“Very Pleased”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed June 16, 2013

We were skeptical about this restaurant because of the previous reviews .Especially from Spanishbottom. What restaurant did you go to?????? I thought the food was excellent. The service was top rate and the atmosphere was unique. The hostess gave us a bit on the background of the restaurant which was quite interesting. They gave us complimentary appetizers besides the ones we ordered which I thought was very generous. We are not beer drinkers but we thought we would give this restaurant a try. I'm glad we did. There were four of us and we each ordered something different. My friend is a very picky eater, but he was more than satisfied with his meal. I would definitely recommend the place and the atmosphere was a nice change of pace. The staff was GREAT!!!!!!!!!!

1  Thank sierraPennsyalvania

Reviewed May 18, 2013

It is our theory that a number of boutique brewers with restaurants think that their good beer will make it unnecessary to serve good food. The Union Barrel Works fits into this mold. The food we had lacked flavor and the portions were skimpy. Until the owners get serious about the restaurant side of their business, we suggest going elsewhere.

1  Thank Spanishbottom
Reviewed April 28, 2013

Stopped in on a Sunday afternoon for a quick meal and a beer.
Had the prime rib and cheese sub and frech onion soup,was very good and the beer i had was also very good. My friend had a dinner the pasta primavera with chicken and I alsdo tastedit and was very good. And the price was good and had specialon pints. Will go back.

1  Thank rogp3
Reviewed April 11, 2013

My husband and I ate at the Union Barrel Works on Sunday and we enjoyed it very much. I love historic buildings and this looks like an old building that had kept a lot of character. We started off with two different beers so we could taste each others. I ordered the round boy stout, which was a dark beer with lots of character it had undertones of coffee flavor, it was very good. It was more malty than hoppy which is important to me. My husband ordered the hefeweisen and it was very reminiscent of beer that we had drank in Germany.
The food was very good and plated to look very appealing. I had the pork medallions sauteed in wine and then drizzled with a honey barbecue sauce. It came with garlic mashed potatoes, peas and a salad. My husband was more adventurous and ordered the trio of sausages. One was wild boar with cranberries, another was buffalo and chipoltle and the last one was venison with blueberries. My husband said the were all extremely good, it came with garlic mashed potatoes, peas and he chose the soup to go with it. We definitely had no room for the delicious looking desserts we saw going by. The dining room became quite busy while we were there but our waitress was very attentive no matter how busy she was. I only wish I could remember her name. The place was very clean and was not noisy considering there was a poker game going on in the back corner of the dining room. Over all, we would definitely like to return.

1  Thank tpatti
Reviewed March 29, 2013 via mobile

We came here with our friends after hearing them rave about it. They recommended it because they know we love mom and pop places and micro brews. This place met that criteria.

First impression - it is in an old building with gravel parking lot. I've learned to not judge a book by its cover because done of the vest food I have had has been in dives.

Upon going inside we noticed that the place was very clean. The decorations were sparse but ok . The inside was very roomy and comfortable(only good part of the place)

After waiting about 15 minutes our server arrived and wanted to take our food order. After telling him we wanted drinks he became a little nervous. Our served was very pleasant I just think he was inexperienced- no big deal.

Food- I am very easy to please. Many times after eating at places people have made comments that they didn't like the food and I had liked it. Here I can say is the first place I will never return- ever.

Our son and friends kid got the chicken fingers. Neither was eating them. I tried the chicken fingers. Dry, rubbery, and bland is the only way to describe it. How do you mess up chicken fingers.

I ordered bruschetta as an appetizer. It appeared that they took bread out of a bag and melted generic cheese over it. Not impressed at all- but I was hungry and ate it. Almost tasted like cafeteria food.

Next came the burger and fries. The burger was unseasoned hamburger and that was it. No taste what so ever. Completely bland is the only way to describe it. The fries were the same - bland .

The manager or owner did check with us twice to check how things were and was doing the sand for every table. We are not complainers so we just smiled and said fine. Besides, how do you tell someone that they are doing nothing correctly.

Beer- for being a micro brew - I don't know how they are in business. The beer was again very commercial like. For those who enjoy unique beers- skip this place. If you are not a beer conesuer - you will be fine.

Dessert- I skipped dessert but my wife and her friend got it and both said that the desserts were good and the only thing they enjoyed.

I can honestly say that Union Barrel Works failed on every level. I would have given it a 1 star but the food was edible- bland- but edible.

Skip this place and try somewhere else. If you think I'm being over critical check my reviews and see that I am fair.

2  Thank HB92397