“Nice B&B, but be aware of a few things. Convenient to GAP bike route”

Rockwood Trail House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Rockwood
Rockwood Trail House
Ranked #3 of 6 Rockwood B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 27, 2011

My wife, son and I stayed here one night in June 2011 while biking part of the Great Allegheny Passage (GAP) bike route, which runs directly in front of the Trail House. In that end, you can't get much more convenient!

This is a perfectly fine B&B, but with some caveats. If you expect personal attention from the hosts, or even a greeting when you arrive, you'll be out of luck, as it's run with an "absentee landlord" model. But otherwise it served us well for our one-night's stay.

What was good:

When we arrived there was nobody there, which would have been confusing had they not told us this when we made our reservation. The back door was open, and there was a plate of cookies and iced tea in the frig. A note said "welcome, and your name is on the door of your room." We found our room, which was small but fine. There weas a bigger room across the hall that was empty all night, so we weren't sure why they put the three of us in such a small room. They accommodated our son on a Aerobed-type mattress on the floor, which was comfortable and made up when we arrived. The B&B itself is nicely appointed, with plenty of antiquey-sort of collectibles if that's your thing (although we spent most of the time telling our six-year-old son "don't touch that!").

The bed was comfortable, and the house was spotlessly clean. Private bathroom was small but fine. We opted for the full breakfast, which was basic but delicious, with locally sourced foods including scrambled eggs, some of the best sausage I've ever had, local maple syrup and pancakes. They have three pricing models, with no breakfast, continental breakfast, and full breakfast. Unless you have your own food with you, I definitely recommend the full breakfast, as there is no place else nearby to get breakfast. There is a nice back porch with tables and chairs if you want to relax out there. The owners also own the bike shop right next door, which is one of the best-stocked small shops I've ever come across.

Bikes were stored in a locked basement, or in the case of our long bike, in the bike shop next door.

They have a computer for guests to use, and free wi-fi Internet as well, which was a nice touch.

When we did finally meet and talk to the owners, they were very friendly and helpful. More about that in a moment.

What could be improved upon:

As I mentioned above, the B&B is run with an absent-landlord model, as the owners live elsewhere on their farm (not next door or anything). When arriving after a long day of biking, car traveling, or whatever, it would be nice to have somebody there to answer questions, tell you were to store your bike, suggest dining options, etc. Cookies and iced-tea are great, but don't make up for the lack of a human being. Thankfully, I had been to Rockwood before, so was able to tell the other two guests where they could find food in town, etc.

At the very least they should have a "welcome packet" for each guest that explains things, gives dining recommendations, and the like. Because there is little to no cellphone service in Rockwood, it was not possible to call the phone number listed on the door to talk to the owners. We were there for an hour or so without seeing anyone other than the other two guests, then rode over into down for dinner. It wasn't until we came back, around 7:30pm or so, that we saw the owners. But, they were just getting ready to leave after putting the other guest's bikes in the locked basement. Had we not shown up when we did, I guess our bike would have spent the night outside. We also would not have known when breakfast was. So, the biggest take-away here is that communication with guests needs to be improved.

Location-wise, the B&B is across the river from Rockwood proper, and there is no place to eat in the immediate vicinity. I recommend the pizza shop in the Rockwood Opera House. It doesn't look like much, but they make really good pizza and salads.

Freight trains do run through Rockwood all day and night, with the attendant air-horn blowing, but the inn is far enough away where it isn't as bad as it could be. That's just a fact of life in many of the small towns in this area, which were literally built around and for the train line. Nevertheless, I highly recommend taking earplugs along for a sound night's sleep. The inn is also directly across the street from the local VFW post, and we were awakened several times (even with earplugs in) by loud engine revving and people "laying wheels" out of the parking lot (note: to the dude with the beat-up old Ford station wagon in the VFW lot: sorry, man, laying rubber in an old station wagon doesn't make you cool). We were there on a Friday night, so I imagine this wouldn't be as much of an issue on a weeknight.

So, overall, plus marks for the B&B facilities, the bike shop next door, very friendly and accommodating owners (when you finally get to meet them), and convenience to the bike route. "Could improve" marks for lack of communication, no place to eat in the immediate vicinity, and being right on the road. I also think when you are running a B&B sort of place, you should have someone there during the time when people usually check-in, like between 4-6 or something similar, to make sure any problems or questions are taken care of.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank BriPhilly

Reviewed May 16, 2011

The Trail House B&B is very conveniently located along the GAP trail and a good stopping point between various towns. The house was wide open so, after dropping our gear, we just walked in. The house is clean, but a little too cluttered with country kitch. The property can best be described as "self serve." There was a wine cooler stocked with local wine in the kitchen and we used the refrigerator and tea kettle at will.
The biggest disappointment was the town people and lack of dining options. This is small town USA and they aren't open minded to alternate lifestyles.
On the other hand, Debbie and Lynn were very accommodating and flexible with our group. Lynn was helpful with bike clean up, supplies and helping us get ready for the remainder of our trip. Oh, they have laundry facilities too.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank cyrusrad
Reviewed October 12, 2010

Rockwood Trail House B&B has the pefect location on the biketrail-We could ride 22 miles to Confluence, a neat little town, and about 12 scenic miles to Meyersdale in the opposite direction. There is an awesome bike shop and I bought a new bike from Lynn, the owner of the shop. He couldn't have been more helpful in adapting the bike to my needs. I wanted different shifters and a few other things. I love my new bike.
We just walked in the Band B and read the note from Debra: Your room has your name on it. Help yourself to cookies and tea. It was really helpful having Lynn stop by in the evening to put our bikes in the basement for us. It saved us from locking them up near the house or worse, putting them back in our Subaru. We slept great but we had ridden 30 miles and the bed was very comfy, the very clean private bathroom was really nice. The breakfast was delicious and Lynn came by early to get our bikes out for us. We hada wonderful time and will return.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Palannie
Reviewed September 28, 2010

the house is located on a fairly busy road; a train, only about 100-200 yards away, announces its presence about every 70 minutes throughout the night. The American Legion is directly across the street - not a good thing on karakoe night.
breakfast was okay
hosts were kind

it is close to the trail - which is great

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 26, 2010

I arrived and the door was open. Debbie said she would be there or her husband would be at the bike store so I could put my bike indoors for the night. No one was there. The B&B door was open and I went to find a note saying my name was on my room. I went to find my way upstairs and looked at 4 rooms that were vacant and not made up. There was dirty linen on all the floors. My room was clean and locked but it was very odd to see all the open rooms and no one had taken care of it that day.

I went out to find something to eat and returned again to an empty place. No one ever came to greet me and I was in the place by myself. It was a very odd feeling. I did not even know how to lock up the house.

My bike spent the evening outside. Debbie did have breakfast that was good in the morning. But staying the whole evening alone with no one even greeting me was just too odd. There are lots of dolls all dressed up to which made it even more spooky.

To top it off, there is a busy road next to the room and the noise woke me early, 5:30AM - diesels powering up the hill. Their photos on their website look like the place is in the woods but it is next to a very busy road.

This place was a nightmare. Don't stay there.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed July 26, 2009

The Rockwood Trail House offers more than convenience along the Great Alleghany Passage. The rooms are large, comfortable and offer nice little amenities. You're made to feel "at home" in using the main rooms of the house and if you're on a biking trip, nothing is more convenient than having a shop next door. Really good pancakes, too!

Stayed: July 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 29, 2008

My husband and I spent one night here while bicycle riding from Washington DC to Pittsburgh. The inn is right next to the Great Alleghany Passage bicycle trail, which is extremely convenient. It is decorated in a country style and is clean and quiet. In addition to the inn, the owners have a well-equiped bicycle repair/rental/retail shop and are friendly and helpful. Not much to do or see in Rockwood, but if you happen to be traveling the trail, this is a convenient place to stay.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Rockwood Trail House? Share your experiences!