“Tasty food, large portions”

Anthony's Trattoria
Ranked #10 of 313 Restaurants in Reading
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed December 6, 2012

We have been wanting to eat at this restaurant for years. We finally did. We were there on a Wednesday when they have their crab cake special. That is what I had. For $16.99, I started with a very good (large) salad. Then came 2 very large, broiled crab cakes which were nearly all crab meat - no filler, served with a baked potato and broccoli. My husband had oil and garlic pasta with calamari - also $16.99 - which I thought was a bit expensive. We also had a carafe of the house (Citra) wine, which I thought was a very expensive $30. We did not ask the price before we ordered. Had I known the price, I probably would have selected a bottle of wine. A nice toasted bread was also served with the meal.

The food was very good, the service was excellent and the restaurant was decorated very festively for Christmas.

I looked over the prices on the menu and things seem to be a bit overpriced. I think it is because they seem to feel they need to serve huge portions. Both my husband and I took "doggie bags" home. I would prefer more reasonable portions and a lower cost. We will definitely return, but it is too pricey to be a regular dining spot for us.

4  Thank luvroma2
There are newer reviews for Anthony's Trattoria

Reviewed October 29, 2012

I have eaten at Anthony's several times over the past few years. The food is always fresh, well prepared with ample servings. I particularly like their roasted hot peppers in olive oil which is served with ample qualities of lightly toasted Italian bread. If you are a hot pepper lover, this is not to be missed. The only negative is the beer and wine selections are limited but sufficient.

Reviewed October 2, 2012

Just on the other side of Mount Penn from Reading, PA is the best Italian restaurant in the county... maybe the state. -- Anthony's. Nothing I could write would do justice to their menu -- Superb food, beautifully presented, tastefully served. I love this place.

2  Thank bobbutton
Reviewed September 13, 2012

We've eaten at Anthony's several times and have never been disappointed! We generally get something with seafood, and whether it's the variety platter, the soup, or a fish dish it's always superb. Atmosphere is nice--a little more upscale and reasonably quiet. Nice place to meet friends, eat, drink and talk. Highly recommend this place!

1  Thank Reading_travelor
Reviewed August 19, 2012

Anthony's gets the coveted 5-star review because, to me, this restaurant holds many memories. I was only ten years old when my parents began taking me here -- one of my first 'fancy' restaurants -- once a marking period if I maintained A's on my report card. I've been coming four (or more) times a year for eight years now, and more or less call this place my home.

The service -- my family and I are lucky enough to have several members of the waitstaff who know us as regulars (and even remember our usuals!). The waiters we usually ask for, Brian and John, are both top-notch and extremely efficient.

The food is always delicious. Complimentary garlic bread is served, as well as warm zeppolis (fried balls of dough) covered in powdered sugar. I always order the same meal here; though I've always wanted to try something different, it's just so good that I crave it. Start with a cup of Italian wedding soup. The broth is delicate and delicious, the chicken tender and the perfect amount of meatballs and vegetables. Next, salad (which comes with most entrees) -- I recommend the creamy italian dressing, but the house dressing is also very good. My entree is always prime rib, cooked medium rare, with angel hair pasta and marinara sauce on the side. Perfect, and for all the time I've been coming here it's only been overdone once or twice (a good batting record, I would say, and even then not enough to ruin the meal). For dessert, it changes weekly, but if they have the Dark Side of the Moon cake (for chocolate fiends only!) I would highly recommend. Moist chocolate cake with layers of chocolate mousse and an incredibly rich chocolate ganache frosting on top. If not, the peanut butter pie and the black tie cheesecake were both extremely good as well.

The bottom line? I admit that Anthony's is not (objectively) the best restaurant I've ever been to. The place isn't perfect, and I realize that my five-star review is highly subjective. But I love this place, and would still recommend it to anyone in the area who enjoys a good, authentic meal at a good price. Though I'm heading off to college now, I still plan on visiting as often as my schedule will allow.

1  Thank Ashlyn F