“The worst hotel experience of my life.”

and 1 more site!
Abraham Lincoln Hotel
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Reading
Ontario, Ohio
“The worst hotel experience of my life.”
Reviewed July 15, 2014

I was very hesitant to write this review as I am not sure if my experience is unique or the norm. I don't like the thought of rating a hotel so low just because of one bad egg, however I feel compelled to share my experience.

My wife and I planned a historical road trip from Ohio to Massachusetts. We had several stops and were trying to find a perfect place to stay between Sleepy Hollow NY and Hershey PA. We decided Reading would work out good and when I found the Abraham Lincoln I thought this is perfect.

We left Sleepy Hollow a little later than we expected but we still should have gotten to the hotel at a decent time. We ran into some very unexpected traffic and construction that delayed us several hours. We didn't even reach the hotel until midnight. I was disappointed because of how early we had to get up in the morning and how we really wouldn't be able to enjoy the hotel. When we finally found the right door to enter we walked up to the check in desk. The lobby itself was absolutely beautiful and had several nice areas to sit and had a second floor with an equally beautiful bar room. This is the only thing we were impressed with.

The front desk was empty. There was a wedding party and a fraternity there that night so there were quite a few people walking around. Too many people in my opinion to have the front desk unmanned. My wife and I stood at the desk with our luggage for at least half hour until an employee showed up holding a pillow and a blanket. He did apologize and he said he was the only one there that night. With a hotel this size how is this even acceptable or safe? We understood his dilemma and accepted his apology. He gave us our keys and up the elevator we went. When we got to our room there was a do not disturb sign on the door handle. Part of me thinks this might have been forgotten which in itself would be hard for housekeeping to do and the other part of me doesn't want to bust in on someone else's room at 1230 in the morning. Needless to say we tried the keys anyway, several times, and they did not work.

We headed back down to the lobby and surprise surprise the front desk was empty again. After waiting another half hour we decided to make the best of it and went to the bar. At that time the bartender called last call so that put a damper on that situation. I walked all over the hotel trying to find the attendant with no luck. We were going to ask the bartender but initially didn't because he seemed extremely overwhelmed. After dealing with a frat and wedding party this is very understandable but after 45m we finally asked him what to do. He apologized several times and was very sympathetic. He had to call his manager who then had to call the employee on his cell phone. 15 minutes later the elevator opens and out walks the employee with what seemed to be his girlfriend. His shirt was clearly disheveled and he walked her out to the door and went back to the check out desk (we are now assuming what the pillow and blanket he brought up earlier were for). At that point my wife and I were fuming but we just wanted to go to bed because we had to get up early and had a long day ahead of us. He didn't even apologize or try to explain his absence but said the room was empty and the cards should have worked. At that same time another guy came down to the lobby saying his cards didn't work either. He gave us both new cards and up we went.

I could hear the guy down the hall saying his card still did not work, but ours did that time. We finally entered our hotel room ready to crash. The room was interesting. There was a desk and a pony wall between the bed and entry area which did look nice. The TV was enormous which was nice, even though we weren't going to be watching any TV. All that being said the entire entry area where the desk and dresser were was covered in a huge stain. This stain literally covered most of the floor in that area. It was a little disturbing, and to top it off the toilet would not flush. If the hotel is ok with this what else are they ok with. At this point it was past 130 in the morning and we just wanted to crash. The bed seemed ok and we crashed, woke up and got out of there as soon as possible considering the little amount of sleep we had gotten.

I've stayed at many hotels and have had good and bad service but none of them come close to this. I am sorry if this was an odd occurrence and not the norm but all of these things were still unacceptable and put a huge damper on my families vacation. As I said before I am hesitant to complain but I am debating on forwarding this to the Better Business Bureau.

Room Tip: Rooms at a different hotel would be advised.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
5 Thank Cody C
Vanessa S, Manager at Abraham Lincoln Hotel, responded to this review, July 17, 2014
Dear Cody,

First let me express our sincere apologies to you and your wife. We are very disappointed that you had a negative experience with our hotel. We will be addressing the staff that you encountered and will make sure that this does not happen again. I hope that you enjoyed the rest of your historical road trip.

We want our guests to enjoy their time here with us. It saddens me to know someone did not have a pleasant stay. I would love the chance to speak with you personally so that we can discuss this further. If you could email me that would be much appreciated.

events@abrahamlincolnreadinghotel.com

Vanessa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Brandenburg, Kentucky
Reviewed July 5, 2014 via mobile

I made my reservation and was so looking forward to this hotel since I love old places. When I saw it was connected with wyndom I thought it would be great. The lobby was beautiful, but that was all that was beautiful. The room seemed clean but was not impressive. The lamp had a lamp shade on it with holes in it and the carpet was buckled. Kinda seemed like a not so great area of town either. I wouldn't recommend this hotel to a friend.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Tara E

Travelers are raving about these Reading hotels

Reviewed July 2, 2014

Our school used the hotel's grand ballroom for graduation and a dinner for VIPs. The ballroom was impeccable and the service...outstanding! The hotel is being quietly renovated from top to bottom and believe us, it is worth the wait!

Room Tip: Rooms are a good size and are being refurbished with new furniture and amenities...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed June 30, 2014

We have stayed here for a number of times within the last few months. The staff has been fantastic and the rooms have been very nice. It has the classic appeal of an older hotel and history not necessarily found in this day and age.They have been going through improvements and rennovations none of which impacted our stay but you can obviously see the improvements time after time. The bar/reasturant has had an excellant fare even with the rennovations ongoing to their Kitchen and dinning area. They have welcomed any comments and sincerely asked if there is anything they can do to improve our stay. We will continue to use this facility as we travel to the Reading area over the next few months.

Room Tip: We have found the rooms on the 15th floor include a second seating area with business work station t...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Vanessa S, Manager at Abraham Lincoln Hotel, responded to this review, July 1, 2014
Dear Dale,

Thank you very much for the wonderful and thoughtful review! We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us here at The Abraham Lincoln Hotel. We look forward to having you back in the near future.
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
Reviewed June 30, 2014

This hotel was surprise. In downtown Reading, it has recently been renovated and looks great. The lobby is real old school and room modern, clean and spacious. The breakfast was modest but the bar very nice. I would go again, but downtown reading is not ready for prime time. Pretty run down.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Eric,

Thank you very much for your thoughtful review. We always welcome any feedback that our guests have to offer. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed our hotel and that you had a pleasant stay.

Downtown Reading is constantly improving in all areas and we are excited to see what the city has to offer in the near future. We are very hopeful that the downtown area will be a "happening" place to be very soon.

We look forward to having you stay with us again!
Doylestown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 29, 2014

The hotel seems to lack professional management. The staff is friendly enough, but everything seems to be done ad hoc with little structure. The front desk was unmanned most of the time and you are pretty much left on your on to wander around the hotel to find out what it offers (not much). They appear to be trying to restore some parts of the hotel, but seem to be falling short of doing a quality job. The room we had was quite large and clean. It could have used extra furniture like a sitting chair. All-in-all it is basically a sleep box.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Joseph_F52511
Dear Joseph,

I sincerely apologize that you did not enjoy your stay with us here at The Abraham Lincoln Hotel. We take our guests concerns very seriously and I will look into these issues immediately. We are in the process of renovating certain areas of the hotel and I am sorry if this caused you any inconveniences. If you have any other concerns, Please feel free to contact me directly at events@abrahamlincolnreadinghotel.com

I hope that we can accommodate your needs in the near future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Reading
Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Reading
Crowne Plaza Hotel Reading
Crowne Plaza Hotel Reading
#1 of 7 in Wyomissing
Courtyard Reading Wyomissing

Been to Abraham Lincoln Hotel? Share your experiences!