“I too am not sure where Spanishbottom ate!”
Review of Union Barrel Works

Union Barrel Works
Ranked #2 of 2 Restaurants in Reamstown
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Pennsylvania
“I too am not sure where Spanishbottom ate!”
Reviewed February 28, 2014

Had great beer!! Crab cheesecake appetizer- very good. Had Gourmet Sausages- venison, buffalo, and wild boar - loved the wild boar - very tasty!! Served with mashed potatoes and a red onion sauce. Delicious and verygenerous portion. Lasted me two meals. Went back the next night to try some of the other exotic menu items!!! Great atmosphere, great beer, great food. What else do you need?

• Visited February 2014

“If you are in the area go, but don't go out of your way.”
Reviewed January 26, 2014

We had been looking forward to eating at Union Barrel Works. We enjoy craft breweries and this was recommended to us since it was in our area.

When we looked at the menu, there were some eclectic choices like Elk Meatloaf and Craft Sausages that were Wild Boar, Elk and Venison. When the waitress came to tell of the specials, there was something with Camel meat in it. Then she proceeded to tell us the items that were NOT on the menu anymore and the changes to the Craft Sausages that were listed on the menu. Now the menu is just printed paper inserts to a plastic menu, so I am not sure why they wouldn't change them instead of letting you look at the menu for 15 minutes and then come an tell you what they don't have anymore.

We then asked the waitress if the meats were fresh and local and she couldn't answer that question. She said she had worked there for several years and I thought that it should be something that she could answer. She said that a salesperson came to sell the meat so she didn't know. We had the crab cheese cake and mozzarella cheese moons for appetizers. They were edible, but not great.

There were several of us but only four that had entrees. The crabcakes were dry and broke apart, the Craft Sausages were o.k., I thought they had a sour taste, but my husband thinks that is how the meat is supposed to taste (boar and venison.) My husband had the salmon and wasn't sure if it was fresh or frozen. Our friend had the black and blue beef tips and he really liked his meal.

We then had desert that were "homemade" by staff members. We had the tiramisu, salted caramel apple pie and chocolate mousse. There wasn't anything special about any of them.

As for the beer, they didn't have the IPA that my husband went there for. So he tried a few of the others but ended up leaving without filling his growler.

All in all, if you are in the area, go, but don't make a special trip.

• Visited January 2014
Bath, Pennsylvania
“What a great time”
Reviewed November 21, 2013

We are a wonderful lunch! Double Scottish Ale and elk meatloaf sandwich with sweet tater fries with maple syrup! I started with a champagne scallop soup which was delicious! I love the décor and the waitress was nice. I actually got up (between beers) and walked around to check out the local beer relics! Cool. This is a rehabbed old building and it looks great! After our lunch we drove a couple of miles to the Green Dragon outdoor market! Great place in the Lancaster area!

We went with friends and everyone enjoyed their meals and my friend and I enjoyed our beers. Thanks to the wife for being a designated driver..I drank three pints. Pumpkin Ale was great!

My friend raved about his prime rib sandwich and it looked good.

This is a neat place to visit...not far from Reading and not far from things to do if a day trip!!! Go for it. I bet this place is great on a Friday night!!! I wish it was in my backyard!

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank Chuckfrombath
Ephrata, Pennsylvania, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Looking for food as well as beer...”
Reviewed November 16, 2013

If you're looking for good beer, this is the place to go, but on the other hand, if you're looking for good food...steer clear. While the filet was cooked perfectly, there was absolutely no flavor. The vegetables were actually burned...I'm sorry, but how do you burn the vegetables? There was little to no flavor in any of the food we ordered. I believe the owner really needs to kick it up a notch on the food department! The waitress was lost...literally had to go looking for her! We tried this place 6 years ago and thought, what the heck, let's give them one more try...not going back.
I can think of about 10 other restaurants int he local area with considerably better cuisine and much better service.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank Jennifer H
Jersey Shore, New Jersey
“Great food, great service...well worth the trip”
Reviewed November 15, 2013 via mobile

Been visiting here for years. Mango beer was awesome this summer. Love the trout soup. However my favorite is the crab cheesecake. Great place for a weekend drive.

Visited July 2013