“Hotel Restaurant is Horrible”

and 1 more site!
Abraham Lincoln Hotel
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Reading
Boyertown, Pennsylvania
“Hotel Restaurant is Horrible”
Reviewed March 14, 2011

Our group loves to visit and dine in historic buildings. When we heard of the Abraham Lincoln, we thought it would be a great venue before seeing the local sights. Wrong. Our first clue should have been: no patrons on a Saturday night. The menu had four entrees, no specials of the evening. No one was there to greet us so the bartender seated us at a table that was not set. The waiter sauntered out, slapped menus down and said he'd be back. When he returned one of the gentlemen in our party asked if there were any of the entrees that were considered a "special" of the house. The waiter commented that none of the dishes were specials but the last chef, who just left, had make specials but "we dont do that anymore." Everything went downhill from there. Food was mediocre - what you would expect for seminar food. The bill was brought without having the table cleared, nor were we offered dessert and coffee. We asked to the have the bill split in half for two credit cards and the two checks were not even - apart by $10. Bottom line - go somewhere else....the Peanut Bar or head to West Reading.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Jersey City, New Jersey
Reviewed January 20, 2011

I know you're thinking "aniquated?", it's historic, it's supposed to be antiquated right? I get that with the structure, but this place took it to another level. First off, I read on their website that all of the rooms had 32"flat screen TVs and that it was a 4 star hotel. Not only did they not have a 32" flat screen in ANY of the rooms, but they were old TUBE tvs, not even flat screen tubes, but tubes from like the 80s. The cable was going in and out the whole time. The same goes for the computer screen in the so called "business center". That's a joke. Tube monitor as well with one computer and a printer. I'm sure they could pick up a flat screen monitor on craigslist for $10.

The entire hotel was EMPTY and very dark. The carpet in rooms, elevators and common areas was very old and dingy looking. Like another reviewer said, I wouldn't walk barefoot in this place at all. Some highlights were that the bed was comfortable and the shower was clean. No complaints there. But there is a lot more negative things to write about.

I always like to iron my shirts before my business meetings, but when I got the iron out, half of the sole plate was covered in black stuff making it not usable. I then proceeded to the restaurant for breakfast. NOT A SINGLE PERSON WAS IN THERE. Seriously, no one was at the host stand, so I proceeded to walk around the entire restaurant and the bar. Nobody. So I went into the ktichen--nobody. I had to walk back out to the front desk to have them get somebody. What is going on with this hotel? IF you have to stay in Reading, PA, I would pick any other hotel. It has to be better than this one. And skip Reading all together if you can and stay in neighboring Wyomissing. Their hotels are much, much better for the business traveler.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank happytray
Wilkes Barre
Reviewed January 13, 2011

Very cool historic hotel in the otherwise dank downtown Reading. I was in town with a friend for a concert at the Sovereign Center and this was iwithin walking distance. A pleasant surprise, the hotel is actually nestled into an apartment/office building. It was easy to park and get into the hotel and the lobby was well appointed. The bar had good food and drink and set the mood for a fun evening. I would highly recommend the Lincoln to anyone going to a show downtown...the room was a suite for a VERY cheap price and it was indeed a huge room overlooking the city. The town closes up early, as does the hotel bar...so it was a short night after the show.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank strtofdrms
New York
Reviewed November 23, 2010

Four stars? Maybe for Reading, but this is by no means a four-star hotel. The hallways were a bit dark and dingy, as were most of the common areas. My room was in great need of an update, and I wouldn't walk on the carpet barefoot. The room wasn't necessarily dirty, but not sparkling either. Wallpaper was peeling off the walls in the bathroom, especially near the shower where the wallpaper was stained brown.

I'm glad I didn't have to spend much time in the room...it would have been depressing. Nice people, though. And I guess the price was right.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank LonesomePine
Owings Mills, Maryland
Reviewed October 13, 2010

We stayed here one night over this past weekend, but I was a little leery after reading the mixed reviews for this hotel. You can tell that the hotel is housed in a very old/historic building, but I must say that my room, along with the common areas, were very clean. I was kind of looking to scrutinize, but the hotel lived up to the Wyndham reputation in my eyes. Also, my room (king, non-smoking) and bathroom were relatively large. I'd most likely stay here again.

Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank cabtrin
North Carolina
Reviewed July 30, 2010

We purchased two rooms at this hotel on Priceline. Unfortunately, Priceline listed this hotel as 3.5 stars in the bid process and we were stuck with it. This hotel is located in an unsavory part of Reading, the whole aged building, including the main entrance and hallways are dimly lit. The carpeting and upholstery is stained. The pillow cases in our bedroom had dirt marks on them. The whole place smelled musty. The sinks in both of our rooms did not drain. In a word = Dump!

I have listed the service as a three because there was a nice young woman at the front desk, but beyond that I would suggest to all that you avoid this hotel. The Wyndham chain has their work cut out for them...if they even care.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed July 3, 2010

My family and I stayed at the Abraham Lincoln Hotel in Reading, Pa for our annual religous convention. What a charming hotel! The customer service was absolutely the best I've encountered in a long time!! They made us feel so welcome, like we were old friends.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank Beesmith
Also consider these accommodations in or near Reading
Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Reading
Homewood Suites by Hilton Reading
Inn at Reading
Inn at Reading
#5 of 7 in Wyomissing
Fairfield Inn & Suites Reading Wyomissing
Days Inn Reading Wyomissing
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wyomissing

Been to Abraham Lincoln Hotel? Share your experiences!