“Cherry Crest Corn Maze & Strasburg Railroad”

Cherry Crest Adventure Farm
Ranked #4 of 16 things to do in Ronks
More attraction details
Owner description: This farm offers the Maize Maze attraction in 10-foot-high corn stalks.
West Lawn, Pennsylvania
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Cherry Crest Corn Maze & Strasburg Railroad”
Reviewed October 25, 2012

I will be posting the same review about the Strasburg Railroad, since the experiences were intertwined and it is important to realize what may happen to you if try to buy discount tickets at one site for the other.

My friends and I spent some time investigating these 2 attractions and noted that the websites talk about being able to buy discount tickets at one site for the other site and vice versa. In addition, you can go directly to Cherry Crest Adventure Farm or you can take the Strasburg Railroad to the farm. So, we were not without information. We chose to take the train to the farm. When we purchased our train tickets we were told that they were sold out of Cherry Crest tickets. It was not quite noon, and they were already sold out! So, the Strasburg Railroad ticket person told us we could 'take our chances' at the farm that they would still give us the discounted tickets upon our arrival there.

The train ride was enjoyable and Strasburg Railroad is just beautiful. It is a nice ride, where you go all the way out to the Paradise stop and then the train takes you back to the stop for Cherry Crest. Upon our departure from the train and arrival at Cherry Crest -- where it is a specific stand only for people arriving from the train -- we were told that they would NOT honor the discount because it is the Railroad's responsibility to buy Cherry Crest tickets and if they run out, TOO BAD! (The discount was for $4 off of $18 -- so a good deal.) So, who cares that they publicize this great relationship between the 2 attractions and who cares that it's obvious you came off the train. After putting up a little fuss (there were 3 off us, so again the discount was substantial), we were given a coupon for free roasted corn (while supplies last...). My friend did ask to speak to a manager and the manager was much more pleasant than the girls working at the ticket stand. He explained that it is the Railroad's responsibility to buy the tickets and that he had called them to tell them they were sold out and had dropped off more of them at the Railroad. So, it was then clear that the poor saps that showed up during the no ticket time were screwed out of the discount but others who arrived after us would be OK. ???

Anyway, we made our way into the Corn Maze. This year's design is called "Batter Up!" showing a baseball player's head with a bat. The maze itself was stellar and a lot of fun. It was nice to have little word jumbles and tidbits of info throughout the maze and having a game board to fill in with puzzle pieces of the maze gives you not just a feeling of accomplishment but also help with figuring out the maze. They said that the average time to complete the 5 acre maze is 2 hours, and it took us 2 hours and 13 minutes. I will admit that we were getting very tired and were happy to be finished, mostly because we did end up getting 'lost' and kept ending up in the same places before we eventually figured it out. We did not use our rescue flag. It was great fun to go up on the bridges and just take a look out over the corn and see the flags poking up above the corn. And it was a fantastic sight when the Strasburg Railroad came by, passing right next to the maze.

Be prepared to do a lot of walking in the maze; wear comfortable shoes. Little children could get very tired. Adults may get cranky. :) There are 3 different levels to completing the maze so you pick the one you want to do/how much time you want to spend.

I highly recommend the Cherry Crest Adventure Farm for the corn maze. We didn't have time to do any other activities while there so I can't speak to those. I understand that Cherry Crest and Strasburg RR have a deal with each other, and I appreciated the manager talking to us, but try as I might - I truly do not understand why Cherry Crest couldn't have given us the discount.

Wrapping up the story, when we returned to the Strasburg Railroad station, my friend spoke to a ticket person who provided the name and number of the Trainmaster. The Trainmaster did refund $4 to each of us so we were happy with that. I understand that Cherry Crest and Strasburg RR have a deal with each other, and I appreciated the Cherry Crest manager talking to us, but try as I might - I truly do not understand why Cherry Crest couldn't have given us the discount. I also don't understand how Strasburg so grossly underestimated the need for tickets. And if these 2 places are truly working together, then they should work out a better plan for doing these discounts. Why not provide each other with a bulk pack of tickets and then allow each other to pay for what was actually purchased, or allow for unused tickets to be returned.

3 Thank Kim H

east new market
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“great family fun”
Reviewed October 23, 2012

Cherry crest Adventure Farm is a great place to have fun with all members of your family. There are many different activities , the favorite for my kids was the petting zoo where they got to hold a baby chick..precious. The price is a bit much, and it was very crowded with long lines at the more popular attractions, but this would not deter me from visiting again. I feel it was more reasonable when the offered to different prices- one that included the corn maze, and one that did not.

1 Thank amy b
Dover, Delaware
76 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 167 helpful votes
“Fun for the entire family (even with older kids!)”
Reviewed October 14, 2012

We spent a very enjoyable day on our first visit to Cherry Crest Farm yesterday.

Pros:
* Very friendly and helpful staff! (It is refreshing to see young employees that enjoy their jobs and are not using their phones while on the clock!)

* Well-organized games and activities that offered something for everyone (small children, older kids, and even adults!)

* Large variety of food items available for purchase at a decent price.

* Very clean facility (even sinks available for handwashing after visiting the animals)

The corn maze was the most well-run that we have ever gone through (and we are originally from the midwest where they are plentiful!):
* Instructions for the maze were clearly stated at "maze orientation" and hints were available throughout the maze via signs and clues; staff were stationed at intervals to offer help, if needed.

* Different options clearly stated for the type of experience participants wish: yellow (quick & easy), orange (in the middle), and red (most difficult and time consuming).

* This year's baseball theme was carried throughout with related activities within the maze (kids loved the speed clock for trying their hand at pitching baseballs and jungle gyms!)

* Snack bar inside maze for refreshments.

The only con that we encountered was the method for queueing customers for the food court. One long line for everyone, even though there were several different food booths. I understand the need for a central cashier for the food court (the same as many museums), but it would help if people could wait in different lines depending on which food stand they were interested in and then pay at the end without being stuck in one long cattle pen line when they wanted to go to a food stand that didn't have any customers at the time.

Hint: Get there early if visiting on a fall weekend! We were there at opening and were able to enjoy all activities without crowds, but it was VERY busy when we were leaving at 2:30.

Cape May,NJ
129 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 225 helpful votes
“Great Family Fun”
Reviewed October 13, 2012

Third time visiting Cherry Crest with 5 kids and they always ask, when can we come back. Excellent family fun for all ages.

Lancaster, Pennsylvania
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“WHAT A RIPOFF!!!”
Reviewed October 10, 2012

$15.00 per person over the age of 3...ARE YOU KIDDING?? No senior discount rates, you pay the admission price and you still have to shell out money for pony rides and sand art and picking popcorn/pumpkins...the list goes on and on. I was extremely disappointed. My grandaughter had 2 favorite things - the Strasburg Railroad that went through the property and the overpriced but way delicious apple cider donuts. Playing with newborn baby chicks and petting a cow and some of the other things you can do for free at a local farm or petting zoo. Boy did I learn my lesson, I should have done more research when choosing somewhere to take the grandkids!

2 Thank Bryan J