“Great family vacation!”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Scotrun
New York
“Great family vacation!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2011

My family ( kids ages 7 and 9) stayed 2 nights at great wolf lodge and had a great time. Rooms were very clean....staff very friendly and helpful. Waterpark well staffed and clean. Overall great vacation and my kids cant wait to return.

• Stayed May 2011
1 Thank Schatzegsd

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (554)
  • Turkish first
Jersey City, New Jersey
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2011

Took my 6 year old son and my 5 year old niece with my cousin to Great Wolf Lodge. Got there Wednesday April 27, checked in, then took the kids to the water park. The following morning on April 28, my cousin woke up and sat herself up on the bed, my niece pointed to a "bug" that looked a lot like an appleseed. Not thinking anything of it, she flushed it down the sink, and didn't complain to the hotel about it. The following morning April 29, I woke up to severe itching on my back at around 0515 AM. I got up to look in the mirror, but had to wake up my cousin since it was a bit hard to look at my lower back. She was shocked to see what she saw. I reluctantly agreed to have her take this picture, because she said "Atleast you will have proof, and that they won't think that your making this S&*% up". I went downstairs to the lobby to tell the Front Desk about it, but was told that there was no one (Manager/Supervisor) there at that time, but will let them know about it at 9am. Nadeen (staff) came up to check the beds, didn't find anything but assured us that there was nothing to worry about, The GWL could put all of our clothes in the Industrial dryer that would kill all the bugs if any, little did we know after being given separate bags for our clothes, we were gonna end up with all of them in one big black garbage bag, and be delivered outside in the parking lot. They had very poor communication, in short, NO ONE SPOKE TO EACH OTHER!!!! Management should have spoken to their staff. Clearly that was not the case.

After going home really upset, the following days were even more upsetting to my dismay. Spoke with Mike (Director) who instead of being understanding, was very condescending. Told me that it was not a "bed bug" "maybe it was a spider", and didn't seem to care what it was that bit me and caused that skin irritation. What ever it was "bed bug" or not, I was clearly bit while I was in their property/facility at 5am in the morning while I was sound asleep. After a lot of frustration, headaches, high blood pressure Mike (Director) said that they (GWL) would "compt" me for the one night that I got Bitten. FYI, they did, but failed to take off the taxes that came with the "compted" room, which I didn't bother telling them anymore.

So....if you want to get bitten by some type of BUG go to Great Wolf Lodge, PA!!!!

10 Thank h8g8twolflogde
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2011

I wouldn’t recommend staying at the Great Wolf Lodge if you don’t have kids. It’s basically an indoor water park with a hotel. The water park is clean & maintained well. But it isn’t that big. They had about 5 or 6 different kinds of water slides. After going down all of them 10 times, it gets old. They also had a wave pool & a small heated “spa” type of pool for children & adults. There’s a separate heated pool for adults only. Both are 3 feet deep & not big enough to actually swim in. But they are nice to sit in, relax & chill.

Great Wolf had the worst food I’ve ever had in my life. No joke. It seemed to me that all of the food was shipped in on some big refrigerated truck. Nothing was fresh. The options at the breakfast buffet were slim…bacon, sausage, scrambled eggs, pancakes, waffles, French toast, country biscuits & gravy, Cheerios. It’s definitely not worth the $15 per adult they charge. They also had a Pizza Hut & a little bake shop with brownies, cookies, fudge, etc. We tried the poolside snack bar one afternoon. The menu consisted of chicken fingers, fries, hamburgers, hot dogs & wraps. I had the turkey wrap. It was the best meal I had inside the hotel. Thankfully, they had a Starbucks in the main lobby. I basically lived off of coffee & blueberry scones for 3 days.

I tried a 60-minute, deep tissue massage at the Aveda Concept spa in the hotel. My therapist got offended when I told her that she could use a little more pressure. She told me that “my body was as tight as a wall & that she was using really deep pressure & that I won’t feel the pressure because I don’t drink enough water.” Needless to say, I won’t be back there.

I got in the Great Wolf Lodge on a Spring Special they were offering on their website. I stayed in a Family Fireplace Suite with a balcony. I also “upgraded” to a room on the same floor as the water park (the first floor) for an additional $19 a night. That was actually a smart thing to do. I’m really glad I didn’t have to trudge around in a sticky, wet bathing suit in an air-conditioned elevator.

The room itself was great. It was very clean & comfortable. It was also larger than I expected. I made good use of the refrigerator & microwave in the room & the free WiFi. It was slow, but it worked.

One day is definitely enough time to spend at Great Wolf. We were there for 3 days & 2 nights. I think we were all ready to go when it was time to check out, even my 7 year old.

Will I be back? Possibly. It seems like a fun place to take a group of kids. Although, when I inquired at the front desk about birthday parties, I was told that they don’t have birthday packages. And they don’t have any adjoining rooms. Apparently, you have to book a birthday package through Group Sales…and I didn’t speak to Group Sales…so I’m not sure exactly how that would work out.

One thing is for sure…I would not pay the regular rate of close to $500/night to stay at Great Wolf. But the resort worked for the reason I was going this time around. I wanted a quick out-of-town to & I didn’t want to spend a lot of money. That’s exactly what I got.

Room Tip: check web specials, stay on 1st floor
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Middletown, New Jersey
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2011

I visited Great Wolf Lodge this past Sat for one night. We have two boys age 6 and 10. We were with another family with three children in the same age group. This is the third time I have gone to GW and as usual we really had a great time. We live in NJ less that 2 hours from GW. I think one night is plenty because you can begin using the water park 1 pm the day of check in and the entire next day even after you check out of your room. The room and the park were clean and I noticed that there have been a few added attractions sice our last visit two years ago. However the three largest slides were held up quite a bit due to malfunction of the conveyer belt that brings the tubes up to the top of the slides. The machine jammed up no less that five times while we were there. This led to REALLY long wait times for these slides. The employees were great and tried to manage the situation as well as possible. GW needs to replace this machine because it turned a ten to fifteen minute wait into and hour wait four times for our family. We were celebrating a birthday and wanted to go out and enjoy a great dinner. We went to Desaki Sushi & Hibachi. They provide a free shuttle from GW and have a great party atmosphere. If you have kids that like music and entertainment, you'll love it there! There is a small game room and a dance floor that families can use until 9:30 pm. Great food and excellent cocktails!

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2011

GWL is a fun place to bring the kids for a couple of days of waterpark and MagiQuest fun, but don't expect more. Many of the games in the arcade were broken (but willing to take your tokens) and the Gr8place is really a hangout for teenage boys to play PlayStation. There is a serious lack of a sit down restaurant (buffets are nice but the hotel makes a killing charging $12/kid). The waterpark is beginning to show age ... Rust and dust should not be predominant on the slides and their supports, but they are. Again, the place is fun, but for the prices of the rooms the "quality" needs a bit more polish.

• Stayed April 2011
1 Thank FPFD480
Queens, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2011

We just reurtned from 2 nights at GWL in the Poconos. This was a trip for our son's birthday in lieu of a 2 or 3 hour party with a bunch of his friends. It was our first time at any GWL. When we arrived at approx 2pm, a worker advised us to go park our car, do not remove any of our bags and to retrieve them later after we got our room and that the check-in line was going to be at least 30 minutes. No offer to help with our bags or anything. My wife and the kids went in and she was able to get our "temporary" wrist bands to at least allow entry to the waterpark. I went and parked the car, and when I got to the lobby, my wife had the temp wristbands. The kids were hungry so we decided to get them a bite to eat. We went downstairs where the waterpark entry is as well as the snack bar and Pizza Hut. The kids wanted pizza so we got that - a little pricier than normal, but not too bad. Unfortunately though, they only have 4 or 5 tables for you to sit down and eat. So you have to wait and stalk people who look like they will be getting up soon. After we ate, my wife decided to see if our room was ready and once she got to the front desk (lines were way too long - it should never be like that at any hotel), our room was thankfully ready. Unfortunately, it was the room the furthest possible distance from the lobby - but someone has to get that room, I guess. Also, it is among the few rooms that do not have a balcony or patio. I moved the car close to the entrance near our room and carried all the bags up to our room - again, no assistance was offered.

Our room (Kid Camp suite) was fine. It was nice and spacious and the bed was fine. Kids liked their little camp tent room with the bunk beds and their own TV. The biggest problem was the AC unit. It was tremendously loud. And it kept shutting off and going back on (I guess it has some kind of built-in energy saver feature). This made it worse beacuse whne it was running for a while, it just became (albeit loud) background noise. But when it shut off and then turned back on, it seemed even louder. Plus, when on, you had to keep the TV volume way up and then when it shut off, the TV was way too loud and you had to adjust over and over again. And at the rates they charge...they should have Hi-Def flat panel TVs.

After getting in the room, we changed into our bathing suits and headed for the waterpark. Overall, the park itself was smaller than I had anticipated. However, they did a good job packing a lot of pools/slides/splash areas into the space (most of the slides go outside the building and then finish back inside). We felt the park was about as clean as one could expect. The strong chlorine smell was to be expected and didn't really bother us. Plus, it beats the alternative of not being chlorinated enough. The biggest problem in the waterpark is that they need to do a much better job when it comes to people hogging chairs/lounges/tables all day. You can tell people probably go in when they open the park, throw a towel on a chair or table and leave it there all day. They probably claim spots and then immediately leave for breakfast. They probably don't do anything about it because they want you to rent lockers at the overpriced rate of $10 a day - plus another $10 deposit. The slides are all fun and the lines weren't too bad. The only exception being when the conveyor belt that brings the tubes up to the top slides jams - which seems to happen more than it should. Also, I did see just outside the park, there appeared to be a pretty extensive training session going on for the lifeguards. That was good to see.

The next morning, we had breakfast at their buffet. We had included it in our package when we booked a couple of months out at a slightly discounted rate from their regular overpriced rates (for some reason, they apparently don't offer this much - which is absurd). It was pretty good, lots of choices. My parents, and brother, were arriving this day to spend one night to celebrate our son's birthday with him. When they arrived, they had all sorts of problems at check-in. Wy wife had made thier reservation as well (she had a discount code through her employer), so the two reservations were linked and we were told the rooms would be next to each other (or very close). They originally gave them a room 2 floors highr and on the complete opposite side of the resort. When they asked if there was another room near ours, they were told no. Also, they were quoted the wrong rate and that it did not include breakfast - that they stopped offering that on March 1. Well, the reservation was made prior to March 1. This woman who was checking them in was very rude and completely unprofessional - let alone totally incompetent. I should have gotten her name and and lodged a formal complaint. My wife and mother then was able to get someone else at the front desk who was much better and she was able to give them a room on the same floor just down the hall a little bit from us and gave them their breakfast voucher. Also, the first girl didn't explain to my parents that the wristband was also their room keys or anything - how were they supposed to know. She was really terrible.

While all this was going on, the kids were doing the MagicQuest. It's a fun activity, something different. As with everything else, it's overpriced. You pay for the wand, accessories, and to actaully play the game/activate your wand. So, you're talking about $50 per kid. It does provide hours of "entertainment" or game play. So that's good. There are a lot of confused people walking around though, trying to figure it out. They should have a person or two out and about to assist people.

We ate dinner both nights off site as the price of the dinner buffet, plus my lack of confidence in the quality made this decision fairly easy. There are many places to eat within a 15 minute drive. The last morning, after breakfast, the kids finished up their MagicQuest adventures, and went to the waterpark. We asked at the front desk for a late check out (it is 11am). We do this at most hotels and are usually granted an extra hour or two. But not surprisingly, they would not accomodate here. So I packe up the car and checked out while the kids were in the waterpark. We kept a bag with clotehs to change into and rented a locker. When it came time to change, their changing rooms/restrooms in the waterpark were less than pleasant. Soaked floors, no private changing stalls, just a couple of the problems. They should have someone cleaning and mopping these rooms every 10-15 minutes. We should have gotten changed at the restrooms outside the waterpark going towards the kids spa . I actually used that restroom a little while later and it was perfectly clean and empty. After we changed, we let the kids go to the arcade before heading home. Here, they gouge you again with many games requiring 4-8 tokens - some even more. 1 token = 25 cents.

At the end of the day, I liked GWL and would return. However, it would have to be a heavily discounted rate. I really dislike the way they raise prices for weeks when most schools are off. I can understand raising rates $50 or so. But charging over $500 a night for a standard room that will be $200 the following week when kids go back to school is criminal. And anyone who pays that is nuts - not when it doesn't include anything other than the waterpark and you are constantly spending more money while there. I'm pretty sure they didn't initially realize that, at the least, most parochial schools (like the one my kids attend) were off the week after Easter as most public school districts in the NY/NJ area (where most of their guests come from) were off the previous week. As such when we booked several months in advance, we were able to get a somewhat reasonable rate. I think when they fianlly realized that there were a lot of schools off this week, they jacked up the prices. Two weeks before we went, we looked into adding another room for a friend who was considering going and the rate was more than double what we booked for and was a ridiculous $550 a night. Also, I have heard and read that the GWL in Williamsburg, VA is significantly cheaper. So the Poconos GWL is just expoiting/gouging the NY/NJ market. If you can get rates $250 a might or better, defeinitely worth a try/return. Otherwise, spend your hard-earned money elsewhere.

Room Tip: Ask for a room close to the lobby.
5 Thank mcd2745
Mineola, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2011

We were here 2 yrs ago, and came back because the kids loved it. They loved it again! They all had a great time at the water park, and doing the magic quest challenges. Even my 4 year old enjoyed magic quest, though i'm not sure if he understood what he was doing. This is an expensive trip, but split the cost with my son's friends mom. It was really nice watching my 10 & 8 year old having independant fun with their friend. I learned that our 18 month old was brave, and followed her 4 year old brother down the kiddie slides.

However, after two days of walking up and down stairs at the water park and doing the magi quest, every soul that was with us (3 adults and 5 kids) were ready to leave! Fatigue and blisters from my water shoes made leaving desirable. But only after having lots of fun! The tube rides are fun for ride lovers like me and my middle boy!

I found the staff to be unbelievably friendly. Coming from Long Island, NY, I sort of automatically expect to be treated with sarcasm and disdain, with comments like "hey, i only have two hands". These people were sooooo helpful and nice. They stopped one of the rides to look for my glasses, which took about 10 minutes!

The park is well designed, and large enough to handle large grouds, because we went during spring break and learned that they were booked, and yet we never waited more than 10 minutes to get on the most desired tube rides.

There were some things that looked like they needed repair, like some disfunctional small things that weren't spitting water out, but nothing worth complaining about. All of the rides were functioning. The lifeguards helpful - I got rolled on one of the rides.

Accomodations were nice. We had some wine on the small but nice balcony that overlooked camelback mountain. The room has a frig and a microwave, which i recommend using, so that you get maximum pool time and minimum heartburn time from greasy takeout food.

The pullout bed that my son slept on was not comfortable AT ALL! So, plan for that. Maybe an air mattress if you have a picky sleeper.

GWL is minutes away from outlet shopping, and food. So, if you do not wish to eat their food, you can escape to outside diners, etc.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scotrun
Pocono Manor Resort & Spa
Mount Airy Casino Resort
Mount Airy Casino Resort
#1 of 7 in Mount Pocono
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,251 reviews

Been to Great Wolf Lodge? Share your experiences!