“Our hotel choice for show at Sovereign Center”

Abraham Lincoln Hotel
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Reading
Reviewed July 25, 2011

We stayed 1 night July 20th. Check-in was easy and our desk clerk was soooo sweet. We asked about walking back from the show and she said that she does that walk with her son all the time after shows. We felt very safe on the walk back. We stayed in room 1604, right by the elevators, but the room was nice and quiet. The TV was a new flatscreen, bed was SUPER comfortable, we had a mini-fridge, and microwave if needed. Everything was clean, and I'm very picky about the bathroom being clean when I get there. We did eat in the bar. Prices were decent and the food was good.

Although the bathroom was clean, I had to tell front desk at check out that we had to stand in 3-4 inches of water in the tub because it wasn't draining right. We had a tough time figuring out how to turn the hot water on because our handle spun in a 360. Depending on where you stopped is when you got your hot water, and it took a few minutes to get warm. And this is my own personal opinion, but they need to have a mirror in the room somewhere (not on the back of the bathroom door). The mirror by the sink was totally covered in steam and there was no where else with a mirror to get ready.

I read other reviews that complained about the parking. Parking was easy and convenient. Parking garage is attached to the hotel, and parking is only $6, when you get your ticket validated at the front desk. Front desk did inform us that if we forget our ticket in the car (which we did) they have extras at the desk, but make sure you get one or the other because they will charge by the hour for parking if you don't.

Overall, we really enjoyed our stay, and the next concert we go to at the Sovereign Center, The Abraham Lincoln will be our stay<<<< Thanks for a great night sleep and helping us with our questions. Your staff is wonderful!!!!!!

2  Thank trvlkitti

Reviewed July 19, 2011

I came to Reading for an overnight Sunday/Monday to attend a concert at the Sovereign Performing Arts Center and chose the Abraham Lincoln as it was only a block from the venue.

Good points:

Check in was listed as 3 PM but I called a few days before to see if I could check in about 1 PM to take a nap after my 3-hour trip and before the show. When I arrived at 12:50 PM, the room was ready.

The Lincoln is an old hotel with a beautiful lobby. My room was very nice - #1210 with wide vanity area, microwave and refrigerator besides the usual amenities. Comfy bed. Spacious. Air conditioning working well in the 90° heat. Nice view out the large window facing South.

I had a sandwich and beer lunch in Melody’s Tavern on site which was fine; downtown Reading didn’t appear to have many restaurants (at all) that were open Sunday afternoon when I was there although I did find a good little Mexican restaurant on 6th Street.

Staff was all very nice. Parking was easy next door out of the heat and off the street

The only not-so-good point:

I ate breakfast in the restaurant next morning, not knowing where else to go before returning home. I wouldn’t recommend it. It was expensive, average and slow to arrive. Other than getting in the car and driving somewhere, there are no other breakfast options in the area that I could see. Well, lesson learned.

Summary: I liked staying at the Lincoln. I would stay there again on any future trips to Reading. I would just go somewhere else for breakfast.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank redhen17745
Reviewed July 18, 2011

We booked this hotel via Priceline for about half the rack rate. I'm not sure why people complain this is an 'old' hotel...it's a historic hotel/building, what do you expect? It has character and class! Nothing appeared overly dated to me...the carpets in the halls are a bit worn, but not threadbare or horrible. My room had newer carpet/linens/wallpaper, etc. The TV and furnishings are slightly older but otherwise there was no difference between my room here and other 'newer' hotels.

My room had a microwave and mini fridge, and had a decent view of the Reading skyline out the windows (we were on the 16th floor). The beds were comfy, the hotel was quiet. Didn't have breakfast or meals at the hotel so I can't comment on those.

And the highlight: not only is this an historic hotel, the staff are a throwback to the days when customer service actually meant something. Both the receptionist and assistant manager went out of their way to treat us well. We had some questions on parking...we have a large cargo van which would never fit in the main part of the garage, but they quickly informed us about the oversized parking spaces just inside the garage which worked great. We would have never found it by ourselves. Then we had a problem with the door keys not working, and the manager came up and fixed it immediately, in a very cheerful and pleasant manner. He asked what brought us to town, and when we said we were heading to Lancaster, he brought up travel literature for the Lancaster area for us. Really above and beyond the call of duty, and service you just don't find often at hotels anymore.

Overall a great hotel and a great experience, I highly recommend it!

2  Thank irishred77
Reviewed July 14, 2011

This hotel is unique in Reading in that it's located downtown and is an historic property (built 1930). The lobby is quite lovely. But the rooms could use some updating -- they were clean enough -- just older, and definitely not luxurious (eg: fiberglass tub with plastic wall panels). It's certainly not a 4 star hotel -- barely a three, in my opinion. Parking in the adjacent garage is convenient (we paid $6 for a come and go plan). We paid $79 on a weekend night, which was a lot less than the newer hotels on the outskirts of the city.

Reviewed July 4, 2011

Room 1814, two nights.
Room in good repair.
Very spacious bathroom - ADA compliant, nicely equipped.
Our room was clean, as was the entire facility.
I see some on this site complaining that the "building "is old".
Yes - it was not built in 2009 - it is a historic property, do they understand what that means?
All of the staff were very helpful and seemed interested in us.
Parking on site was very conveinent and very safe.
We parked at the hotel and were able to walk to the Sovereign Center for our convention in a 10 minute walk.
Two shortcomuings that I noted.
I feel that the buildings old inefficient windows need to be replaced with more modern energy saving windows (they might even be able to get a government grant to help with this), and also- there was no literature in our room about the hotel's facilties.
If in Reading again next summer - we will definately be looking to stay here again.

2  Thank Cakes77
Reviewed June 14, 2011

We stayed on the 14th floor. The room was comfy and clean. Lots of pillows on the beds. Microwave and mini fridge in the room. Free wifi.

There was a loud noise and we called the front desk. They sent someone to check. No more noises after that. The tub didn't drain good on the first night. We had maintenance check it out. All good after that.

The downfall was the parking in the city garage and having to pay for it. The first night, we paid $6.00. The 2nd night was a Friday and we only had to pay $2.00.

Overall, it was a good place to stay for the 2 nights we were in the area.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank w_ma_lady
Reviewed April 19, 2011

We recently stayed here for a family event and I was very pleasantly surprised by the overall quality of the hotel and its amazing value. I would not want to stay anywhere else in Reading. The free wi-fi was great, the hotel staff was very friendly, professional, and prompt, and the room was nice.

Room Tip: rooms ending in 02 are corner kings