“Friendly, efficient staff, clean rooms.”

Holiday Inn Express & Suites St Marys
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Saint Marys
Pittsburgh
“Friendly, efficient staff, clean rooms.”
Reviewed December 7, 2009

I spent 3 out of the 4 weeks of November at the Comfort Inn and did not seem to have some of the problems listed in the other reviews. Melanie at the desk greeted me just about every morning and evening when as I came and went and was always ready to respond if I had a question. The rooms were cleaned every day and there were no problems with either of the two different rooms I stayed in during my visit. I will add that I stayed at the Best Western on earlier trips and it does not compare with the Comfort Inn, I especially was suspicious at the BW if they actually ever cleaned my room or not. Having stayed at both i would not hesitate to stay at the Comfort Inn on my next trip to the Saint Marys area.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Maryland
Reviewed October 4, 2009

My fiance and I stayed there for 5 days in August and had a wonderful experience with the hotel and their staff. We were there with our German SHepherd who we knew was sick but still wanted to take him on vacation. He passed away on our third day there and I could not say enough about how wonderful the staff was. They were accomodating, understanding, and even sent a sympathy note and poem to our room.

The room was very nice and they cleaned it both times that we asked them to. The continental breakfast was good and fresh every morning. It isn't the fanciest hotel but if you are looking for a nice hotel at a reasonable price I would definitly recommend it.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
West Bloomfield, Michigan
Reviewed December 8, 2008

My main problem is the relative unfriendliness of the staff. They give you the distinct impression that you're bothering them and wasting their time. Case in point: when I checked into my room, I discovered that the bed sheets were covered in dog or cat hair. When I complained at the front desk, they told me that they didn't have any housekeeping staff on duty "at that time" and that I would have to wait until the next morning. They also refused to check me into another room. I ended up walking into the laundry room and retrieving my own clean sheets--which I had to change myself. Also, even though required by Pennsylvania law to change the bed sheets every three days, that doesn't happen. I stayed here for 7 nights and the sheets were never changed once despite the fact that the rest of the room was straightened up.

One final point: Nothing was done about a loud guest screaming into his cell phone at 4 a.m. while walking up and down the halllway. Again, the front desk told me that "nothing can be done about that".

Pathetic.

• Stayed December 2008
1 Thank gorath6

Travelers are raving about these Saint Marys hotels

DC
Reviewed August 11, 2008

If only the hotel was as good as its staff.

The positives: friendly, helpful staff, nice pool and workout area, good buffet (pre-made omelets, sausage, bacon, made-to-order waffles, breads, etc.), good wi-fi, and its own stoplight.

The negatives: broken top lock on door, loose hair dryer mount (which my wife pulled off of the wall, right over the sink), and big-time water leaks.

The last is the real problem. When we walked into our room, the carpet was damp and there was a moldy smell. Not oppressive, but enough so a person with an allergy would not have been able to stay. Since there were 3 weddings and a family reunion staying there, there was no possibility of changing rooms. We were more fortunate than others, who had water coming into their rooms during each rain.

To their credit, the front desk did give us a ten dollar compensation per night for our problems.

The staff is also to be commended for handling weekend breakfast for a completely full hotel. Food and beverages were kept full, tables were kept clean. Nice work in a challenging situation.

With some maintenance, Comfort Inn could give the Best Western nearby a run for its money. Until then, you may want to stay there, especially if you're expecting rain.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviewed January 26, 2008

My husband and I are "frequent flyers" at Choice Hotel's the parent of Comfort Inns. One of us is in some type of Choice Hotel every week. So, we accumulate a lot of hotel points. One night I decided to use points to stay at this hotel. You would have thought I was stealing food out of their mouth they way they reacted at the front desk. The warm smile faded to a cool chill and they made an ordeal out of the check-in process.

This is not the way the rest of the chain responds to the points program. I agree with other posters...the front desk staff needs some customer service training.

Other than the staff, the hotel is what you would expect from an older Comfort Inn.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
glen rock
Reviewed September 27, 2007

Our company contacted the hotel because our truck driver needed to sleep for safety purposes. I spoke to the clerk, asked about rooms for the night, only had one left. She gave me a verbal committment for that room for my driver. Only to have the verbal contract broken when he arrived. She then rudely told him he could stay down town at the inn which has rooms above a bar. Doesn't work for a tractor trailer driver.

Be aware that a verbal committment doesn't mean anything to this company. The breach of their verbal agreement cause us a lot of problems when looking to safely get our driver a room.

And watch out for the rude front desk staff. Depending on what you look like they may be just as rude to you as they were to our driver.

• Liked — Absolutely nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
#2 of 10 in DuBois
Comfort Suites DuBois
Comfort Suites DuBois
#1 of 10 in DuBois

Been to Holiday Inn Express & Suites St Marys? Share your experiences!