“I didn't know what to expect from the outside”

Abraham Lincoln Hotel
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Reading
Reviewed March 22, 2012

I got a room here through Priceline. When we pulled up I didn't really know what to expect, the neighbourhood is a little sketchy and the one way streets make it difficult to get where you need to be. They could be a little clearer that you have to pull into the paid parking garage in order to check in but eventually we got into the lobby. A very grand lobby on a small scale. Check in was very efficient and friendly.

Our room was big enough, nothing special but we had no complaints. The hotel is obviously older so there is some wear but nothing too bad.

My son was intrigued by the mail slot by the elevators. And we were both curious about what is on the lower floors (the hotel starts on 11).

I would stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Glenncca
There are newer reviews for Abraham Lincoln Hotel

Reviewed March 18, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed in this hotel because we were attending a concert at the Sovereign Center a few blocks away. I was skeptical pulling up to the hotel because the area is in a vert "rough" part of town. When we got there, the parking was easy to locate around the corner of the building. We entered the ornate and attractive lobby and checked in. When we got off the elevator on the 16th floor it was warm and stuffy, like a nursing home. Our room was just as bad, maybe worse. I tried to set the A/C unit to "very cold" but it never blew cold air, even though it was on all night. I woke up sweaty. The toiletries were nice. The bed was comfy, if it was not 90 degrees in my room, I would have enjoyed the fluffy duvet. The internet either did not exist or was not working. When we checked out, the staff was very friendly.

This was the only hotel available downtown and I do not believe I would stay here again or visit the City of Reading again.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 25, 2012

Stayed two nights at this Wyndham for easy access for a business trip. Staff was Exceptional! Loved Stephanie at the Desk, and Patricia and Daniel from the restaurant were Very attentive! Room was large and clean, though we did have a "leaky" window, but that is to be expected in such a beautifl, historic hotel!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank sweetpea92
Reviewed February 24, 2012

We live in the area and stayed here for a special event. Downtown Reading has a lot to offer especially the restaurants. While the hotel was clean I can't help but think of the nearby hotels that offer even more(bigger rooms and free parking). Check in was smooth with no problems.

The first impression of the room was the sweltering heat. The heat was on high and we were almost instantly suffocated(not the first for a hotel room).

After killing the heat we checked out room service. We went to place an order and we were advised that we had an old room service menu. The bartender ran up the current menu very quickly (about 2 minutes). We placed an order through room service and the food was excellent.

Since we are from the area we checked out the things to do section in the room binder. Most of the things listed were very outdated some of which were ideas that never came to fruition.

The general condition of the room was clean but small. If you are planning a visit to the Reading area there is nothing wrong with this hotel. It is a historic hotel. If you are from a bigger city you will be use to the size of the room but there are better options in the Wyomissing area a few miles away. However if your work takes you to downtown Reading and you don't want to commute-have no fears this place is clean with several nice restaurants within walking distance. Priceline had the hotel listed as 3+ stars. I give the hotel 3 stars at best.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank HB92397
Reviewed January 20, 2012

Booked this hotel in the blind on Priceline name your own price. Was pleasantly surprised when I discovered which hotel it was as my fiance' and I have talked several times about staying here. Check-in was quick, friendly and effortless. View from the 11th floor was pretty good especially at night. The extra pillows that I requested were promtly brought up to the room. The room appeared to be well maintained for a property of its age. The bathroom was also clean and appeared well maintained. The hot water was much better than other hotels that I have stayed at in the past. I liked the stay so much that I extended my stay for another night. On the second night had the opportunity to visit Melodys ( Bar in the hotel) Jeremy at the bar is an absolute asset to the hotel, very attentive, knowledgeable and a great conversationalist. The hotel has the charm and ambiance of a turn of the century hotel,down to the dark wood panels in the bar. When i called down to the front desk to request a late check out was granted one without hesitation or any additional charge. As I work in the industry I am always on the look out for the little things being done right and I must say that i was not dissapointed. if you have the opportunity to be in the Reading area rest assured that this hotel would be a great choice.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 16, 2012

This hotel used to be a wonderful old world charm place. We had stayed there several times. in hopes to see a revitalized Reading. I was so dismayed on how this is considered a Wyndham quality hotel and the deteriation of this old charmer. The lobby and lounge are so warm and inviting. That is where any charm ends. The first room 1206, we were given had a bed that had a huge dip in the middle in this very old mattress, that both people just rolled to the middle,.. funny at first... until I looked at the sheets ,ONE soo worn sheet on the bed with a dirty old throw. I am not kidding no comforter and a shredded sheet, obviously there is no head of housekeeping because this room could not of been made up properly and checked, Although our next room was not much better each room is given 3 towels,that were in shreds and had the feeling of sandpapper. The rooms are filled with mismatched falling apart furniture. The old TV and no working remote. Our bathroom tile floors have not had a good cleaning in years. The wallpaper is falling off the walls and have glue splattered all over, The hotel has cut back on its staff, quality and maintenance, terrible in this competive market. The hotel lounge was packed due to a wedding after party, but the smiling staff handle the crowd well, however as the bar was closing the bartender requested their tipps to be paid in cash to the crowd, which insulted alot of the people (when staff ask such a request..that usually means the hotel isn't giving the tips to their staff.) Kudos, to the desk clerk who checked us in, she was very professional, She did get us to another room to correct our problem, although a supervisor who was supposed to call us never did.
If a hotel chain is going to franchise its name, it better check in on the location to make sure it is living up to the quality requirements. It looks like that this old world charmer is going the way of a roadside motel... SHAME on the owners

Room Tip: Go to the Candlewood suites
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 8, 2011

Wyndham did a nice job this old hotel. Lunch was tasty, staff very attentive and friendly. The lobby and resturant still have their antique charm. We found a great fur shop (Bruno's) a few doors away from the hotel. Place was fairly empty - sure hope that "the old Abe Lincoln" can stay in business.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank SandyK528
Also consider these accommodations in or near Reading
Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Reading
Courtyard Reading Wyomissing
Crowne Plaza Hotel Reading
Crowne Plaza Hotel Reading
#1 of 7 in Wyomissing

Been to Abraham Lincoln Hotel? Share your experiences!