“Disgusting!”

Ranked #10 of 10 Hotels in Reading
Mifflinburg, Pennsylvania
“Disgusting!”
Reviewed April 30, 2013

I seriously don't even know where to start. The man at the front counter when we arrived was horribly rude. We had been told we could get an early check-in due to an event we were part of and when we get there, he went off the deep end. Finally get him to give us one room where we can change. The woman speaking to him was told "The room is still dirty but you can use it. No complaining. Goodbye!" Is this really how you want to present yourself right off the bat?
Once we finally got our rooms (Which that was even messed up as we were supposed to have adjoining rooms. Hmm, last I checked having 9 rooms between you was anything but adjoined.) I was really debating sleeping in the car. The picture above the one bed had toilet paper stuck fast to it (and god knows how long it had been there or what it was stuck fast with) so I ended up sleeping with my head at the foot of the bed so it wouldn't fall on me. There was also a roll up chunk of TP in the peep hole so you couldn't see into the hall because I was taking no chances of touching it. Then each time we went out on the balcony, if we wanted to go back in through that door, 2 of us had to practically body slam it for it to even open.
If you're looking forward to a nice breakfast bar, forget it. Just do yourself a favor and bring along some pop tarts.
About the only good things I can say are as follows: 1) We could see the fireworks from the Reading Phillies games. 2) There was some kind of blooming tree that looked nice. 3) If you happen to love the show Cops, you're in luck! You can get a live version as there were almost always cops within sight!
Luckily we won't be back in Reading for years (if ever) so I won't have to deal with this place again. You couldn't pay me enough to stay there!

Room Tip: You want a good room? Book it somewhere else.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
West Milton, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed April 30, 2013

Not only were the rooms completely gross and unclean and bug ridden. I felt dirty while I was there and when I went home. Nothing worked correctly including some of the staff. It was the worst customer service I have ever encountered! You DO NOT treat customers like that. There was no ice, I door didn't work properly, the lights didn't work correctly. I DO NOT RECCOMEND THIS HOTEL TO ANYONE! It's pretty sad when you leave somewhere you have to come home and wash everything even if you didn't wear it! We asked for clean towels and got told to reuse the ones from the day before. We were told not to " No Complain, goodbye" by the front desk person. I will never set foot in another Roadway Inn again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Go across the street to the comfort inn!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Blue Bell, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 21, 2012

We didn't stay at this hotel, but attended a wedding here (also, note that it is now a Rodeway Inn). From the moment we drove into the parking lot, you just get the feeling that this hotel is skeevy. The grounds are not taken care of at all, and there are people just hanging out in the parking lot shouting at each other and double parking.

Once you walk into the lobby, a smell of mold just invades your olfactory system. You can tell the lobby area is quite dated. Shortly off from the lobby is the "banquet hall", which is quite a small room for any type of wedding. The buffet they hold for it is in a tight hallway where barely one person can walk through. Inside the banquet room there is mold and water stains on the ceiling. We saw flies buzzing around and even found two spiders in bowls on the table. The waitstaff look like they are just bartenders called in from the bar next door as they are dressed in jeans. This is a place we couldn't wait to get out of.

I wouldn't recommend anyone come to this hotel for a wedding or to stay or to even ask directions to another hotel. Just keep driving...fast!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank GNRMatt
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed May 20, 2011

I drive a semi tractor and trailer and was in Reading making a delivery and stopped because it was in the area where i had to go. It was the nastiest, filthiest most disquesting place I have ever stayed. I wanted to take a shower to end the hard day and relax before going to bed and the shower and tub was so nasty I couldnt bring myself to even get in it. They have tried to paint over the mold and mildew and it is bleding right back through and the plaster they have put in the walls is cracking and breaking out, the paint is pealing. IT IS JUST DISQUSTING REALLY!!!!! If you don't beleieve this email me at Jones741987@yahoo.com and I will send you more pictures.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank Lowbridge669
abvireading, Manager at Rodeway Inn, responded to this review, June 7, 2011
Dear Traveler,

Your feedback is very important to us and we appreciate the fact that you took the time to let us know that your stay was not up to your expectations. We apologize for this and we have recently changed housekeeping cleaning products and trained/hired new staff. It is our goal to provide all of our guests with quality service and comfort at an exceptional price.

We hope that you will give us the opportunity to make any necessary improvements and will stay with us again or another one of our Americas Best Value Inns located throughout the country.

Regards,
Tina-Manager
Americas Best Value Inn-Reading PA
Ontario, Canada
Reviewed July 26, 2010

The title pretty much sums up the highlights of our 2 night stay.
- Our telephone was broken, so we had no way to contact the front desk.
- The non-smoking room smelt so badly of smoke that I had to Febreze my luggage, and leave it outside in the sun for 3 days to get the smell out, and it still lingers when the luggage gets damp, a year later!!
- We found mouse traps behind the nightstand (unoccupied, thank GAWD!!) and others we talked to said the same.
- The bathroom was filthy, to the point that I showered with my flip flops on - and used the towel I'd brought from home.
- When we WALKED down to the front desk to complain (walked there, because our phone was broken!) , and ask to switch rooms, the staff told us there was nothing they could do, and had no more rooms. The girl at the desk tried to be nice, but was obviously totally worn down from all the other complaints.
- There is a nightclub in the lobby, and there was loud music, swearing, and a fight that broke out while we were coming in on our 2nd night.

I've been to many budget type hotels and been very happy - but this was horrifying! I can't imagine how this hotel is allowed to stay open -does the board of health not check on this type of thing??? I honestly considered sleeping in my car on the second night.... No kidding. It was that bad.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
ABVI2545, Manager at Rodeway Inn, responded to this review, September 27, 2010
During this guest's stay the hotel was sold out. There were no other rooms available. It is our practice to make our guests happy and comfortable. We did at that time have trouble with our phone system and since then the phones are working without trouble. We have even increased our wifi service! Our rooms are being updated and renovated on a daily basis. We have completed 3/4 of our rooms to date. I was not aware of the use of mouse traps in the rooms, however we do not use them at this time. Unfortunately we do have guests who continue to smoke in our non smoking rooms. The smell is very hard to remove without repainting the room. We continue to improve our hotel daily and we have many very satisfied guests. As the manager of the hotel I do listen to our guests and if there is something we can improve I make those changes.
KWC49
Reviewed July 31, 2009

My Mother an i went t o this motel his month just a few days ago , since my dad passed away i have been the one taking her on her trips ! we have never had such a nightmare with a motel like we did with this one ! i have been waiting on a call back from the manager which i mistanaly left something very important behind , we did not have phone service , we did not get our wake up call like we where told by the staff we would , our electric went out , we had a non smoking room an found empty packs od smokes under the bed ! what is wrong with this picture????? i have never had to do a report on a motel we have stayed in in the past 6 years! my mother brought me to pa for a very very best friend that lost her father so i could be with her an this is what hapen ! trust me for now on i well double check rooms before we say in them !
kentucky!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! they call me kwc

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Cholmes4246, Manager at Rodeway Inn, responded to this review, September 30, 2009
Since July of 2009 our hotel has modified it's management. The front desk manager has been changed as well as new staff added with significant training in customer service and hospitality.
I am truely sorry that this guest had such a terrible stay with our hotel.
I have contacted this guest and informed them of the changes in the hotel and offered the guest another stay with us.
We can not be held responsible for items left behind in our rooms. However I spent a week in search of finding the item this guest left with no luck. I have appologized and can assure future guests that we will continue to improve our hotel and the training of our staff in order to make our guests comfortable and satisfied.
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed October 10, 2008

this place is not only flithy but scarey!!!

we booked 10 hotel rooms to attend a weekend conference... one of the ladies on our trip went into her room and there was a man showering. someone was yelling "help" outside of another room. and the "club"... GROSS.

seriously... save your money. i left after being there for only about 2 hours and went to another hotel.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Reading
Econo Lodge Northeast
Inn at Reading
Inn at Reading
#5 of 7 in Wyomissing
Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Reading

Been to Rodeway Inn? Share your experiences!