“Great Food-Great Place”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed April 22, 2013

we went to the restaurant on april 11 for our anniversary.wife and i both had the chesapeake trio.shrimp, scallops and crabcake,plus two sides. we go to the saloon several times thru ought the year,and have yet to have a bad meal.i have had ribeye steak,done to my liking,melt in your mouth prime rib andcream of crab soup,delicious.great atmosphere.you wont go wrong if you try it.

Reviewed April 15, 2013

I don't know what changes in management have occurred at this restaurant, but a recent visit was disappointing. Neither the food nor the service was as good as we have experienced in the past. The menu has changed, which isn't necessarily a bad thing as restaurants need to adapt and stay up to date, but there are fewer options with nominally higher prices. The place seemed to be run by kids: We had to wait at the entrance for the hostess to stop flirting with a waiter and actually turn around and see us; our waiter was pleasant but generally inattentive and clueless; a bus boy dropped a large tray of dishes; etc. Our entrée portions were generous but execution was lacking. A main dish salad was very overdressed. Salmon was overcooked and dry. Chicken Madeira was a sloppy pile of oversauced mashed potatoes, chicken and asparagus under melted cheese. The restaurant was fairly busy for a weeknight so diners are still coming. Let's hope maybe it was just an off night. The décor is still quirky but inviting, so that remains a plus, but both the kitchen and front of the house need work.

3  Thank JavertPA
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We stop in here pretty regularly. I think their Filet Mignon is hard to beat, and the sweet potato fries are pretty good too. Great place to grab a big salad. I tend to skip the menu and go with the specials. They serve tavern fare to steak & seafood. You'll see big crowds on weekends and even on a week night there is often a wait early. I think that speaks for itself. Yes, the menu did change recently and we haven't entirely explored that yet. if you like dark and moody, the ambiance is your style. I'd call it Wild West/Americana with a halloweenish twist. The wait staff are regulars too.

Reviewed April 6, 2013

We went to the Great American Saloon in Red Lion on a recent Thursday night. The menu has changed since our last visit and not necessarily for the better. Some of my favorite items, which included garlic pecan pesto, pasta asparagus, and the angel hair pasta, are no longer on the menu.

My daughter ordered the Chesapeake trio, which consisted of shrimp, crab, and scallops. She chose mashed potatoes and broccoli as sides. Her meal was all right, but not as good as when she ordered it on our last visit.

I ordered a pasta dish with bow tie noodles, tomato, and sausage, in a light tomato sauce. The entrée came with soup or salad. I opted for the chicken miso soup. It was very salty and tasted liked it had come straight of the can. The pasta and the sauce were average.

My wife ordered the “Great American Cheese Steak,” which consisted of rib eye steak with sautéed mushrooms, onions and peppers covered with cheese and served on French bread. The sandwich came with French fries. The steak was very tough and hard to chew. She regretted ordering it.

Overall, our visit was just average. American Saloon just dropped of our list of go-to restaurants.

1  Thank hoopscoach-dmar
Reviewed March 23, 2013

My family gather together once a month and go out for dinner. We always go to a different place each time. This month we picked the Great American Saloon. The food was great and was still hot when it was served. Our waitress was wonderful. She was on top of everything. Her helpers were serving and she knew right away when a order was wrong and took care it right away. Waitress like her will always bring us back. I would like to thank Barb for a great family dinner nite. We will be back and we will recommend to others.