“Not awful, but below-par”

Red Lion Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 1 Red Lion B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 4, 2013

While the Red Lion is tastefully and charmingly decorated (could've done without the confederate flag image though - but that's me), there seemed to be no real attention to anything else. Granted, the wife, Danielle, was away at a garden show or something (according to another guest) and George was the only one running the place, while also caring for their two (adorable!) children, 5 years old and 7 months. I had to find George at around 11 pm when we discovered that there were no Wifi instructions in our room. (We'd checked in earlier but left to attend an event, not returning until late). Both my husband and I had work that needed to be done and internet access was crucial. So, unfortunately already in my bathrobe, I very uncomfortably headed downstairs and found George in the area where his family lives. That's when he gave me the wifi password and apologized for the oversight of not having done so earlier. Something about the printer not having ink and forgetting the wifi instructions had disappeared from our room. Whatever. Not the end of the world, but inconvenient. I wrote it off as a forgivable oversight. Not a deal breaker. However, when I arrived at breakfast the following morning at the agreed upon time, I sat in an empty room for several minutes with no George in sight; no water, no juice, no coffee, no fruit. Nothing. So, I sat uncomfortably, wondering if George knew I was even there. The door to his family's abode was wide open (which I found in poor taste) and I could clearly see and hear his children playing with, I guess, their grandfather and a couple of fairly noisy toys. Not the getaway I had in mind. That's probably around where I decided this would be my last visit. Eventually, a shoeless George appeared. I asked for coffee and then asked if they had half & half or cream. "We have cream", George said, and went to get it. He returned with a small carafe of "cream" and when I poured it, it was clearly milk. A few minutes later, when he returned I asked, "Are you sure this is cream? It pours like milk". That's when he told me they only have milk, no cream. Guess he thought I wouldn't know the difference. Tsk-tsk. For me, it meant no coffee which, for me, is tragic. (I know, I know. Only people who like cream in their coffee will feel sorry for me). My husband joined me a few minutes later and we were told what would be prepared for the breakfast we looked forward to. In our experience, which is vast, Bed & Breakfasts "always" have some special recipe that they show off at breakfast (stuffed french toast, a delicious frittata,. . .) but no. Not here. They served an egg & cheese sandwich on a croissant (the kind you can get at McDonalds and Dunkin Donuts) with partially warmed, but mostly cold, (cold!) tasteless potatoes and bacon. So between the really disappointing breakfast that an 8 year old could make, the insult of attempting to pass off skim milk as cream, sitting in a room with a clear view of the untidy play area of 2 small children, however adorable, (uhhh. . .with the confederate flag staring at me), we shall not return. The good news is that we promptly found a Starbuck's and the East York Diner (Blueberry pancakes! Yum!) and all was well. In conclusion, if you're looking for a cute place to stay and don't care about them feeding you anything good, and don't mind hearing small children early in the morning, even from your room, you'll be fine.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Colonial Room with a private bath and found it charming. Needed the extra blanket...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank ALCConnecticut
redlionbb, Owner at Red Lion Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2013

Both George and I have to apologize that your breakfast was not of the highest quality. I assure you that the cream/milk issue wasn't that "he thought that you wouldn't know the difference" but that he thought that you were ok with either option. As a chef, I understand that there is a difference and that this is something we will need to watch more closely. We also planned out a menu that was not effective for George during a busy weekend. Typically I am around to help with breakfasts on Sunday morning and we very often serve pastries and quiche from my bakery. This past weekend, we had an overwhelming response from the PA Garden Show of York and all my spare time was spent on baking for that event instead of details that needed to be addressed for the B&B. We have a policy of not responding to reviews because the positive and negative thoughts provide a real picture of our B&B. But in this case, George had even commented he felt it was a below average breakfast experience before you had posted the review. We hope that you will reconsider and give us a second opportunity to impress you.

Reviewed September 1, 2011

In town visiting family on a Wednesday. We thought the traffic noise from the freeway would be a problem but it wasn't at all. Nice room, clean, comfortable; grounds quiet, well kept. We appreciated the screen door onto the patio (fresh air freak). Bed very comfortable. Only tiny little complaint was the waaay too loud yakking of the staff, right outside our door in the morning for a half hour. Otherwise, nice place.

• Stayed: August 2011
2  Thank want2go2
Reviewed April 23, 2011

My spouse and I stayed here for the Uncork York Tour de Tanks one weekend in March. We were traveling with another couple who are very good friends of ours, and we stayed in the Springhouse behind the main house. This turned out to be a great set-up, as we had two bedrooms each with a private bath - one upstairs and one downstairs - so that allowed a lot of privacy. The house also had a small living room, dining room and a full kitchen. Very clean and comfortable. We had only a short walk across the backyard to the main house for a delicious breakfast. Our hosts - Danielle and George - were very accomodating and allowed us to check in early so we could drop off our stuff and then go about our day. The house is only a few blocks from the main street downtown. Very lovely stay, and we look forward to visiting again.

Room Tip: Note that some of the bedrooms share a bathroom
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jayvjay
Reviewed September 12, 2009

This was a very nice place in the residential section of a small town. The house was kept up very nicely, not fancy or extravagant, just pleasant and clean. The owners were unobtrusive, yet helpful, and the breakfast was good, though not fancy. ( I would have liked to have had a sample of the owners' baked goods since she runs a wonderful tea room and bakery in the town! ). Since our room shared the main bathroom with someone in the next room, I was a bit reluctant at first but it was not bothersome at all. We have stayed at several other B & B's, all of them unique in their own way. This place was what one would expect in a small town in York County and would be a good choice if you didn't have visions of anything other than being in small town USA and wanting a good value for your dollar. If you enjoy the more intimate experience of a B & B's vs. a hotel, this would be a good choice for you.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank williemonroe

Been to Red Lion Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!