“just "ok"”

Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Reading
United States
“just "ok"”
Reviewed October 20, 2006

This hotel was booked for me for a conference I attended in the area.

Our cab driver was very specific that this was not a safe town to walk around in, especially alone. That was a bit unnerving. I did not encounter any problems though.

As for the hotel, the lobby was nice. I went to the workout "center", which is a very small room with an elliptical, treadmill, bike and home-gym-like lifting station. TV with remote was a plus. For a hotel of this size, the center could have been bigger, but was enough for me.

The breakfast was pretty good. I had an omelet; I didn't pay attention to prices as my breakfast was paid for with a voucher. I did notice that the chair I sat in was stained as was the menu. This gives me the impression of a dirty restaurant, but the china and silverware were clean.

My room was anything but spectacular, unfortunately. It was very large and that was nice. The room was stuffy and had a slight odor. The air conditioner did not help at all, and just added to the stench in the room. The bed was uncomfortable, and I heard every word spoken by the people next door.

The room obviously received a quick cleaning, but I definitely noticed the stained carpet, scuffed doors, and the hair in my coffee pot. The ironing board was disgusting with the pad half hanging off and stained. The iron was old but worked better than mine at home!

The staff was very pleasant and courteous. They were the best thing about this hotel.

I would not stay here again, nor would I recommend this hotel to anyone. However, if you are looking for a cheap one night hotel, this may be for you. I think the rate was around $74. Can't beat the price, really.

I hope this review helps.

• Liked — The staff; price was decent
  • Disliked — The room
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank travelingrocks

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Hoboken, NJ
Reviewed September 10, 2006

While I was pleasantly surprised with how nice the lobby and restaurant / bar area of this hotel was, the rooms left much to be desired. We booked a room with two double beds for four people and the beds were definitely closer to full sized as opposed to double. The room was definitely big enough for two queens so that we unfortunate. In addition, the beds were horribly uncomfortable with the main complaints being, scratchy sheets, and old, thin matresses that you could feel the springs through.

When we entered the room it looked as though there had been some water damage as a large piece of plaster from the ceiling was on the floor. We did not request to be moved since we were in a time crunch to get to a local event.

As mentioned in other reviews, the room was stuffy and the A/C didn't work properly. On top of that the windows did not open. The bathroom was huge, but not in a good, luxury way. It actually looked like a converted hospital room or something. The tile in the shower was moldy and the toilette seemed as if it was going to give out at any minute.

The staff seemed helpful and because we were only there for one night we didn't complain about any of this, but I get the feeling if we did they would have been more than accomodating.

• Stayed September 2006
Wilmington, DE
Reviewed September 1, 2006

This is a beautiful hotel, and our check-in staff was more than wonderful. The rooms are well appointed and comfortable, and parking is convenient. The problem is that this historic hotel shows its age in worn (and filthy – my mother swears) carpets. We had a room on a smoking floor, and it was obvious that ventilation is poor. This was particularly bad for me because I don’t smoke and it just seemed to hang in the air – there was no adjustment to ventilate with the AC unit and the windows were sealed. We ordered room service and were very impressed with the food, but our tray was still outside of our door when we returned from attending a 5 hour concert.

• Liked — Proximity to our concert venue
  • Disliked — Cleanliness, ventillaion
  • Tips/Secrets — Choose a non-smoking floor
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank Carey_C
Cental New Jersey
Reviewed June 20, 2006

My son and I stayed at this hotel while in Reading. It was a beautiful, old hotel in the heart of Reading. The problem is, the heart of Reading needs some economic redevelopment. Don't plan on walking anywhere, especially at night. There is a lovely bar and an upscale restaurant but nothing to keep a child amused. I would stay there again with another adult (husband, sister, friend) but not alone.

Stayed May 2006
1 Thank vickyredhead
maryland
Reviewed May 18, 2006

First of all let me begin with the staff, they were very nice. The tried to make our stay nice. The room was stuffy, there was no air circulation. The air conditioner was not working properly. When we went to the front desk to get our room key, we were right in the middle of a wedding. AT THE FRONT DESK TACKY. I would be plenty pissed if people were walking in th middle of my wedding. I feel this hotel needs a overhaul. I would not stay here on my next visit. I have been to other Wyndham hotels and none looked like this one

• Stayed May 2006
1 Thank kisses4u2try
York, Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 28, 2006

Stayed there overnight for a family function with a great rate. Booked a regular room but were obviously upgraded (without asking) to a beautiful Executive Suite since we are Wyndham By Request members. Other family members who aren't members were still given very nice standard rooms. Called the morning of arrival and requested a very early check-in and was told it would be no problem even though there was a wedding and another big event scheduled the same night at the hotel. Arrival and check-in was flawless and very efficient. Front desk staff was wonderful! Wyndham by Request room requests were not completed upon check-in, but a quick call to the front desk and they assured me that they would be arriving momentarily - and they did. Everyone in our party (5 rooms total) remarked what a wonderful hotel it was and that we'd all gladly stay there again. A very beautiful, clean and accommodating hotel.

• Stayed April 2006
1 Thank Denise T
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 12, 2006

My husband and I and three other couples stayed here for a overnite getaway. Staff were extremly friendly and helpful. It was clean and well kept. We ate there buffet breakfast which was good as long as you can eat eight dollars worth of food. We had signed up before our stay to be a Memeber By Reqest, you can get this info how to become a member off their web site. With this (free) membership we were able to reserve a traditional room and the day of our arrival were bumped up to a suite which was very nice. The suite is very large, the bathroom was big, but they could of have place a table and chair in it so you would have more room to hang your clothes and put your toiletries. Also with this membership they deliver welcome gifts like wine and cracker/cheese trays or whatever you choose from their list. When we go back to visit we will most likley stay here again. We had dinner Sat. evening at the Crab House, check it out, wonderful dinner.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Reading
Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Reading
Homewood Suites by Hilton Reading
Inn at Reading
Inn at Reading
#5 of 7 in Wyomissing
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wyomissing
Fairfield Inn & Suites Reading Wyomissing
Days Inn Reading Wyomissing

Been to Abraham Lincoln Hotel? Share your experiences!