“Huge Disappointment-Nothing Good”

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Pennsylvania
“Huge Disappointment-Nothing Good”
Reviewed March 29, 2013 via mobile

We came here with our friends after hearing them rave about it. They recommended it because they know we love mom and pop places and micro brews. This place met that criteria.

First impression - it is in an old building with gravel parking lot. I've learned to not judge a book by its cover because done of the vest food I have had has been in dives.

Upon going inside we noticed that the place was very clean. The decorations were sparse but ok . The inside was very roomy and comfortable(only good part of the place)

After waiting about 15 minutes our server arrived and wanted to take our food order. After telling him we wanted drinks he became a little nervous. Our served was very pleasant I just think he was inexperienced- no big deal.

Food- I am very easy to please. Many times after eating at places people have made comments that they didn't like the food and I had liked it. Here I can say is the first place I will never return- ever.

Our son and friends kid got the chicken fingers. Neither was eating them. I tried the chicken fingers. Dry, rubbery, and bland is the only way to describe it. How do you mess up chicken fingers.

I ordered bruschetta as an appetizer. It appeared that they took bread out of a bag and melted generic cheese over it. Not impressed at all- but I was hungry and ate it. Almost tasted like cafeteria food.

Next came the burger and fries. The burger was unseasoned hamburger and that was it. No taste what so ever. Completely bland is the only way to describe it. The fries were the same - bland .

The manager or owner did check with us twice to check how things were and was doing the sand for every table. We are not complainers so we just smiled and said fine. Besides, how do you tell someone that they are doing nothing correctly.

Beer- for being a micro brew - I don't know how they are in business. The beer was again very commercial like. For those who enjoy unique beers- skip this place. If you are not a beer conesuer - you will be fine.

Dessert- I skipped dessert but my wife and her friend got it and both said that the desserts were good and the only thing they enjoyed.

I can honestly say that Union Barrel Works failed on every level. I would have given it a 1 star but the food was edible- bland- but edible.

Skip this place and try somewhere else. If you think I'm being over critical check my reviews and see that I am fair.

2 Thank HB92397

York Haven, Pennsylvania
“Nice beer selection, very good food”
Reviewed March 10, 2013 via mobile

We enjoyed a number of this brewery's beers while dining. They have a nice variety of offerings. Our server was very attentive despite the place being quite busy with some larger groups. Our food overall was very good, the elk meatloaf was a bit bland, the pork medallions were excellent, and the chicken salad was very good. We tried creme brûlée and a dessert wine for for dessert and found both of them excellent. It's a neat repurposed building, a bit noisy but fine.

Sinking Spring, Pennsylvania, United States
“microbrew beer and more!”
Reviewed February 26, 2013

My wife and I brought family from upstate NY to check out the UBW. The beers were great and the food was fantastic. Everything from seafood, French Onion soup,prime rib and more. We thoroughly enjoyed the atmosphere, the piano player, and the discussion of the history of this old landmark in Reamstown with the Hostess....Fantastic!

Lancaster, Pennsylvania
“My "Cheers"”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Admittily, I am somewhat bias about UBW. I have been coming to this restauraunt since day 1. I have always felt welcomed and got to know the staff well.
Why do I keep coming back? Well, the beer is excellent with seasonal specials added to the standard taps. The menu is quite large for a brew-pub with good mix of entres, starters, sanwiches and salads. In fact some of the starters can be shared or be had as a meal on its own (for example the chicken wings or mussels) On weekends, there are generally special entres and live music.

Lancaster, Pennsylvania
“Fishy taste”
Reviewed February 3, 2013

Drove through a snow storm to try this place out. Heard is was good. Well the Beer was good, nothing special however, but the food was horrible. We got the Beer Fries for starters. They were under cooked. Tasted like slimy raw potatoes with a fishy cheese sauce. Then we got a Chicken Pesto and Philly Cheese Steak with Onion rings on the side. The Chicken pesto was okay, but the Philly Cheese Steak was no better than Quaker maid minute steak on a roll. The Onion rings also had that nasty Fishy flavor like they use the same deep fryer to cook Fish, Fries and Onion Rings. I washed the flavor out of my mouth as soon as I got home. Next day I had stomach ache and head ache like I got food poisoned.