“Great indoor water park”
Review of Great Wolf Lodge

Great Wolf Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Scotrun
Ocean City, Maryland
“Great indoor water park”
Reviewed May 30, 2012

We stayed 2 nights, took 10 year old grandson, he said it was the best time of his life. We went during the week. I dont think it would be as much fun if it was really busy. They have plenty of water sldes, wave pool and lazy river. Food options are limited and expensive. Pizza was good and they have a Starbucks. had a great time

1 Thank SCoolJ

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (570)
  • Turkish first
NJ
Reviewed May 29, 2012

We spent 3 days(May 2) which was worth it. A week will just be too much. This place is better than split rock. Only folks staying at the hotel have access to the water park. No outsiders. You have more water rides for all ages,wave pool, separate pool and outdoor pool(summer months) and plenty of things to do afterwards. The restrooms are clean,limitted locker area and chairs but they keep the water park clean. They have a hamburger/hotdog stand inside the water park for food purchases. The water park can get crowded but It does quiet down a bit after 4ish til closing(9pm). I suggest as your first time, purchase the paw pass to save you money. The children will want to do the magiquest and everything else they offer. The pass will save you money. You'll get plenty of exercise while roaming all 3 floors from top to bottom for each quest with your younger kids. There are plenty of places to eat along route 80. They have a list of restaurants(in the hotel room) that offer 10% if you show your GWL tags. You have to try Big Daddy's BBq place. All restaurants are close by and easy on and off exits off Rt. 80. We had the breakfast buffet at the lodge on our last day, it was well worth the price. We stayed at the Wolf den suite. It was big enough for a family of 6(even though we were just 4) and you have your own private balcony. The kids enjoyed having their own separate bunk bed area/tv. The rooms are clean and it comes with microwave/coffee maker. It is showing its wear and tear but they continue to keep the facility as updated as possible. If you want to stay away from all of the commotion, then try to book your room on the top floor and away from the lobby area. They have starbucks,pizza hut and ice cream store for a price. You are better off driving 5 minutes to their mall to save you money. The place is also close to the outlets. I would definitely recommend this place for a weekend getaway.

1 Thank cicarang
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed May 29, 2012

To start, we went on Memorial Weekend, so we expected a crowd. However we did not think it would be as crowded as it was.

Pros:
The room - We stayed in the room with the loft and it was great. Big, clean and reasonably quiet (except when the DJ was playing at the pool).
The process - Your wristband is your key and credit card. So it was very convenient especaiily when using the water park
Cub club - the people in there were really nice, there were several things to do, and it was never too crowded
The water park - it is both indoor and outdoor, so the mass of people get srpead out a bit. We went at 9 AM both days and it really did not get too crowded until after 11. It is a big water park with lots of things to do
Hungry as a Wolf pizza - The pizza was good and the price was reasonable (I think is was $13 for a large)

Cons:
Noise - it is impossible to get away from the noise. Every place you turn there is noise. Every communal place is full of people and they are noisy
Amount of people - I am not sure of the policies, but there were way too many people for the number of rooms. We watched many people around us as they checked in and they were bringing air mattresses and sleeping bags into the rooms. They were definitely overcrowding rooms adding to the capacity of people in the building
Magic Quest - This is a game that kids play with wands. We thought it would be in an enclosed area. Instead it is set up in the hallways of the lodge. So there are kids running around everywhere with wands. It is also on several levels so they are constantly getting on and off of the elevator making the elevator really slow. The game is also loud so going back to your room you have to avoid kids with wands everywhere.
General over stimulation - our kids are 3 and 6. They were over stimulated almost the entire time they were at the lodge. We saw more tears than smiles. There is just too much going on for smaller children to take in.
The area - If you want to venture away from the lodge there is really nothing else to do besides an outlet mall.

Overall, we would not go back. We like a vacation were it is simpler and we can relax without the crowds, over stimulated children, and constant noise. This place was like a theme park that you cannot get away from until the vacation is over.

3 Thank Mudbug4444
New Jersey
Reviewed May 28, 2012

My husband and I bit the bullet and took our son to the GWL for his 6th birthday. We anticipated the worse but left there pleasantly surprised. We stayed Sunday into Monday to avoid the weekend crowds. I personally felt that a one night stay is enough since guests are permitted to use the park again the following day. Although the room is not available until 4pm, we checked-in at 12:30pm and were able to use the park immediately (have bathing suits on and a pool bag ready.) The hotel texted my cell phone once the room was available.
We stayed in a Kids Camp suite and the boys (ages 6 & 3) were excited for the bunk beds. The room was spacious and clean. The hotel honored my request for a room away from heavy traffic (MagicQuest, main lobby, and elevator). The rooms have a microwave and fridge so I packed a lot of snacks, lean cuisines entrees, and drinks that kept the kids (and my wallet) happy! The GWL has multiple food vendors, so you won't go hungry... just prepare to pay $$ for reststop-like food. We had breakfast at the Scotrun Diner the next day (at the entrance take a right onto Rt 611 for 30 sec., diner is on the right), which recharged us for four more hours at the park.
The water park is very big and loud. The room & water temperture was good. There are barely any seats available unless you get there first thing in the morning. The mission is to stroll around and eventually hover over a family who look like they are prepared to leave. The best decision I made was to leave my 1 year-old at home... it would have been very tiring for me and overstimulating for the baby. The rides felt safe and there are some long stairs to climb (the air feels heavier as you go up.) The ride attendants/ lifeguards were young and did not go out of their way to give a warm welcome (perhaps I have been spoiled by Disney World.) We also did other activities such as: arcade, kid bowling, Cub Club, storytime, and face painting, which broke up the day.
All in all, it was a good experience. The best part were the grins on the boys' faces as the slept through the car ride home! My son has already requested to return for his 7th & 8th birthday!

1 Thank NJsunseeker
Reviewed May 26, 2012

Okay so our son has been hounding us to go to gwl. We found a deal on Amazon's local deals that made us book it. We stayed in a fireplace loft suite and it was wonderful. The room was big and clean. It had a balcony that my son enjoyed. The loft area was great for parents to have some alone time.
The waterpark was very clean. Maybe my fault, but I thought it would be much bigger. We were done in a few hours. Our son is seven and enjoyed everything. They do nickel and dime you if you are uneducated. Bring your own snacks and drinks to save cash. I am all about being on vacation, but you can spend as much as Disney there. We ate the breakfast buffet and it was around 60.00 for four of us. Other than that, we ate off premises. The place itself runs like a well oiled machine. I like that you have options of bringing things and coming n going off premises as you please.
Bottom line, you only need to stay one night to do everything. We arrived at 1:00 and our room was ready. We squeezed everything in and left the following day around 3:00. The changing areas had showers and were very clean. At 304.00 as the weekly deal for up to six people, it was nice in the loft fireplace suite. Had we paid 600.00 plus for the room which is the going rate I would have been upset! A must to visit once, but can be very pricey! Bottom line would have been very pricey if we didn't get that deal!

• Stayed May 2012
East Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 23, 2012

We spent the night with 5 kids, my mother, and myself. Staff was great - the kids had a wonderful time. One of the kids is a baby, and they accompidated us wonderfully. We live locally and just wanted a "night out" with the kids. But if you are looking for a fun, eventful time-this is the place to go! What was real nice was they had a buffet, so that helped a lot with the price of food!!
The pool area is great, and the life guards are very nice and I felt safe.

New Jersey
Reviewed May 23, 2012

2 days, 1 night is enough. The grounds are well kept. Interior was clean although there were bus loads of teenagers (I think end of school year trips) so the place was crowded. I booked a Sunday night thinking it would have been quiet. Not the case! The wave pool was packed. The GR8 is closed which was disappointing. My husband went down at 9am to get chairs and barely got enough for our family. The kids loved the magiquest and finished the game in the 1 night we were there. The arcade was clean but expensive. The staff was very friendly. We stayed in the fireplace loft suite. The second level with 1/2 bath, mirror + sink was nice to have. We saved $ by bringing our own food. Ice machines were empty both times we tried to use them. The 4th floor view of mountains was perfect. Nice quick getaway but I wouldn't stay more than 1 night.

Room Tip: 4th floor view was nice but there was always a wait for the elevator. 1st or 2nd floor may be easier...