“Old world charm and superb food”
Review of Hotel Saxonburg

Hotel Saxonburg
Ranked #1 of 11 Restaurants in Saxonburg
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed October 17, 2012

My wife and i live close to Saxonburg. We have visited "The hotel" as we locals tend to call it, numerous times. However, we had not been there since the new management took it over, so we were long overdue for a visit. We had always liked it the way it was, so we were a bit apprehensive.
We didn't need to worry. The "new" hotel exceeded all of our expectations. We started with the fried asparagus appetizer. It was both perfectly cooked, and generous(plenty for 2 to share). My wife ordered the salmon and i ordered the Chicken oscar. Both dishes were perfectly cooked, and had a lot of flavor. Absolutely delicious! The service was quite good, even though our server was taking care of a large group and also a table on the patio(tip to owners, be careful not to spread servers too thin, you are upscale and service is critical). I could tell our server was a bit stressed, but hid it well and still took good care of our needs. The patio looks like an interesting place to dine, and we may try that next spring. I am glad we have such a nice place so close to home.

Reviewed October 16, 2012

After reading the previous reviews, I felt it necessary to offer my opinion of the "Hotel". First of all under the new "ownership" it has improved greatly. The owner and staff will go above and beyond whatever is necessary to make your visit fantastic. If you have a complaint (which are few) they will rectify it, no matter what. The food has always been fresh and quite delightful. The prices are comparable, if not better than other local eateries. The building lacks modern day luster, but its a historical site, with little change, all the while keeping its charm.
I visit there regularly with my family and have yet to be disappointed, or have been given an opportunity. If anything is less than perfect it is corrected immediately. I'm sorry but if your visit was bad a year go, WHY post it now ? Obviously you failed to mention your situation with the manager, owner or even the staff.
I'm so happy to see the "Hotel" thrive and become a top notch restaurant in an area that lacks anything of the same.
As a matter of fact, I think I will be eating there on Friday...

Reviewed October 11, 2012

The Hotel Saxonburg used to be a great place to eat. I am a local and grew up eating there. Ever since it came under new management a few years ago it has not been good. The last time my husband and I went there we vowed we would not go back. The meal was terrible. It was Oktoberfest and they had a special menu. My husband ordered from that menu -- I don't remember exactly what it was but I do remember that he didn't think it was much like any German food he'd ever eaten. My meal was okay but nothing to rave about and certainly not the food that I was used to getting there. They had a special offering on a bottle of wine so we thought we'd try it. The wine tasted like they filled the bottle half full with water. The prices are also high for so-so food.
The atmosphere isn't as nice either. They took out half of the wall between the bar and one of the dining rooms so, all of the noise from the bar makes it nearly impossible to talk at your dinner table if you are seated in that area. They also put a television in that dining room -- I have no idea why. If I'm going to the Hotel Saxonburg, I'm expecting an upscale atmosphere with good food -- not feeling like I'm sitting in a bar watching TV while I'm eating.
So disappointing because this used to be such a nice local place to stop in for a good burger or a really nice meal.

1  Thank jbrich
Reviewed August 25, 2012

My wife and another couple had dinner at their outside patio area the other evening. We had a waitress who approached our table like she worked at a truck stop. She listed the side dishes and soups for the evening, as best as she could recall them; finishing with a shrug. When she brought the drink order, she placed two drinks in front of our friend, and I needed to retrieve it myself. The dinner rolls were served and seemed as if they had been place in a warmer to freshen up. The salad arrived somewhat later. The lettuce was limp, and the salad had much to be desired. I ordered the supposed famous crab cakes. The were definitely were not made with lump crabmeat, and did have a lot of filler. They were actually mushy. My wife had the salmon with cucumber dressing; and said the fish had been somewhat overcooked.
When we were finished: the waitress retrieved the dinnerware and silverware by swiping her hand across the plate to gather the everything into the center of the plate, and then stacked all of the service on her forearm. She later returned to see if we wanted dessert; but before asking needed to tell the table how difficult it had been, because she had a large party inside and she was "going through her hot flashes". She persisted with going on and on about her change of life issues: pretty much like a truck driver might.
This can never be a classy restaurant with a waitstaff that is trained like this, or food prepped as our's was.

The only good thing about the evening was the company we were with and the gorgeous Pennsylvania evening. This was only destroyed by the "brat" of a child that was allowed by her parents to "bounce" and dance about the table throughout the estopped or sat down. They just ignored her.

Reviewed August 16, 2012

This is a great place to go with friends for a good time! Friday nights they have live entertainment playing on either the patio or in the bar. The food is very delicious but is a little pricey. All in all, it's a great place to go, quaint and fun (parking sucks though).