“Won't Shell Out for a Return Visit”
Review of The Peanut Bar - CLOSED

The Peanut Bar
Reviewed July 26, 2014

SERVICE
No one was at the hostess station to greet or seat us, but there was a sign directing us to seat ourselves. Someone showed up table side within two minutes of our arrival. We weren't ignored or given a bad attitude and that is always a plus. Waitress was prompt. Dishes were cleared away in a timely manner. Bartenders wished us well on the way out.

ATMOSPHERE
Place seemed outdated, kind of dreary. Still had plastic banner decor up from the 4th of July. Plain paper place mats were on the tables. I didn't know they still made those. Quite dark, hard to see what you were eating. Could see on walls where they tried to do a quick update (probably when they took over the space) and painted over the wall paper as it was starting to separate from the walls. Made you wonder what else they skimped on or rushed through. Perhaps there is a reason for the very low lighting? Although it was tough to see, I did not feel anything sticky on the floors, seats or tables.

FOOD
Shrimp Jammers -- $6.99 -- Frozen product, tasteless and way overpriced for 6 of them.

French Onion Soup -- $4.99 -- Huge chunks of onion slices (too big for spoon, as if the onion was quartered you shouldn't have to bite your soup) that were not caramelized, broth was just warm not served hot despite the temperature of the crock it was served in, no flavor, quite bland. Tried to make my way through half of it and adding pepper did not help.

Jack Burger -- $9.98 -- I did not try the burger. Husband said the meat was okay. It was to have been a spicy jalapeno burger with jack cheese, no spice and no jalapenos. Served dry on a roll, no mayo or other sauce. But there was mustard on the table and ketchup was brought out. The roll itself was the normal width but quite tall. It kind of overwhelmed the whole thing. Came with cheese, lettuce and tomato.

Fries (served with Jack Burger) -- Cooked way too long. Maybe old oil? Wrong temperature? Inside was weird color, kind of a translucent grey but outside was dark brown. I tried one and refused more. (I am a fry thief, so this is very unusual.)

Wings -- $7.99 -- They were cooked all the way (thank goodness). I picked these as they were listed as a crispy wing and I like my wings crispy. They were crisp. The flavor was listed as Sweet Hot. It had a hint of sweet, but no heat and after the first bite the flavor just didn't hold up. Advertised as 10 "Jumbo Wings" 8 were regular sized and 2 were larger than normal.

BEER
They had pints of Lienenkugel Summer Shandy ($5.00) and Yuengling Lager ($3.25). Both tasted as they should and were good temperature wise.

VERDICT
I really, really wanted to love this place as we really wanted a local go-to place. We all know that there are some bars where you go to eat, others where you go to drink and hang out and the very rare one at which you can do both. I am sad to say that this one had neither. I do not see us returning.

1  Thank Kellie R