, 2012

We just got back from our very first trip to Great Wolf Lodge. I read many of the reviews before booking and took the advice of reviewers by booking mid-week and staying on the top floor near, but not too close to the elevators. My husband, 5 year old, 12 year old and myself had a fantastic time. I really cannot think of a single negative thing to complain about. The hotel was decorated very nicely for the holidays and you are given a very warm, welcoming feel from the minute you stepped foot in the hotel. I do agree with other reviewers in that the rooms are outdated but ours was clean and everything functioned properly. There wasn't any blankets on the bed, just a thin type of comforter between sheets but a call to the front desk to inquire about a comforter or blankets and they came up very quickly with extra blankets.The fridge was large enough to store snacks and drinks for the kids and the room also includes a microwave which was helpful. We brought our own breakfast and snack items to save money.

While the rooms were pricey for what you get, the waterpark was fantastic! There are so many things to do for all ages. It was very clean and there are many areas with chairs or chairs and tables. Going mid-week is definitely the way to go as there was not a crowd of people and the lines to get on the water slides were minimal to none. I thought the lifeguards were all very diligent and very watchful over all areas of the waterpark. We did eat lunch one day at the grill inside the waterpark and found the food to be pretty good. I really didn't think the prices were as expensive as some have commented. Perhaps it depends where you are coming from. Aside from lunch in the waterpark and one morning of the breakfast buffet, which was ok, we ate off site. There are several restaurants to choose from within a 10 minute drive from the hotel. The coffee though was not very good. I'm not a fan of Starbucks. Too bad there wasn't a Dunkin Donuts on site.

The magic quest game was fun as well. It was pricey to purchase the wand and the game (plan on just under $30 per child), but my children enjoyed playing it as did many of the other children in the hotel. It actually gave us all some great exercise going up and down the stairs to look for the clues for each quest.

The snow in the lobby was really unique and my five year old really enjoyed it along with seeing Santa.

Overall a grat trip and we would definitely stay here again, but only if we found a good promotion to save money.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the 4th floor close, but not too close to the elevators.
2  Thank dinmatt
Write a ReviewReviews (5,885)

Reviewed December 22, 2012

Most disappointing stay and worst experience at a hotel ever. Lost our luggage for two hours. Worse than bad food onsite. Stink bugs in the room. Walls of room so thin I could hear all of the disgusting things the trashy, obese idiots that stay here were saying in both rooms next door, the room above, the hallway outside our door and the hallway above our hallway. The obese idiot next door allowed her young children to play in the hallway right outside my door at 11 pm waking up me and my kids. The room also had electrical problems with lights flickering + even after they had been turned off! Pathetic. I will never return.

5  Thank PepperJohnson
Reviewed December 22, 2012

Let me start by saying that I don't often take the time to write reviews. That being said, I a feeling the need to share our experience to better inform others. I also want to preface this with the fact that we live within a 20 minute radius and this was our first stay.

Rooms: Great Wolf - You need to do some serious updating! I have stayed at plenty of hotels and was not overly impressed witht his room for the $$$. Our bed sheet was torn, (visible upon entering the room) not terribly but should not have been placed on the bed IMO. The bedskirt was in shreds...and should have been tossed. The couch in our room had a hole in it. Really? I just paid how much for this room? All that aside, you don't spend a ton of time in your room so I guess if you fine with overlooking some shabbiness the room is acceptable. My kids did very much so like the bunk beds and they seemed sturdy enough.

Service/Food - There is a Starbucks in the lobby for the AM coffee...but I would NEVER eat there. The food prices are a bit on the pricey side. Being local, we opted for dining our evening meal out at one of our favorite spots and brought in some bagels for breakfast the next day. Now, since we had the luxury of being able to stay in the waterpark until 9pm the next day, we packed up the car and called the front desk to ask about leaving our keys with them since that was the only thing we needed looking after. We were told that they cannot be responsible for those items and would have to rent a locker in the waterpark...for $20! Yikes! now you do get $10 back so final cost was $10 but really? isn't this a family/service oriented hotel?

The waterpark was fun. My 8yr old and 4 year old were had a good time. Lifeguards seemed VERY alert. My kids are good swimmers but with that quantity of people in the pools, you never know. I think a 1 day stay is plenty for the kids. In fact my little guy got tired by 1pm the next day, so we took them home and my 8year old and I went back until close.

Overall, my kids had fun, which is what counts, but I think the hotel needs to re-evaluate the rooms again.

3  Thank member52945
Reviewed December 21, 2012 via mobile

Great Wolf is such a great place to take the kids to have fun and spend some quality time. The staff was extra nice to us. The water park was excellent and fun. The food is pretty expensive not bad but not the best. Ordering out is the best idea and most places deliver which is a plus. The room was nice and clean. The only thing I can really complain about is the heating system that they have in the rooms is super loud and can be annoying. What a great job they did decorating for Christmas with pictures of Santa available. It is minutes away from shopping outlets. Overall this is the nicest getaway we had in a while we are planning to make this a yearly getaway for our family.

Reviewed December 21, 2012

My friend and I split a room with our total of 4 kids. That made the room price good. The food however is very expensive. I would bring things with me if I go again. I was just at Disney and their prices seemed cheaper. Rooms were quite beat up looking but you don't spend too much time in them. The bed was comfy which always makes me happy.

Reviewed December 20, 2012

My friend and I made a return trip to this hotel with our 2 11-year olds and had a ball. Yes, it's pricey, but you don't really have to ever leave the hotel for entertainment between the water park, arcade, Magic Quest game and a little rest thrown in for good measure. The buffet breakfasts are great and it's easy to find a snack during the day. I would NOT recommend coming here without children, or even with very young children, but for the pre-teen set it's terrific.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 19, 2012

My family and I just got back from a 3 day stay at Great Wolf Lodge and I am happy to say we all had an awesome time. I have read reviews of this place before coming and honestly some of them made me laugh. This is a KIDS resort. I mean if you are a couple with no kids but like to have fun then its great but this place was made for kids. Its going to have loud, yelling, laughing, running , happy kids, unhappy kids, parents who look like they need a drink lol in it.

We had so much fun in the waterpark. It was nice and warm and the water was a nice temp. The lifeguards on duty were awesome. I cant understand why someone would say they werent managing the rides...on one day of our stay I physically saw lifeguards pulling kids outta danger because their parents werent even paying attention to them!! Blowing their whistles and everything to get the parents attention but alas they werent even phased by it so they had to jump in and get the kids. I find that effective "managing" if you ask me.

My two year old son LOVED the toddler area and after awhile he was able to go down the slides by himself with us waiting for him at the bottom of course. There is a lifeguard stationed at the top of the slides and they were very good at helping the little kids go down the slides and they were very attentive to the surroundings.

As far as food goes I brought lots of snacks for our room, they give you a refrigerator and a microwave. I was able to fit a gallon of water and a half gallon milk in it and still have room for a few more things. First night we ate out at Friendlys which is only a mile down the road. I brought things to eat for breakfast like cereal and oatmeal. We ate at the buffet for dinner one night and it was your typical buffet. I mean if your expecting a gourmet meal then you will surely be disappointed but we all actually really enjoyed our meal. Rooms are nice and comfy and the kids have room to run around.

If your wondering when a good time to go let me just say if you can GO ON A WEEKDAY. I heard weekends are MOBBED but thats to be expected. We did a M-W and it was great..the capacity was so low that great wolf actually LOWERS the price of the buffet and they offer a lighter fare of food. I thought that was very proactive. So overall if you have little kids or even young teenagers (13-16) this place is awesome. I hope my review was helpful...the place isnt Disney but its still a really great time :)

Room Tip: "Bring your favorite food and snacks!" "try and go on a weekday, its less crowded...
1  Thank Deg0131
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scotrun
Pocono Manor Resort & Spa
#1 of 1 in Skytop
Mount Airy Casino Resort
Mount Airy Casino Resort
#1 of 7 in Mount Pocono

Been to Great Wolf Lodge? Share your experiences!