“Real golfers will love the place!”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Wanango Country Club
Ranked #1 of 1 things to do in Reno
Reviewed May 15, 2012

First went to Wanango as a teen with my dad and brothers to play in an invitational golf tournament when it was a private club back in the early 70's. It was a beautiful well-manicured course tucked in the western PA mountains that I have always fondly remembered as I've grown older. The club went semi-private a few years ago and 40 years after my last visit my two older brothers and I met there again for a few days of golf.

The course was exactly as I remembered it. Still well-kept and a pleasure to play a nearly 100 year old classic Ross/Tillinghast design. Unlike many things from our past that change from what we remember when we revisit years later - this didnt disappoint.

The new ownership at the course was very accomodating and friendly and I would highly recommend the mixed grille room for any meal - based on the menu choices which were excellent; the chef was someone you'd expect to find in a high end restaurant.

The trip was almost surreal - stayed at the same hotel and eating at one of the two restaurants in Oil City we ate at when we were kids. Both under newer management but still the same after all these years. Our waitress at the restaurant actually started out there back in the day and remembered the tournament. Its not a golf trip for someone looking for a modern resort style experience or a modern design. This is a great stop over for any golfers with a sense and appreciation for golf course history and classic design turn of the 20th century. There are only a few other things to do in the area...a lot of local history with the Oil Industry, but not that much to do in Reno/Oil City although we did find some interesting roadside stands driving around the area. Its a great destination for any group of golfers looking for an inexpensive getaway for a few days and focus on playing golf.

Planning on another summer return trip this year.

1  Thank Dennis225

Been to Wanango Country Club? Share your experiences!