“The Pits.”

Ranked #5 of 19 Restaurants in Ronks
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Takeout
Description: American diner open 7 days a week. Located in the heart of PA dutch country. 6am-8pm
New York City, New York
“The Pits.”
Reviewed April 27, 2013

My wife and I visit the Lancaster Pa area often and have been doing so for almost 50 years. I have driven past Jennies about a thousand times and never went in even though there are always a lot of trucks parked in the rear area. So I decided to read the reviews at Trip Advisor which were mixed and I decided to give it a try. The effort was over a 2 visit period starting last December with breakfast. My wife and I had the pancakes and what we should have one was to get 1 order and share because they are hugh. We both finished 1 each and quite frankley I could have eaten another half but they just weren't very good, heavy and doey and even the syrup didn't kill the taste. We shared an order of bacon which was ultra greasy. Than last week we drove to Lancaster and My wife decided to have a take out chicken dinner from Texas Roadhouse so I went with a take out from Jennies. I read about their chicken croquets with mashed potatoes, green beans and pea soup. When I got back to our room and we sat down to dinner I was at first happy with my choice, that is, until I tasted the croquets. Horrible is the only work that comes to mind. The potatoes were good, the green beans were tasteless and water loged and clearly from a can but the chicken was so bad I threw the 2 croquets in the trash. The best way I can describe them is if you took a handfull of sawdust and put chicken gravy on it you would have what I had. And the guy who took my order forgot the pea soup which I heard was good. Finally, to complete my review I returned for lunch our last day and ordered the hamburger steak with a baked potato and beans again. This time I got a small potatoe which was good but this time I decided to try the corn.and it too was water loged and tasteless. The hamburger was good and done the way I requested. So, in conclusion, the only food that I considered decent was the hamburger.
As I was waiting for my take out the first evening I watched what was going on around me. Most of the people in the diner were either truckers or locals. Everyone I observed eating had a large plate of food in front of them, much more food than I was served. I think I have Jennies figured out: If you don't care what the food you eat tastes like but want a lot of it than Jennies is your kind of place. But, If you enjoy good food do what I had been doing and will now continue to do and just drive on bye.

1 Thank Jack F

Newton, NJ
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Early breakfast”
Reviewed April 25, 2013

Ate here with two of my brothers for a very early breakfast. Large portions, fast service, great taste. I loved it, start to finish. Located right on Rt.30, not too far from Millers and Dienners (which is my #1 favorite place to eat in Lancaster, PA).

• Visited June 2012
Columbia, Pennsylvania, United States
“Late Lunch”
Reviewed April 18, 2013

My wife and I stopped by for a late lunch. I ordered the Chicken fried steak with fries, gravy and Brussels Sprouts, and Coffee. The coffee was really good. I was very disappointed in everything else. The sprouts seemed like they were cooking all day and had no texture other than being, squishy. The fries were frozen as was the steak. The steak was dry and tough. The waitress was very attentive and helpful. She gets a 5/5. I probably won't go back.

chester, va
“Best Breakfast in Lancaster County!”
Reviewed April 10, 2013

We travel to Lancaster County at least once a year to catch a show at the American Music Theatre or Sight & Sound and to shop. We have our favorite restaurants and it had been many years since we had eaten at Jennies Diner on Rt 30 until last week when we stopped in for breakfast. I must say I see why the parking lot is always full. It was the best home fries I have ever eaten and the cream chip beef was just like my mother use to make. The man behind me ordered pancakes and I swear when they brought them out it was the biggest pancakes I had ever seen! The portions are huge so unless you are a really big eater be prepared to take some home for another meal. The wait staff was also very good and quick to refill your coffee without having to ask.

1 Thank outback1319
Pa
“would not go again”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Very dirty place it needs a good cleaning even the people that work there don't look clean there uniforms look dirty just grossed me out...sorry

Visited March 2013