“Looks like they rent this place by the hour” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Rodeway Inn

Rodeway Inn
Ranked #10 of 10 Hotels in Reading
Maryland
“Looks like they rent this place by the hour”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2007

Had three rooms booked for a two night stay for a short family vacation. Ended up checking out after one night. This was undoubtedly the filthiest, most disgusting place I have ever stayed. The rooms smelled of mold and urine; no working door locks or smoke detectors and the refrigerator had a towel in it to soak up the leaking water. There was one wall plug for the entire room which had a six-socket adaptor with six wires plugged into it. Looked like a fire waiting to start. Bathroom consisted of a toilet that must have been lifted from a high school gymnasium stall. Tub had black footprints and someone else's hair in it. Moldy black grout covered the walls and the soap holder was broken off the wall. I went to the front desk to request a can of cleanser and a sponge to clean my own tub and was asked to "shush" because I was too loud with my request!

Every public area is covered in filthy greasy fingerprints, even the entrance door to the lobby! Wallpaper is peeling off the brown-streaked walls and the room furniture is falling apart. I had to remove the mattress to check for bedbugs before going to sleep. At 10:45pm the local (one-block away) ball stadium set off a fireworks show. I thought it was a gunfight in the courtyard area and almost called the police! I lost my prepaid $285 by checking out one day early and the front desk refused to give me a receipt indicating my overpayment. Their excuse was that I didn't owe anything so "the receipt would just come out blank anyway". I called another hotel within hours after checking in here and moved immediately the next morning. The manager I spoke with at the new place I reserved said he frequently has calls from guests at the Ramada asking to move.

I didn't have the stomach to try to visit the restaurant/bar. There was a motorcycle club parked in front of it most of the time and anyway the room took away my appetite.

If you still want to stay in this place, I suggest you do it quickly before the Board of Health shuts it down.

• Liked — The fact that I survived one night there
  • Disliked — That I lost $285 for checking out a day early
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank rjknjk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2007

I'd have to say this was the worst hotel we have ever stayed at. The facility was dirty and not at all maintained. We had a shower that would not drain. The first night we were there I called the front desk to have somebody come and take a look at the drain. Nobody showed up. I called again in the morning and again nobody. We had a wedding we were in town for, thank god a family member was just down the hall, my husband and I were able to take showers in their room. We finally got somebody to check out the drain in the shower on day 2. No apolgies, no compensations, nothing. The owner/manager of this place does not know what customer service means. I would stay away from this place!

• Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
      Business service (e.g., internet access)

Travelers are raving about these Reading hotels

NY
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2007

This hotel was possible the worst hotel we have ever stayed at. We were first hit in the face with the most horrible smell in the hallway leading to our room. Our children wanted to go into the pool, that was semi clean, yet no towels on the towel rack. The staff said they would bring some out. Never did. Even after asking again. Then we were locked out of our room, children freezing from the pool without towels, and the master key that the hotel had didn't work. We waited over a half an hour, still without towels before I went inside to see what was happening with our room, where I was informed it was open and they just neglected to let us know. The shower area in the bathroom was moldy and the tub has chunks of porcelin missing. The floor was obviously not cleaned for some time. When we called the Ramada 1-800 number they informed us not to make a complaint until we left the hotel because they have had incidents of people being treated badly and "other" things happening. Staying in our car would have been better. There are plenty of other hotels in the area. Try one of those!! PLEASE!!!!!!!!

• Liked — Not one single thing
  • Disliked — The filth
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank soupylee
Leesburg, VA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2007

My stay at the Ramada Inn in Reading was a pure horror ruining my weekend. The room was filthy. There were cigarette burns that went through the top comforter down to the sheets. I would not let my dog sleep underneath the pilled and nappy blanket. Housekeeping come and change the bed, but the bed clothes were no better and we simply slept under sheets. There were waterstains all over the ceiling in the room and bathroom. The key lock on the outside door facing the parking lot was ripped from the door. The wall paper banner around the ceiling was ripped. My husband pulled the bedstand away from the wall and found a mouse trap. The phone and remote, etc. were so sticky I had to go to a local store and buy disinfectant wipes.
This place is undoubtedly mis-managed as the clerk at the front desk was completely indifferent to our complaints. He actually laughed which lead us to believe he agreed. Not to mention, we spoke to other guests who concurred that they had changed rooms and agreed that this was a horrible place to stay. In short, I would like to say that my weekend was ruined, as I could not sleep thinking about mice in the room.
Finally, I made it clear at check-in that we had already been charged for the room by the booking agent. We were still charged when we checked out, although my husband didn't catch this. We are awaiting the credit for the double charge. I had to call the booking agent to arrange for this. We should not have had to spend a cent for this terrible experience.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
East Brunswick, NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2007

stayed here last year and agian this year. The price, the location not far from downtown ( if thats where you want to go) the people were nice. All in all, pretty good for the price.
The restaurant is not great. sports bar food. the property looks a bit old but it seems like it was renovated recently.

• Stayed January 2007, traveled on business
Pittsburgh, PA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2006

I'm used to the higher end chains through work but for this family trip we decided to save a little.

Everybody was really nice from the point that we entered, to when we asked for some extra towels and stuff, to the folks in the restaurant, to when we checked out. I asked the front desk clerk about what I'd read here and she mentioned that they had recently completed a remodel that management was consumed with. Not sure what they did but everything seemed to be in good condition.

I would stay here again.

-M

• Liked — People
  • Disliked — No Gym
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with family
New Jersey
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2006

Advertisted by Philly Bead Fest/Lapidary Journal we thought we'd have a pleasant stay. This place turned out to be a dump! We were booked incorrectly in a smoking room and were not switched to a non smoking room even after they were informed of their mistake and of my asthma & allergies.

The room was filthy! The bed had cigarette burns on it and the lock was busted on the outside door. They claim the place was renovated in 2005 but it looked as if it hadnt been fixed up or cleaned in 15 years!

The shower was falling apart and the floor was obviously dirty. They attempted to clean my room by spraying imitation lysol to cover up the smoking stench! I kicked them out.

The bar/restaurant attracted an unpleasant group by 9:00 PM. Thank goodness for the Papa Johns right next door!

Stay away from here at all costs!

• Liked — There was nothing to like!
  • Disliked — The filth!
  • Tips/Secrets — Avoid this place at all costs!
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Reading
Econo Lodge Northeast
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#7 of 10 in Reading
Days Inn Reading Wyomissing

Been to Rodeway Inn? Share your experiences!