“U don't have 2b a member! 2go2 oktfest or any other event!”

The Reading Liederkranz
Ranked #50 of 315 Restaurants in Reading
Cuisines: American, German
Reviewed September 10, 2013 via mobile

Oktfest & other events: DON'T HAVE 2B A MEMBER!
GO! One of best East Coast Oktoberfests. What makes it special:
1) gluh wine (warm spiced wine rarely offered at Oktfests)
2) melted camembert cheese w/raspberry sauce & crackers
12) large tented area with seating, lit at night, with bar
13) Beautiful harvest time decor! Charming vignnettes everywhere
14) Plenty of volunteers directing parking
15) Adorable and funny mime/puppeteer appeals to kids & adults
16) Clean clubhouse bathrooms (but better bring extra TP-gets busy)
17) Roving accordian player; he's charming and smiles a lot
TESTIMONIAL: I've been a vendor @ over 30 Oktoberfests including world's 2nd & 3rd largest, and Reading Leiderkrantz' is a charming, fam-friendly atmosphere that should be on every festival goer's

1  Thank lassofthehighlands

Reviewed July 18, 2013

Memorial services were being held for a long time member the same nite we went to the buffet. So I am hoping they were short people in the kitchen this nite and that is why the food was so bad. Three of the items were so salty we could not eat them. The potato soup was all cream and was so salty it almost burned our tongue. The galumpki's were strange, tough cabbage in a salty brown sauce. I've always had them in red sauce, maybe the brown sauce is from a different region of Germany. The goulash had pork in it, I thought goulash was made with beef. The chicken in the divan was very tough. Also tough in the chicken marsala. The spaetzel and buttered noodles were great! And the crusty rolls and salad also was good. We won't go back again for the buffet. We will try the regular menu and see how that is with the new cook. This is a private club and you must be a member or go in with a member. Membership is pricey. They did just lose their regular cook so maybe they are in transition. The place is quaint and has the real German feel. You won't get any more German than this place! And they are smoke free, most clubs aren't. It is a great, unique experience and we are going to give it a second chance. Oh....and the ladies who were rushing around trying to get the buffet open were lovely ladies and worked so hard.

3  Thank Carole N
Reviewed December 9, 2012

I am from California and visited friends in Reading who brought me here. I loved this place! It's a social club that you have to be (or know) a member to enter. We went on a Friday night after Thanksgiving. The place was hoppin'! The bar was lively and friendly. It was so busy that we sat in the dining area at first.
The food is amazing! I have the jaeger schnizel and spatzel which was so tasty. I loved evey bit of it. The servers are great.
They have live German music played by Kermit. He is tireless and makes it so festive.
Special Note: Reading has the 4th largest Octoberfest at this location.

2  Thank dustyelisa
Reviewed October 3, 2012

good food truly made you feel comfortable and close to Germany. I would tell anyone who enjoys good German food to try the Reading Liederkranz

Reviewed April 22, 2012

Although I am not a member, friends invited me two times recently on a Friday night. Everyone is very friendly and the servers and bartenders are great! Aside from the fantastic beer selection and unique foods, what really makes this place AWESOME is a wonderful musician, Kermit, who plays the accordian. Trust me, it is a fun night - even if you never enjoyed accordian music. Just do it.

1  Thank TimDoubleBass